Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Can anyone tell me about the numbers for a screening test for Down Syndrome >

Can anyone tell me about the numbers for a screening test for Down Syndrome

Can anyone tell me about the numbers for a screening test for Down Syndrome

Old 12-22-2010, 01:40 AM

Definitely get a hold of the Dr. Keep your chins up. My thoughts are with you.

It's actually a miracle, that with everything that could go wrong 95% of all babies are born normal.

Congrats on the pregnancy.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:15 AM

I love this article by Erma Bombeck:

http://www.downsyn.com/bombeck.php
Old 12-22-2010, 04:00 AM

Two of my daughters (ages 25 and 20) work with people with Down Syndrome. It happened as a fluke for both of them as they live 4 hrs apart. I can tell you these people bring so much happiness into people's lives. Now, I would not have known that 20 something years ago. What I have always thought with those tests is that it is a way of preparing us for what might be. Things happen for a reason.

I am sure it's hard not knowing. Your baby will be perfect no matter what.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

I had the test with my last Son, who is 17 now, and I was told he could have spina bifida, and all sorts of terrible things....had to have Amniocenttisis, and he was fine too, no problems at all. The tests were EXPENSIVE, and all I got was SO much stress!!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Emmy Lou
I am not sure why you would want a blood test to see if its Downs or not makes no sense to me - I also had other health problems - but it was not the Downs situation that stopped me. There was 7 years between our 2 children. I have no idea what the numbers aare for the sreening test.
The main reason the drs want Moms to be to take the test, like in my case, was to make sure you give birth at a place where the baby can be properly taken care of. Abortion may be in cases, suggested, but it is never offered as the first option. They are looking for the well being of Mother and child, they just don't have the tools to offer an accurate diagnosis that is not risky and less invasive, neither is it necessary to test everyone who gets pregnant. This is why the test is called a screening. The test only singles out those that should consider more extensive research. Is not a form of diagnosis. As patients we don't know how to interpret the results, and I always feel the a screening result should not be given to the patient, especially over the phone. I was always taught that the only results to be discussed over the phone are the good ones. The quad test not only screens for downs, but for neurological conditions as well as many other forms of defects.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by RevPam
As the adopted Mom of a Down Syndrome child if the results prove positive the world has not come to an end. Nikki is the delight of my life! Although she is MR, she hugs and loves everyone and only wants to please. I have absolutely no regrets for making her a part of my life!
Kudos to you!!!! As the mom of a child born with a neurological disorder I was deeply saddened to see that no one before you had given any kind of encouragement other than to say that the test could be negative. I have had dear friends "console" me about the "condition" of my son without ever realizing that I didn't need cosolation.I would never wish for someone to have his condition, but believe me... I am very happy to be his mother and he has been a blessing to me and his family for the past 22 years.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:01 AM

I am so thrilled that you sent a positive message to the world that you daughter is delightful. She gives so much love to the world I think that she is the perfect one. Congratulations on being a REAL
MOTHER one that loves unconditionally. BLESSING ON YOU ALWAYS!
Old 12-22-2010, 03:37 PM

Sounds to me like the Dr's want to make more money!!
Old 12-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Bev

My daughter is 46 and having her second child. Her original doctor told her she was at higher than average risk for having a Down's Syndrome child. She and her DH decided that the baby would be just fine with them and knew it would be well loved by everyone no matter what. In her fifth month the new doctor did an ultrasound and found no sign of Downs at all. It's amazing what they can see on these things. That's when they also found she was having a boy. She's due this week, but I am happy in the knowledge that she and her hubby would not let anything keep them from wanting or loving their baby. 8-)
Old 12-24-2010, 06:42 PM

Very close to what happened to my son and DIL with their first child. mackenzie is now 10, beautilful and smart and 100% healthy!! One Dr told my DIL she was NOT prgenant and wanted her to have a DNC, good thing I never meet him, I think I would have been arrested.
The ultrasound is 3d I think or level 3?

Originally Posted by Maride
If you evaluate the statistics, 1:270 is not at all different from 1:268. At this point all it means is that they need a line to draw and if you are on one side you have a possibility, but on the other side you don't. This makes the test obsolete. The only accurate method to see if there is Down is an amniocenthesis. (I may not be spelling this well). Tell your daughter for tonight that 268 rounds up to 270, therefore she has a negative test. Tomorrow talk to her into speaking to the Dr. There are ultrasounds that can be done to rule it out if she doesn't want to have an amnio. It may be too soon for her.

I got pregnant shortly after I turned 39. On my first OB visit I was told that I had an empty sac, go home and wait to have severe bleeding and then come in to have a DNC. I cried my eyes out and the Dr never came back to see if I was OK. I didn't give up. I called a Dr friend of mine across the state and he said that from my results he expected a viable pregnancy. I kept going every other day for ultrasounds and two weeks later they found the heart beat. The Dr that found it was very persistent, and disagreed with them. The finding pushed him to leave the practice and go some place else. We were super excited until the husband of the first Dr, also an OB in the same clinic, told me that from what he could see, my baby had Downs. More tears and depression. I did some more research and found out that from his ultrasound equipment is impossible to rule it out. All they wanted me to do was to sign up for an amnio at their office, which they had just started doing. At that moment I switched Drs. My new Dr heard about what happened and was very careful. She did the Quad test, which is the same one your daughter had. My result was 1:110, which means that I had a one in one hundred and ten chances of having Down, of course a positive result. But only positive to the possibility. Not to Downs. She then sent me for a 3D ultrasound. They measured his neck, nose and fingers. They do a ratio. Downs kids have a wider neck and short fingers. When he was done he said that if my baby had Downs, he could not see it. It was a relief.

To make this story even longer, Emmanuel turned 8 in October, and he is a perfect little boy. He does not have Downs or any other visible genetic condition. On the day he was born I found the first two Drs in the hospital and showed them how wrong they were. They didn't say a word. And to complete the picture, The Dr who assisted in the C-section was the very same Dr who discovered the heart beat. He was pleased to be able to do this because I made him realize that he didn't belong in that clinic and now was very succesful on his own.

So, tell your daughter to relax and enjoy her pregnancy. This test is just a number and means nothing.