Celebrating Shelter Pets

Old 08-02-2010, 11:45 AM

Our current dog is a rescue from a kill shelter in KY. They moved him to Rhode Island to be with a group that only fosters small dogs.He was living with 9 very yappy Jack Russell terriers and 6 Boston terriers and totally intimidated. He was 25 lbs. when we got him and is now about 45 lbs. and currently on a diet. . Name "Teddy Bear" WE think he is a terrier/black lab mix. DH says he is a Schzauzer dor. He is a love. Stays with me as much as he can. Our 2 cats were rescued from a barn in PA. MOst of our pets were named after Dickens characters. Orange male is Magwich and his multi colored sister is Aunt Betsy. fmd36 in NH
Old 08-02-2010, 11:54 AM

When my daughter was in college (majoring in journalism), she went to a Dallas area pound to interview the director. She came home with her interview and 2 dogs that were cell makes and going to be put down that day. She already had 1 dog and her apt only allowed 1 dog. We got one of the 2 and she kept the other. Both dogs are/were the best (her's is still alive after 13 years - ours had to be put down due to illness). I agree, they seem to know they've been rescued and appreciate it. She has always been a HUGE shelter fan - would go walk dogs on her lunch hour, wrote for their monthly news letter, etc. She has stopped MANY times and picked up dogs walking loose and found their owners or brought them to a no kill shelter. She has 4 dogs right now - 3 are shelter dogs and 1 her husband brought home after he found wandering the streets (she a very old dog with only 2 teeth, but she's a sweetie).
We have a German Shephard we got from our area German Shephard Rescue Group.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:56 AM

Forgot to mention - my daughter also did dog caravans. She put hundreds of miles on her car transporting dogs to people willing to adopt them. She took pictures of all her transports. She espeically like a huge mixed dog - she called him the gentle giant.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:07 PM

We have 2 cats from rescue agencies, Angelina we adopted from our local Humane Society, and she is a Russian Blue. Marmalade came to us from a city shelter, and she is a Turkish Angora and is also a calico. Our oldest cat Dice was living with her family underneath our friend's step, and Dice was the only one they could catch.

The boy's dad was diagnosed with Diabetes about 18 months ago, and he convinced me that if he had a dog he could walk it, and loose some weight...

The Hamilton SPCA used to get dogs from LA, and they had just gotten 130 right then. We went to look at a mid sized dog, and he picked out a different dog... we left and David went to look at her 2 days later, but she had been adopted out... He called me a million times, about another dog he saw... I was at a quilting class, so I went out there. The dog they showed me was one that I had looked out about 6 times, but I wasn't familar with the breed, and it hid at the back of the cage, so I new that he really didn't want to be there! I told the boy's dad that he better have money, because the dog would never go back into the cage ever again!!!

So we adopted Ricky who is a Maremma Sheepdog X, and he was in a shelter in Bastrop, LA, but was rescued by an organization in Alexandria, LA. We were also told he was a female... but we quickly discovered he's not.... They made a mistake when they were transfering the dogs across the border, because his orginal papers state he's a male.

He's probably the quietest dog around, he rarely barks, walks good on the leash, loves the boy's dad and likes his treats!

The boy's dad, Kyle and Ricky are going to be arriving in a few hours at my mom's, and I'm not sure who I'm more excited to see... the dog or Kyle!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:44 PM

Our current dog..a Golden Retriever, was a rescue. He was bred to be a hunting dog...and turned out to be gun-shy. Not the best trait in a hunting dog. When we got him, he was slightly malnourished. Now, after a year and 1/2, he weighs in at 110 pounds!!! He is one of the most gentle dogs we have ever owned. Goldens are known for their gentleness anyway, but this dog really wins the prize there. Even our "surprise" kittens that are somewhat wild aren't afraid of him.

Patti
Old 08-02-2010, 02:08 PM

We had a 'gentle giant', a black lab & St Bernard cross, who was the only one rescued from a litter of unwanted pups. Teddy was our daughter's confidante for years, seeing her through turbulent teenage years and helping all of us with a business related move. It was about a year ago that health issues took him. We miss him so.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:30 PM

We've got 4 rescue kitties. :) The first 3 (Tikki, Wee-est, and Baby Girl) came from our local county animal shelter, and we adopted the 4th one (Buddy) from a rescuer in Chattanooga. Buddy and his sister were in a bad situation ... matted, malnourished, neglected, and flea-infested. There were originally 3 kittens, but 1 had already died. :-( Buddy and his sister were rescued, cleaned up, and flea-treated, and got the medical care they needed. A few days after we brought him home, he came down with a gastrointestinal infection, and we nearly lost him. But he's doing great now! They're all spoiled rotten. :thumbup:

Here they are:

Baby Girl - sweetest little thing EVER - on one of my great-grandmother's quilts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90687[/ATTACH]

Tikki (tabby-colored with white chest and four white feet) and Wee-est (Siamese mix, blue eyes)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90689[/ATTACH]

Buddy - long-haired seal point Siamese/Ragdoll mix - his fur is much longer now - a total fuzzbutt! :-)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90690[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-90682.jpe   attachment-90684.jpe   attachment-90685.jpe  
Old 08-02-2010, 04:48 PM

I got Charlie Brown from the shelter in Bedford, TX for my birthday in 2006. At that time, they thought he was about 5 months old so that would have made him a Katrina baby. He is so funny at times. You can tell he's mostly terrier because whenever I go outside to bring him back in, he acts like he hasn't seen me in days and jumps so high all four feet are in the air.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-90687.jpe  
Old 08-02-2010, 04:58 PM

After I lost my much loved Lucy and then Ricky...Saint Bernards. I just could not stand it any more ... I needed something big and fuzzy in my life again. So I adopted Barney ... I named him, this because there might be a Betty or a Fred . I am currently looking a freind for him.

Barney my best friend forever
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90698[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-90693.jpe  
Old 08-02-2010, 05:32 PM

Joey, and Chloe didn't come from the shelter, they are from a research lab. A lady we know brings them out 5 at a time. Chloe was in some sort of study for breast cancer, and diabetes, and Joey wasn't tested on, but was used for stud. Beagles are most commonly used because of their wonderful temperament.

Research dogs are special. They have to learn how to be dogs and live in a home. They know nothing but kennel and cage like environments. Both have had their throats scratched to keep the barking down. They have numbers tattooed on their ears. They are such sweet loving dogs who can't get enough affection. We have adopted four of these dogs over the years.
[IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...oeandchloe.jpg[/IMG]