C pap users

Old 09-19-2010, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

I also wish I lived closer. Before I lost my husband I was in much the same situation and it is very difficult. If you ever need to just talk, please pm me. I truly understand what what it is like.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I also wish I lived closer. Before I lost my husband I was in much the same situation and it is very difficult. If you ever need to just talk, please pm me. I truly understand what what it is like.
Thank you, Sadiemae. The people on this board are such great friends.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:40 PM

Theoldgraymare...can you hire a night nurse for one night? He might be resistant to the idea, but sleep apnea can be dangerous, and I'm sure he'd like to keep you around as long as possible!! You need to get your testing done..for both of you!

My sister uses a c pap..she had the full mask for a while, now she has a mini mask that has two stopper looking things that fit tightly into her nostrils, I tease her that her nose will stick like that!! She doesn't snore anymore and sleeps easily. Oh..dogs (especially hers) seem to really enjoy the texture of the masks for chewing.. :lol: :lol:

I have always had a box of panty liners in the bathroom closet for a variety of things..really good dressings for still slightly draining abdominal surgeries. you can stick those suckers inside your clothes at any angle anywhere you need them!! My ex used them after two of his surgeries..way more comfy than heavy dressings and tape...doesn't rip every hair off your body ;-) ;-)
Old 09-19-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by theoldgraymare
I was supposed to go to the sleep clinic a few months ago, but there is no way I can leave my disabled DH alone all night. None of his nearby family are willing/able to do all the personal services I must do for him, so I had to cancel my appointment. Doctor wass less than pleased with me, but hey, you do what you have to do.
Please, go back to your doctor and ask more questions - or call the sleep study center and ask a few questions. They have ways of testing that don't involve a stay in a sleep center. I know, because my husband had to do it...granted, its not comfortable sleeping for those couple of days, but it does work! And, the results of using a c-pap are wonderful...since I got mine, my thinking has cleared and I don't fall asleep EVERY time I sit still like I used to! (Made going to Church a real challenge!!! (I SNORE!) )

Please, don't give up...if you need the help that a c-pap will give, there is no substitute!

Sorry, I still can't wrap my head around the Panty Liner thing, though.....
Old 09-19-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by theoldgraymare
I was supposed to go to the sleep clinic a few months ago, but there is no way I can leave my disabled DH alone all night. None of his nearby family are willing/able to do all the personal services I must do for him, so I had to cancel my appointment. Doctor wass less than pleased with me, but hey, you do what you have to do.
Do you have any hospitals or assisted living facilities nearby that offer overnight respite care? I know that is something that medicare/medicaid will often pay for.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:14 PM

I truly hope and pray you can find a way to get tested it is life changing to use a c-pap machine and it really is not good if you don't and need one.
As I side note when I got mine had to save up they are 1000.00 dollars and we have no ins. Knew of at least 10 people that had them and didn't use them they just threw them in the closet because they were uncomfortable to get used to. I'm guessing their ins paid for them, sorry for the rant just so silly not to use them when they will prolong your life.
Anyway sure hope you can get the test. :)
Old 09-19-2010, 07:18 PM

LOL well that is a good idea, but I use just the nose pillows also, seems to work good for me
Old 09-19-2010, 07:31 PM

Fine idea! But (Thankfully,) I use a full face mask. But I have used them, Sanitary pads, on wounds that were "leaking" after surgery. Works Great! I also had a time were a blood vessel just would not heal. Blood would actually shoot out of my arm across the room. My Dr just could not understand, because he never saw it or the mess. But you should have seen the nurses at dialysis scramble when it happened there! I just got to were I would grab a pad and put over it and then would go looking for help to wrap coban(that stuff that sticks to itself and not you) around it. This worked super and saved a lot of cleaning and laundry.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:45 PM

Doing the sleep study and getting/using the CPAP machine is the best thing that I have done for myself medically. My average was 117 episodes per hour. This number was way beyond serious. No wonder I was walking around in a daze.

Do what you have to do to use the machine:-) I like your creativity/ resourcefulness :-)

By the way, DH sleeps better now that he doesn't hear myestop breathing and then wait for the gasp to begin the breathing process.

It is wonderful to have a clear head to think and some energy to enjoy life!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 AM
Power Poster

I have breathing problems when awake, in addition to Sleep Apnea, and I have recently got an oxygen concentrator to help with the daytime breathlessness. Just recently it dawned on me that my full face mask for the SA has an opening that I could attache the concentrator to. Bingo! I now get oxygen to breath in additon to the CPAP pressure, and I am waking up feeling tons better.