can you freeze zucchini

Old 08-06-2011, 12:36 PM

I did the same thing. I did have to drain a lot of water off it, but still made great bread!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:42 PM

yup sure can, I have sheaded mine and froze it...
Old 08-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ncsewer
I did the same thing. I did have to drain a lot of water off it, but still made great bread!
I thaw it out and then just like frozen spinach, I place the zucchini in a clean towel and sqeeze out all the excess water...works great!
Old 08-06-2011, 02:29 PM

shred, measure 2 cups into a ziploc, label and freeze. Perfect for zucchini bread or chocolate zucchini cake. Started making some bags of chunks- for stews, etc. Nothing like veggies in the middle of winter that bring back memories of summer!
Old 08-06-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by sisLH
Have any of you ever frozen raw zucchini? Do you peel it first, slice it, shred it? How have you done it? Does it turn brown if it's frozen raw?
I freeze zucchini just about every summer and make bread with it at Christmas time. I just wash it, shred, and place in freezer bags according to the amount needed for the recipe. It doesn't need anything added to it and does not turn brown.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:56 PM

I learned long ago that if I had questions like this, I'd go to the grocery store and check out the frozen food areas. Different stores have different products, the most expensive ones have the biggest variety of special foods.

And like asking this forum, which I didn't have as a young mother, I'd learned to go to the oldest women I knew and asked them to share their ideas with me. Learned a lot like that.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Barbm
Nothing like veggies in the middle of winter that bring back memories of summer!
aint it the truth...I just wish I HAD some zucchini...

I bought CO peaches today and by Monday I should be able to find time to put them up...yeah...
Old 08-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I learned long ago that if I had questions like this, I'd go to the grocery store and check out the frozen food areas. Different stores have different products, the most expensive ones have the biggest variety of special foods.

And like asking this forum, which I didn't have as a young mother, I'd learned to go to the oldest women I knew and asked them to share their ideas with me. Learned a lot like that.
I learn from the older women in my Extension club. But sometimes I can teach them too..

I forgot to say that I do freeze squashes...you just slice or chunk, put in a bowl of salt water for 10 minutes, then lay them out on a wax paper lines cookie sheet and pop in the freezer..when frozen put in a ziploc bag..Great for veggie casseroles....
Old 08-07-2011, 06:26 PM

Well thanks for all the answers. I did slice some and put in qt. freezer bags for Italian zucchini soup at a later date -which we had last night and tonite also. We love it. p.s. I did ask the oldest woman I know -my mom- and she said "Yuck, zucchini! Who would eat that?"
Old 08-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sisLH
Well thanks for all the answers. I did slice some and put in qt. freezer bags for Italian zucchini soup at a later date -which we had last night and tonite also. We love it. p.s. I did ask the oldest woman I know -my mom- and she said "Yuck, zucchini! Who would eat that?"
too bad for you mom...I simply adore zucchini...it is like ground turkey..it has not real flavor of its own, so when you cook with it, it takes the flavors you give it!

I learned to make pasta primavera in Italy and it would be nothing without the zucchini in it!

It also makes great faux fries..peel and julianne then place on a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet, spray with olive oil( I use a spritzer with my flavored oil), sprinkle with a touch of sea salt and pepper and back on 450 for about 20 minutes...great if you add some sweet potato fries as well...