Camera Help

Old 01-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Banned

Thanks Moonpi....I tried portrait. Does this look any better than the first picture? I'm going blind looking at them! LOL Maybe I just can't get the kind of picture I want because the fabric is so busy.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62866.jpe  
Old 01-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
those funky chickens are coming across bright and clear. Sometimes it's the PC monitor that makes the pics look different.
Well you know...they do look better on my laptop. :?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

I would get a little better lighting in the area where you are taking the picture and use a light/white background to set the blocks on. I agree that the distance you are able to get a clear photo on the different settings is important. And lastly, the angle at which you are taking the photo will change the perspective,
Old 01-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

So how goes the camera issues? get anything resolved yet?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cutebuns
So how goes the camera issues? get anything resolved yet?
I'm still trying different settings. I get much better pictures outside on the deck but when its 20 degrees its hard to go out there! :twisted:
Old 01-04-2010, 06:03 PM

one issue. You are changing your point of focus when you are standing vertically (upright) and shoot something horizontal (lying down on the table)
The camera is focusing at a distance...lets say, 18 inches. Which works for the center row. The front row and the back row are NOT 18 inches away.

That being said your focus looks clear enough. What are your other settings at? Are you shooting at high or low resolution? The newest coolpix (my hubby got me a play camera for xmas so I dont have to always lug around my big one) has a great menu for options.
Chose Macro (flower).
But understand it. Do this. Grab your coffee mug, sit it in front of you, set camera on macro, and shoot the handle of the mug, being sure you can see the stuff sitting on the desk in the background.
If you look at this, you will see the top of the handle and the rim are in focus, but the speaker behind it (4 INCHES away) is fuzzy.
That is a result of Depth of Field, which is more pronounced in macro.

To help get a better shot, do you have a design wall where you and your quilt blocks are a little bit closer to on the same plane?

That will help you tremendously!
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62903.jpe  
Old 01-05-2010, 02:28 AM
Banned

Thanks aliaslaceygreen! I have tried the resolution at all levels. Not sure where that setting is supposed to be. However I think last night I realized exactly what your talking about and I told my hubby that I need a board that I can stand up with my blocks on it so I can shoot them straight foward. I think thats my problem. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
Thanks aliaslaceygreen! I have tried the resolution at all levels. Not sure where that setting is supposed to be. However I think last night I realized exactly what your talking about and I told my hubby that I need a board that I can stand up with my blocks on it so I can shoot them straight foward. I think thats my problem. Thanks!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Glad to help. Resolution (IN MY MIND!!!) should ALWAYS be the highest you can put it.
Try this. Put your card in, blank. Set it on the HIGHEST resolution.
I have a 4 gig card, by the way. Which cost maybe20/30 bucks.
On the HIGHEST res, with my camera which shoots up to 10 megapixels, I can shoot 784 photos. At that resolution, I should easily be able to print a beautiful 8x10 or possibly even an 11x14. (this is assuming everything else, like focus, shake etc is controlled)
Since the camera is new to me, I haven't printed yet, so I won't say larger.

At the lowest (PC mode) I can take 9999 images.
At the second lowest I can take 4644 images.

Now, I don't know what size card you own. But Those almost 10,000 images will be adequate for eBay postings. Possibly you could get a 4x6 of eehhhh quality.
The second lowest may, MAY I say, provide a reasonable 4x6.

You say you don't need anything larger?
Dunno about that. If your camera is set on the lower end, and you take a pretty good shot of something, but its a bit far away because you couldn't get close, when you crop it tighter, you will be loosing a lot of the clarity.

The once in a life time image that really wants to be blown up but cant because its too pixelated, that is a sad day, especially if your camera would have easily handled such an image.

Traveling somewhere special, the photos of your first grandchild at the hospital, they all deserve to be something more than one of 4644 images, don't you think??
Would the average person shoot 784 images a year?

Yes, they take up more room on your computer as well, but you SHOULD BE editing, tossing the bad, and BACKING UP the good onto a CD!!!!
It will never hurt to have a LARGE image that you can use software to make smaller, if for some reason you require it. You can not make a small image larger without great loss of quality.

Also, make sure you have your ISO set low.
For general purposes 200 is more than enough. Basically what that means is the higher the ISO the more sensitive the camera is to light. Therefore you can shoot in lower light situations.
The flip side is that you get less sharp, more pixelated images.

If you KNOW you are going somewhere that is low light, raise it.
Otherwise, leave it set around 200. If you don't want flash to go off, higher. if the flash isn't an issue, lower

Since this is all digital, play!!!

Sit in front of the desk and keep shooting the coffee mug, writing down what you did (although all the info is IN each image already, it's nice to have it written too....so you can refer back, and try again!!!)

Any other questions, just buzz me... I will sit with my camera in front of me to try to help. Let me know the size of yours, ok?
Good luck!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Banned

Hey aliaslaceygreen!! Head on and high resolution!!! Looks much better!! I still have alot to learn. Thanks for your help! :thumbup:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-63502.jpe  
Old 01-06-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
Hey aliaslaceygreen!! Head on and high resolution!!! Looks much better!! I still have alot to learn. Thanks for your help! :thumbup:
There ya go!!! Now, do you own a design wall? lol
Because unless you are auditioning that plaid for the quilt, it is showing thru those blocks. I realize these are more about placements than about showing a finished quilt, but.... :thumbup: LOL

Remember, any time, holler!