Celebrating Shelter Pets

Old 08-02-2010, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

All 3 of my kitties were rescues...the twins, Bear and Ruthie were "junk yard kitties", whose Mom had been run over. The junk yard owner found the kittens, and called me, as they were only about 3 weks old. We had to bottle feed them they were so tiny!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:21 AM

Two of my 3 are shelter dogs, pure breed Boston Terriers. My hubbie used to work at a vet clinic that provided health care for the county's animal shelter. So, whenever the county employees brought in a Boston for treatment, hubbie told me about them, and I would go immediately and adopt them. Hubbie stopped doing that when he saw that I was adopting dogs sight unseen.

Both of these little guys have many physical and mental problems. But I wouldn't trade them for the world. And aren't they cute?!

Sonny Liberty. Hard to get a good photo of him because he's a perpetual motion machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90141[/ATTACH]

Skeeter. When I stretch out on the couch, he climbs on my chest and starts snoring.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90143[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-90136.jpe   attachment-90138.jpe  
Old 08-02-2010, 05:40 AM

Bostons and Pugs always look like they would like to have a cigar and a beer! lol
Old 08-02-2010, 07:06 AM

My Golden girl, Anna, is our rescue. We took her to find a home for her to save her from the pound. She has stayed for 4 years now, guess she found a home all right. We wouldn't send her away for anything. Our other 2 boys came from breeders. Jonah is my avatar and is 8 years old, Sam is 6 years. Such a nice family.

Anna-our gentle girl
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90159[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-90154.jpe  
Old 08-02-2010, 09:25 AM

Watched Last Chance Highway on Animal Planet this weekend. A southern shelter lady said they get 50-100 dogs a day and only adopt out about 30 a week. Did I hear that right!?! Someone please correct me if I heard wrong.

On another show, they had killed 29 dogs two and half hours into their workday.

We've got to work on spay and neuter programs in the south. I can do something (don't know what) because one of my residences is in a southern state.

There are still shelters in the south using the old school euthanasia method. I won't say what it is because it stays with you. Also, shelters in Mexico use a different but equally horrifying method.

Spay, neuter and adopt. :0)
Old 08-02-2010, 10:16 AM

Amen to that. Several people in our community worked together to open a spay and neuter clinic. they got a vet to work there for the clinic days. The spays are only 25 dollars, and I think the neuters are only 15.00. They also offer shots and heartworm treatments very cheaply so there is no excuse for not taking care of your pets.

Still we have hundreds (literally) of dogs in our shelter here, and over 300 cats. They keep coming too. A lot of them are dropped off because their owners are moving and don;t want them anymore. Maybe they do not match the new carpet or something. I was there once when a lady came in and dumped her dog because she got a new couch, and did not want his fur on it. This was an old, old dog with white on his face. he had been her loyal friend for all those years, and he was disposed of because of a new couch! Do you know how hard it is to find homes for old animals??

Anyway, I will get off of my soap box now, but yes, people need to spay and neuter their pets if they have them. It is the right thing to do. Maybe you can start a campaign in your schools or in your community.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by SulaBug
OH!! :D I just have to show you my new rescue baby girl!! :D We adopted her on July 22nd from the Animal Shelter. After getting her home, she came down with a sever case of puppy Kennel Cough. So, off to the Vet's we went & she is being treated for it now. Today she is much better & we have just fallen head over heals in "LOVE" with her!! Her name is Rose & she weigh's in at a whopping 6 lbs. Enjoy!!
:D :D :D :D
Your puppy has the most expressive eyes!!

My Rudy (avatar) is a rescue from Puerto Rico, courtesy of a local MA shelter that rescues dogs & cats from kill shelters in the islands. I went looking for a kitten and he chose me.

Baby Peeps would have been dead if I hadn't taken her when I did, from a neighbor's boyfriend. She was loaded with fleas and the vet said she'd have died in the next day or two. I get the chills thinking about it.

Squeaker is from my sister's cat, born on my birthday, so she had to be mine. I hate to say it but cats only live a couple of years at my sister's due to fisher cats and coyotes. So glad I could have Squeaky!

And, finally, my rescue cat off the street. I knew about her for a couple of years but thought my neighbor was feeding her. Not really. When I saw she was starving and winter was coming on, I said "not on my watch" and snatched up, brought her to the vet for testing, and she's turned into a real cuddler.

Rudy watching tv - his favorite spot
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90369[/ATTACH]

Baby Peeps in her favorite spot
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90371[/ATTACH]

Squeaky in her tower
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90372[/ATTACH]

Missy - safe & sound
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90373[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-90364.jpe   attachment-90366.jpe   attachment-90367.jpe   attachment-90368.jpe  
Old 08-02-2010, 11:10 AM

All my pets were dump or "rescue" pets. My first cat (after I moved out on my own) was a Manx stumpy that someone dumped out by my dad's place. I lost him 5-6 years ago to diabetes

I rescued my 'feral' tabby, Cici, when she was a baby. She was found in a parking lot; she was nothing but skin and bones literally. She had fallen on an ant nest. She's now my wild-child love bug.

My other cat now is Inky. I inherited her from my step-grandad & and step-aunt. They were getting too old to take care of her. She is now mine, and lets me know where I should be and when. :)

I would adopt from a shelter in a heartbeat. (hopefully that won't be for a long time)

PS - I will post pictures of the 2 cats when I get home.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:27 AM

My avatar is Jake, rescued from Amish puppy mill..he's hyper and not friendly to strangers but is a sweetheart, we love him.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:39 AM

Our female lab Brandee was a stray picked up in Alabama, heart worm positive, looked to be a breeder only. We adopted her from Panhandle Animal Lovers, which takes in strays and gets them all the medical attention they need. Brandee is now heart worm free, spayed, living the good live in my husbands recliner. Alee Cat was picked up at the end of our road near the highway, starving, full of fleas. I said she doesn't take up much space, we already have two Main Coons, Alee Cat fits right in and she is a love. Wouldn't trade all four of them for anything.