Cancer hats

Old 10-08-2015, 09:46 AM

(((Hugs))) to you and your friend. I just want to say, when DH was in the hospital with cancer, the nurses could find only one knit hat (donated) that was suitable for a guy (i.e., not pink or pastel). They were donated by a group from a local yarn shop. He loved his. If you are making them, don't forget to make some for guys too!!
Old 10-08-2015, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

So nice of you to help your friend. Sending prayers to help her get through this.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:30 PM

Nancy Zieman co-authored a book "Creative Kindness". There are free patterns at the website for Nancy's Notions or Sewing With Nancy. So many free patterns out there, just Google "free hat patterns hair loss".

You are a very good friend.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:24 PM

http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/spatt01.htm

This is the easiest pattern in my opinion.. very simple, very little fleece.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:55 AM

I knit sleep hats for Halos of Hope. I have ten sitting here that I could send you if she'd like knitted ones. A friend of a quilter is a good cause for me. These are all different colors and weights.
SVAL
Old 10-09-2015, 07:11 AM

I had breast cancer, lost my hair and it was winter. I made the Chemo Caps, AKA Headhugger's. They were quick and easy to make, I jazzed mine up with some holiday trim, added purchased bows other cute stuff. I received a lot of compliments on them.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:56 AM

Here's a great site for all types of caps and hats. My daughter had breast cancer, and the "do-rag" type of head coverings were the most comfortable and easy to use and make. http://craftstew.com/sewing/free-hat-patterns
Old 10-09-2015, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Reba'squilts View Post
I went to my friends chemo treatment yesterday and gifted her the quilt that I made to keep her warm during her ordeal. I found that she may need 8 more treatments. I think she is strong and dedicated to getting better. Her hair is thinning. She will probably lose it before her treatments are over. I would like to make her some hats. I have tried to find free patterns but am not having much luck. Does anyone know of some cute easy patterns that I can download. She loved her quilt!!! We both shed a few tears. I am sure she would like a couple of cute hats, she is young (50) and pretty,. Would love to make something to cheer her when the hair goes. Thanks, Carol aka Reba
My daughter in law absolutely loved the ones I made with 100% cotton. It is breathable. No polyester or such fabric that makes the head sweat. I wish I could post the pattern here for you. I think I bought it from Nancy's Notions. It is padded in the front. Mainly I wanted to let you know to use the 100% cotton. Also, soft. When they lose their hair their head is very sensitive, and some say even a little painful like pin pricks.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:08 PM

Wonderful of you to do this and be a supportive friend. This post came in very handy for me as my niece was diagnosed just 3 weeks ago with ovarian cancer. She had surgery two weeks ago today and has been back to the hospital 2 times since with complications. Chemo is scheduled to begin Monday and I have been with her 12 hours a day through this and will continue to be with her through her chemo. She was told she will loose her hair and I have been thinking about hats for her.
Thank you for being a wonderful friend and for posting this request for patterns.
Also, thank you all for responding.