Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Broken toe - will it ever heal? >

Broken toe - will it ever heal?

Broken toe - will it ever heal?

Old 06-30-2011, 07:09 PM

I have broke the last 3 toes on each foot at one time or another. I have never went to the Dr. for it, first time I broke one tired the cotton ball with tape to keep it straight. The rest of them I just soaked them in epson salt several time and they are fine. Good luck
Old 06-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Granna of 5
I have broke the last 3 toes on each foot at one time or another. I have never went to the Dr. for it, first time I broke one tired the cotton ball with tape to keep it straight. The rest of them I just soaked them in epson salt several time and they are fine. Good luck
Same here...Epsom salts soaks really do help (and if you have citrus trees tip the soak water after its cooled around the tree - it gives juicier fruit). The best cure is resting...therefore quilting, so it's not all bad.:)
Old 06-30-2011, 07:14 PM

I would definitely go get it checked out, you don't want to take a chance of it not healing right. Maybe something can be done to make you more comfortable while you are healing. I dropped a small EMPTY plastic trash can on the top of my foot a few years ago, broke the top of my foot in two places. I was in an air cast for almost 4 months. Doctor said the older you get the longer it takes to heal.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
Done that. It took several weeks to heal. Put a little bit of cotton between the injured toe and the one next to it. Use medical tape to tape it to the one next to it and then a couple times around the foot to immobilize the toe. That's what the doctor did for my DS when he broke his toe.
I've done this, too. A comfortable sock and snug fitting shoe felt the best to me for a while.

Hope you feel better soon!
Old 06-30-2011, 07:33 PM

Your little toe might not be the only thing you injured. Too many bones in a foot to count. I would get it checked just to be sure.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:54 PM

Is there any chance you are diabetic? If not, then more than likely all you need is time and remember to elevate your foot whenever possible. If you are diabetic or there is a possibility you could be diabetic then you should be under the doctor's care because your circulation could be compromised and healing can be a problem.

Also, age is a factor. As we age healing takes a bit longer whether we like it or not. It drives me crazy to take 4 weeks to feel better after a surgery when it used to be a few days.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:56 PM

I don't break mine so much as dislocate them....I wrap them around chair legs that jump out at me. I set them straight and tape them to at least 2 other toes.
I'm limping too right now....little toe on left foot. I use Arnica Gel for the bruise etc.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
My foot in motion slammed into an immovable object (the tire stop in my garage). :thumbdown: It was the day of my family reunion, so I limp around, get the car loaded and head out. The pain wasn't really all that bad that day. Then I take my shoes and socks off that evening and it's already turning a nice deep shade of purple. Next day, all my toes are purple and 1/2 of my foot too! The bruising is almost all gone, but I'm still limping. It's my little toe - still swollen and so, so sore. :( I haven't had it x-rayed. Not sure that it's worth spending the money. Just wondering how long it's going to be before I can walk normally. Anyone else done such a crazy thing?
I broke my little toe running from the kids with the hose and tripped on their bikes. I immediately got sick when I did it. When I recouped, I took a peek and couldn't even move it. I ended up taping it to my other toes. It was purple like yours and finally healed after a few weeks. If I stub that tow now...ouchhhhhh. If yours hasn't gotten better, I would take a quick run to get an x-ray, but I don't think they will do anything for a broke toe other than taping it? Not sure.

Hope you get better!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 08:18 PM

Broke a toe a few months ago running into a piece of furniture. No one was more surprised than me to realize that I had actually broken it! Since I knew that the doctor would probably just tape it as they don't cast that type of break, I just taped it and let it heal on it's own and it was fine. But the nail did fall off, and continued to peel off for months, it took forever for the dang thing to grow back strong enough to stay on
Old 06-30-2011, 09:07 PM

i feel for you ,try to get it check out at least for pain meds to help you walk better without pain