Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Broken toe - will it ever heal? >

Broken toe - will it ever heal?

Broken toe - will it ever heal?

Old 07-01-2011, 04:08 AM

oh yes, several times on both feet. All you can do is keep it taped to the next toe, so it will heal straight. I was told a Dr can't do anything but tape it up for you.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

I have broke my toe several times. It just takes time to heal.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:15 AM

I did that on a vacuum cleaner. By that night I was having sharp pains all the way up to my knee. Went to the emergency room - they xrayed it and taped it to the toe next to it. I had to keep it taped, re-taped for about 3 weeks. Hope yours heals faster.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I have broken may toes over the years ( lots of other bones as well). Every time I have gone to the hosptial for the broken toe ... I sit ... wait and wait ... go and wait in x- ray... wait and after about 6 hours they say "well you broke your toe(s)" . Keep the them elevated , take asprin for the pain ( some offer a prescrition) ... and send me home. They don't even tape them anymore. I even rebroke two toes about 3 weeks after the first break ... same response .. ."elevate , keep off , take something for the pain".
I have usually felt some relief after about a week, but back to normal about a month. Lots depends on how old you are ... condion of the break etc.
Same here. RICE...Rest, Ice Compression, Elevation or whatever makes you feel better. Have it checked. I thought I had broke my toe, but actually the toes had broke away from my foot. I went around for days singing ,Floppy toes, floppy, floppy, toes.....to the tune of "Sloppy Joes, sloppy, sloppy joes"....I think it was the meds.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:54 AM

OOOOOOO, take care of it, you might have more problems with it in the future. Blessings, Ruth
Old 07-01-2011, 04:54 AM

I broke my little toe while sitting in my recliner once. :-D Last year after my son's wedding I broke a toe, too. It took about a 3 weeks to heal. You will need to wear something on your foot to protect it from being bumped but that's all you can do. I sacrificed a pair of shoes by cutting out a hole. It looked funny and it was a conversation starter. So, take it easy, and use your other foot on your sewing machine.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:04 AM

It can take as long as 5 weeks to heal because of course you have to walk on it. They don't do anything for a broken little toe so save your money. You can tape it to the toe next to it. That will immobilize it. I grew up barefoot and have broken toes many times.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:34 AM

I broke my toe in Oct and it still gives me problems at times. Hope your's heals faster than mine did. I didn't go to the dr even though my DSIL is a dr. I've broken a toe before and there isn't much you can do. I did tape my toe to it's neighbor for a couple of days.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:42 AM

Yes, I broke my toe,but not that bad. Mine did not bruse that much, but it took about 3 months to feel normal again. There is nothing they can do for it except put you in one of those lovely shoes( boot) for a while.
Originally Posted by nance-ell
My foot in motion slammed into an immovable object (the tire stop in my garage). :thumbdown: It was the day of my family reunion, so I limp around, get the car loaded and head out. The pain wasn't really all that bad that day. Then I take my shoes and socks off that evening and it's already turning a nice deep shade of purple. Next day, all my toes are purple and 1/2 of my foot too! The bruising is almost all gone, but I'm still limping. It's my little toe - still swollen and so, so sore. :( I haven't had it x-rayed. Not sure that it's worth spending the money. Just wondering how long it's going to be before I can walk normally. Anyone else done such a crazy thing?
Old 07-01-2011, 05:52 AM

I have a broken bone just behind my big toe. It has been shooting sharp stinging pain since Jan. Finally went to the drs. in May to find out why. All they did was give me a dancer pad to protect the bone. Dr said it could take 6 months to heal. Still shoots the pain if I'm on my feet alot, so guess its not healed yet.