Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Can you help us to get rid of a telemarketer? >

Can you help us to get rid of a telemarketer?

Can you help us to get rid of a telemarketer?

Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

This is very rude, but I heard it works...blow a whislte in the phone! (I personally have not done it)
Old 10-20-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by QKO
My BIL is getting credit card marketing calls all the time. He makes a genuine sport out of keeping them on the line as long as he can. I don't know how the guy can keep talking to them without cracking up, I roll on the floor listening to his end of the conversation.

His end usually consists of him telling the telemarketer all about his family, about how he just got out of jail, has no job but makes a little by robbing banks so he could probably pay the CC bill, how all the women in the family are prostitutes so they can help. He has a complete alter-identity made up so he can take the tm's through the entire application process using fake data.

Sometimes he uses his very thick fake Norwegian accent and drops in a few Norwegian words here and there.

It's just a hoot.

But here's the funniest one I've ever heard:

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2...r-prank-p1.php
I have this & it is too funny.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by QKO
My BIL is getting credit card marketing calls all the time. He makes a genuine sport out of keeping them on the line as long as he can. I don't know how the guy can keep talking to them without cracking up, I roll on the floor listening to his end of the conversation.

His end usually consists of him telling the telemarketer all about his family, about how he just got out of jail, has no job but makes a little by robbing banks so he could probably pay the CC bill, how all the women in the family are prostitutes so they can help. He has a complete alter-identity made up so he can take the tm's through the entire application process using fake data.

Sometimes he uses his very thick fake Norwegian accent and drops in a few Norwegian words here and there.

It's just a hoot.

I have this & it is too funny.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:27 PM

Usually, I let them at least tell me what they're selling. Then I just tell them, "sorry darlin, you're just a few days too late, he just had that done, just bought one or just switched last month. Oh, I'm not sure who he used, but they were just here. He writes the checks and I don't have time to look it up, but thanks for callin us" Done. They can't sell you one, if yours is new.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by QKO

It's just a hoot.

Oh...my GOODNESS!!!!!!!! That is hilarious! I just listened to it and now sit here with tears of laughter running down my cheeks! Gotta let DH listen to it! Thanks for the laugh!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Banned

One of my favorite episodes of Sinfield was when a telemarketer called asking if you want to get the newpaper delivered. Jerry answered YES and hung up the phone. I am on the do not call list but it doesn't stop them anyway. I few weeks ago someone called and said "Can I speak to Janice" I said yes and hung up the phone. My feeling was they were capable to speak to me so I said yes. Sooooooooo when they call back if they say could they speak to the owner say yes and hang up............easy pessie.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:30 PM

My husband and I tell the telemarketers that we are part of the government's new unemployed, and by the looks of things we are getting ready to file bankruptcy., so it isn't going to do them any good to continue talking ot us and trying to get our money., we don't have any. A few times I have gotten mad and asked for their phone number so that I can report them for violating our name that is on the National Do Not Call Registry and remind them the fine is $10,000 because of continual harassment. Usually, after the second time they call, it is the last. Perserverence pays off, and the unemployment/bankruptcy part works great also.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:37 PM

When we had as one of our secondary companies an internet service provider, I had lots of fun with the phone companies wanting us to change to theirs. I'd start asking all sorts of questions about how many T1 lines could we get and what sort of broadband service did they offer. When they got all quiet, I'd say well we are an ISP, we need blah, blah, blah...and that would be the end of that till the next month when there was a new person asking it all again.

We generally pass the ones who won't give up on to our boss who proceeds to tell them that we are a corporation and everything is handled by our corporate office. Then he proceeds to give them the phone number, which just happens to also be for the newspaper/radio station.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:55 PM

something I have done to end the calls is when someone calls that asks to speak to me I say just a minute I will go get har then when I hear the phone beeping I hang up same thing with junk mail when thay send one of those stamped envelopes I just fill it up with junk mail and send it back to them now I have an empty mail box
Old 10-20-2010, 08:34 PM

Ask the to hold on for just a moment while you locate the owner, Then hang up the phone in about 10 minutes or so