C pap users

Old 09-20-2010, 02:23 AM

Hilarious!!! I also use just the nose mask most of the time. Occasionally I get a stuffy nose and use the full mask. I've never had a problem with my mouth opening but will keep your advice in mind and a mini pad handy!! Still laughing about this!!
Old 09-20-2010, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by kay carlson
Doing the sleep study and getting/using the CPAP machine is the best thing that I have done for myself medically. My average was 117 episodes per hour. This number was way beyond serious. No wonder I was walking around in a daze.

Do what you have to do to use the machine:-) I like your creativity/ resourcefulness :-)

By the way, DH sleeps better now that he doesn't hear myestop breathing and then wait for the gasp to begin the breathing process.

It is wonderful to have a clear head to think and some energy to enjoy life!
I so agree with you! I struggled the first night with mine about 4 years ago, but have not been without it since!! In fact, I have 2....one for travel!
Old 09-20-2010, 04:16 AM

How surprising to learn that so many uses the c-pap. I have one, but always have an excuse why I don't use it. 'got the one with the pillow and my nose runs all the time. That suggestion is very ingenious of you - I don't think I have any of those left tho - haha
Old 09-20-2010, 04:54 AM

I use the CPAP - and found another use for IT! We inflated an air mattress with it!!! LOL It was faster than the inflater that came with the mattress.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:12 AM

I love the idea of using the c-pap for filling up air mattresses. I use the machine every night. My father needed a c-pap but in South Dakota but my dad would not do anything about it. He did not even talk to the doctor about it. I really believe he died early due to heart problems. He also was deaf and blind. My doctor informed me that it does cause these problems because of lack of oxygen to the brain. My brother also needs and uses the c-pap. Please try to get the test. I really wish I could help in some way.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:04 AM

I don't have trouble with mine. In fact I have a full face mask and I hate it. I blows air into my eyes. And yes when my mouth flys open the air rushes out and makes things worst.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:23 AM

Maybe you have the pillow in the wrong direction?? Mine did that until I turned it around. My mouth is "sucked closed" - I think my dh would like me to wear it all day sometimes

Originally Posted by jfifer
I don't have trouble with mine. In fact I have a full face mask and I hate it. I blows air into my eyes. And yes when my mouth flys open the air rushes out and makes things worst.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:23 AM

So glad you posted this. Sometimes I think I am the only female in the world to have to use a cpap. Mostly men that I know of. Have had mine for 4 1/2 years. I use the nose pillows and don't have any problems with these. For at least 10 years before that I had to sleep in a separate bedroom because my husband could not sleep for my snoring. Now we can share a bed again. It's nice!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nonnie2
So glad you posted this. Sometimes I think I am the only female in the world to have to use a cpap. Mostly men that I know of. Have had mine for 4 1/2 years. I use the nose pillows and don't have any problems with these. For at least 10 years before that I had to sleep in a separate bedroom because my husband could not sleep for my snoring. Now we can share a bed again. It's nice!
No, there's a lot of us. WARNING: If you sneeze when you have it in....you'll spend the rest of the night laughing!!!! My husband said it sounded like I'd blown a head gasket!!! :mrgreen:
Old 09-20-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by theoldgraymare
I was supposed to go to the sleep clinic a few months ago, but there is no way I can leave my disabled DH alone all night. None of his nearby family are willing/able to do all the personal services I must do for him, so I had to cancel my appointment. Doctor wass less than pleased with me, but hey, you do what you have to do.
They have machines that monitor your breathing that you can take home to use for diagnostics. Ask your doctor about them. It may only be that they can be used after you have established a baseline reading in a sleep center, but maybe not. It's worth looking into because if you do have sleep apnea, it can cause major problems. My diagnosis said I was waking myself up 67 times and hour...that is one time a minute! No wonder I was falling asleep at the wheel while driving to work, not to mention general issues with attentativeness. My life changed almost overnight when I started using my C-Pap. That was 12 years ago and I have not missed a night with it in all that time.