Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you help us to get rid of a telemarketer?

I'v told them i can't hear them and to speak up then for about30 seconds just keep repeting WHAT WHAT. they will get the message.
    or just keep talking in a made up foreign language.

just tell them you do not speak english and hang up

Banned
    I used to have them folks calling here all the time and I broke them one day. They called I answered and while they were talking I set the phone own under my drag car next to the headers and cranked it up and let it run for a minute goosing it here and there. After about three times like that they quit calling.

Billy

i read a list of jokes once...one of the things to do was to say wow, (get a little choked up) a friend!! i've never had a friend will you be my friend? so friend guess what i did today?? I ate an apple...mmmhhmm and it was a good apple...then i decided to go for a walk. but first i had to brush my teeth and you know i just tried this new toothpaste and it's supposed to be so amazing for sensitivity and then where was i?? oh yes so i brushed my teeth, you know you really should make sure you floss everyday. i have a cousin that never flossed and now.....blah blah blah. They'd probably hang up by the second tangent. My hubbs is good at this. Too bad I can't loan him out to you. He just went off for a few minutes because I asked him what to do...i think the Stewart sketch from Mad TV was in there somewhere...he also said to just say "i love you...you're so pretty...but i really love you..." yeah we'd have fun!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seamstome
    Second, once I pretended to be a total young blonde fox...dizzy and horny as all get out. It was fun to play with him. After awhile, he faxed me something with his direct line number, thinking we were going to have some phone sex. I turned the while thing over to the authorities. The owner of the company got in a big jam because the fines are actually pretty high. The telemarketer was upset that I wasnt 25 and hot!!
    Dammit, I need to call you!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy

Since you're receiving calls at a Business, you probably don't want to do the kind of stuff you'd do if you were being called at home. I think you'd want to be careful about embarassing your company or starting rumors.

So next time you receive a call, just tell the caller "The boss told all of us not to forward your calls to her, or else. And, gee, I'm sure you don't want me to get in trouble with my boss. So goodbye." click.

My dad drives a truck (owner operator), and gets all kinds of telemarketing calls because of it - factoring, tools, that kind of stuff. This one guy kept calling, and finally, the guy called when he was just driving down the road and had time to kill. So he acted all interested and kept asking about different options, etc, payment plans, just kept dragging it out, until after about 45 minutes he just said "Nope, I don't think I need that after all", and hung up. And the guy didn't call back.

Quote Originally Posted by ktbb
    by now you should have the business name or you can get it on the next call. Once you get the information, tell them that you're reporting them to the state's attorney for harassment and to the better business bureau for the same. That has made folks stop...and you really can do the reporting, so it's not an empty threat.
    Also tell them to put you on THEIR do not call list. After that, keep track of when they do call. Report them to the phone company. Every time they call. Used to be, if they kept calling, you receive money($500.) per call. I remember this from when the National Do Not Call list was implemented. Don't know if it still works, but you could try.

Power Poster
    Actually, what I say is:

Thank you for calling. I'm going to hang up now so you can call someone that might be interested in .... . Have a good one.

And then I hang up.

I used to get so frustrated with one particular guy who tried to sell us on Basement Waterproofing. He called for three weeks strait! I finally got a plan.....i scheduled an "estimate" and he was thrilled. When he showed up at the house i said okay let's hear it....He was speechless!!
    WE HAVE NO BASEMENT :lol: :lol: :lol: Never called again

I just push down one of the number keys and hold it so that it blasts a long continuous BLEEEEEEP in their headset earpiece. :D

Say nothing...hang up.

I could tell you what a friend does but i am not sure I could mention it on this forum, what I do is say hang on a minute I have to turn the gass off, then put the phone down till you hear them disconnect, it doesn't take very long,
    I will abreviate what my friend does,
    :oops:if a man is on the phone and she answers she asks him if he has a big D@&^ if he answers the phone and it is a woman he asks if she has big T#@'s, it gets them of the phone quick smart, they are so horrified that someone could ask such a question, if they ask what did you say he/she repeats the question. 1 got the supervisor to talk to him so he just repeated the question to her and she hung up on him, Don't know why,:oops: :lol:
    I couldn't bring myself to do that. so I just ask them to hang on till they get sick of it and hang up

At our business, we say we are not interested, thank you and hang up.

Sometimes a person with a horrible accent will call and ask for the owner, sometimes using his very common first name,like they know him, we answer he won't be in until Friday, the owner will also do this.

Banned
    I put them on hold too!!!

MCH
    If you have caller ID and it shows as an 800- / 866- / or 877 Area Code, ignore it. If it's "unknown" or "private", let them leave a message.

Caller ID is for your benefit. Remember that.

If you do answer and there is no response within 2 seconds, hang up.

Tell yourself it's OK to screen your calls. It's your phone and your time.

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    Too bad you are a business, when this would happen at home I would just answer: Pizza Hut would you like to try our large....

Or I would say, so sorry Hubby can do that for free (if it was a household thing) they can't compete with that.

Otherwise I just kept telling them (and more rudely with each call) to quit calling.

Blog Entries
    LOL one time (at home) I got a caller I couldn't get off the line. Explained it was supper time, was told "this will just take a minute" so I just started eating as I was listening. The raw crunchy carrots got rid of him!!

Wow, these posts were all fun to read.........I politely tell them I'm really not interested but thank you for calling and if they don't hang up, then I just set the phone down on the counter and walk away.

Like someone said, it is YOUR phone and you don't have to talk to anyone that you don't want to speak with (same with the door bell, you don't have to answer it).

I usually just say no thank you and hang up. But I did discover that if you answer the door in a) a bathrobe or b) with a boa constrictor, the jehovah's witnesses don't come back.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I look at caller id and if I don't know the number or it is an 800 or 866, I let it go to answer machine. DOn't waste my time. If you can get their address you can send a "cease and desist letter" and tell them to cease and desist in all calls to your phones. By law they stop. Works for me. I tell them I need their address to send them something and then send the letter instead. LOL. So sorry. I know they can be a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    Do like I did....

A company was calling my business/home and asking for a certain person. I finally got fed up, gave them the number for the county jail and said she was arrested for prostitution. They stopped calling.

Contact your phone company, maybe even the sheriff.

Good luck.
    OMGoodness! That is hilarious. That should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    I used to have them folks calling here all the time and I broke them one day. They called I answered and while they were talking I set the phone own under my drag car next to the headers and cranked it up and let it run for a minute goosing it here and there. After about three times like that they quit calling.

Billy
    ROFLMAO! Oh Billy, I don't ever want to get on your bad side.

Although I am not a business, I got two call's the other day from some political person. When the caller asked if I had a minute to answer a few questions I said sure. (I was feeling pretty feisty that day and wanted to mess with them).
    He asked something about how did I feel about President Obamas so and so, I said, "Who is that'? He obviously turned to his cronies in the office and said, "Hey, I have a lady on the phone who doesn't know who Obama is. Boy am I gonna have fun with her" at which time I laughed and hung up. Never got a call back.
    The other one asked me if I had time to answer a few questions and first asked me if I would be voting Democrat or Rebublican in the upcoming election. I said, "Is this an election year"? He apologized for bothering me and said to have a nice day.

Since you are a business, it is rather tricky, but seems to me you are being harassed and as such, can complain to the Attorney Generals office in the state they are calling from. You just have to ask a few well placed and stated questions to get the information from them.

There is a national no call list that you can put your phone # on. Then if they call you , you can report them and they will be fined. You can find the info on the internet. I live in Missouri and we have a state one also. I did this and now I don't get all the calls. Only ones I get now are political and I don't answer them. Have caller ID.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast