Buying/Selling

Old 11-14-2010, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by emsgranny
Originally Posted by ptquilts
I would just like to add,

When you are inquiring via a PM about something for sale, don't assume the seller has only one item for sale. So if you say, is this fabric still available, the seller has to write back and say, which fabric were you looking at, I have several for sale...

Also, when sending a PP or mail payment, it would be really helpful to include
Your name
Your address
Your board name
What you are buying.

Thanks, love you all...
Great tip! I created a post to that same subject. I had one lady that gave me her name for mailing paid with paypal and it was a totally different last name -- no reference at all to screen name or item. It took me awhile but I finally figured it out!!! Thanks for reminding everyone again...Makes it better for everyone.

YES! please put your board name eithr one the return address or on whatever method you pay by!
i will say, that i keep a word document with thier name,board name under it, and then the address,what they bought or swapped..etc! it helps me!
Old 11-14-2010, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by CraftsByRobin
Originally Posted by quiltmaker
I agree with GIGI.....why would you ship an item/items without already having payment in hand. Some people may want an item but if they don't have the money at the moment its not fair to the seller to ask them to wait. OK maybe for a couple of days but IMHO to expect a seller to wait longer is just plain rude. You can't purchace anything anywhere without payment at the time of purchase. Even when a store offers layaway....you can't have your item/items until you have paid in full. People take advantage of others kindness far too much and quilters are the same as anyone else as unfortunate as that sounds.
She did that to save her time, money and trips to the post office to mail as she has MS (this is stated in her initial post).

I, for one, have bought from Cheryl and she is awesome to work with. She has great items and is very patient and understanding. She's got a great heart, and believes 99% of the people are honest.

For anyone who doesn't follow through ... the shame is on them, not the seller in my opinion. Just my 2 cents worth.

I did read her initial post and all the other responses and there are numerous people besides myself that felt that to mail before payment could cause problems for the seller. I understand why she was mailing prior to payment but was trying like others to express my opinion that we never know when our generosity might be abused. I always feel awful for people that have such big hearts and then end up not being paid for whatever reason. I was trying to say that if you can't pay for an item when it is for sale you shouldn't buy it nor expect someone selling to wait for the time you could pay for it.

There have been a lot of things I would have liked to purchase online and in stores but if I didn't have the money I never would have dreamed of them giving it to me and then having them to wait until I could afford to pay for it. As for selling on this board I don't know Emsgranny's situation but many members have stated they are selling because of financial reasons and therefore need the money for a specific reason. So in my opinion whether selling because of financial reasons, reducing your stash, or whatever payment should be made immediately to the seller. Also, as I've seen many people saying that sale fell through, or whatever. This may cause a seller to lose an immediate sale from another buyer. That buyer may not go back to look to see if the item/items were actually sold or not. Sorry if you misunderstood what I was trying to say. In actuality I was supporting Emsgranny and hoping (knowing her limitations) she would be able to hold back until she got her payment.

I also agree that the shame should be on the buyer if they end up not paying but that doesn't help the seller any if they need the money. Unfortunately people take advantage of others all the time and that is just plain wrong.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:26 AM

to quiltmaker:

I did understand your comments - but I guess I am too trusting - If I sell alot of items again I will be getting a scale (as a matter of fact a very generous board member with whom I have done alot of trading with is giving it to me for xmas - cant thank her enough)...another reason I have been so trusting!!!

You are so right about holding an item by marking pic etc as sold or pending does put off potential buyers..I usually delete pics etc so that people know exactly what I do still have for sale. if a buyer does back out I have to put item back up for sale adding pics all over again-by this time that potential buyer isnt going to take a second look at sale since what she had been considering is now gone!!! She has no way of knowing item is back up for sale..It does make it very hard for sellers and even potential buyers!!

I have learned from this and if an item on someone elses post is marked pending I will send them pm to list me as backup buyer if I am interested in an item..I have been able to get several things doing this!!!

Thank you for your support - it is much appreciated!! cheryl :thumbup:
Old 11-17-2010, 08:30 AM

I quilt for others --- I require 1/2 up front and the rest on delivery. If I'm mailing, then the $$ come before I ship it. I also have a contract with them before I start. This is business -- not fun and games. Those are my terms...if they don't like it, then don't hire me.

I'm with other that said get a UPS account. You can also have PO come to your door if you're not rural. Those boxes they have now are wonderful ----
Old 11-17-2010, 10:53 AM

i have delt with both sammycat1958 and emgranny they are GREAT to work with when you buy from eather one i hope they continue to sell things. i would reather buy from quilter here than a anamous store at least you are talking to a person
Old 11-17-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by carhop
i have delt with both sammycat1958 and emgranny they are GREAT to work with when you buy from eather one i hope they continue to sell things. i would reather buy from quilter here than a anamous store at least you are talking to a person
me too..i would rather sell/buy to a quilter here. i have had no problems either way here..everyone is so nice to work with!

i am so glad you are being gifted a scale! it makes life so much easier when selling and shipping items! Good for you!
Old 11-19-2010, 04:51 AM

Thanks for the endorsement!! As a buyer you are A+ Great communication and prompt payments - many buyers can learn from you! cheryl :-D
Old 11-29-2010, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
me too..i would rather sell/buy to a quilter here. i have had no problems either way here..everyone is so nice to work with!

i am so glad you are being gifted a scale! it makes life so much easier when selling and shipping items! Good for you!
Havent got to use it yet - put a few things on so maybe I can try it out!! I am so excited about scale...I will miss the two guys smiling faces though - they are so much fun to deal with!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by emsgranny
Originally Posted by watterstide

Havent got to use it yet - put a few things on so maybe I can try it out!! I am so excited about scale...I will miss the two guys smiling faces though - they are so much fun to deal with!!!
You'll still get to see them when you take the packages in - and see how accurate you are at figuring out what you are asking for postage.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 AM

OK great!! I just thought someone had said they would pick up at my house - will have to look into it!!!