Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Childhood Treats

Quote Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
    I remember Junket, toast soldiers, Dream Whip and Merri-Mints.

I loved Fizzies, (a tablet you dropped in water to make a drink).

Space Food Sticks were another favorite.
    I was wondering if anyone would mention Fizzies. My favorite! I would just love to sneak one out of the package when mom was not looking and set it on my tongue and let it fizz till it hurt then spit it out into a glass of water. Children do silly things but at 6 years of age, I thought I was being so daring, sly and clever!

Quote Originally Posted by janRN View Post
    One of my favorite childhood treats was called Junket. It was sort of like pudding but much lighter. Came in vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. It was in little boxes and you mixed it with milk. Anyone else heard of this? Do they still make it? Wonder if I'd still like it--yep! Anything chocolate I'd like LOL.

Yes, they still make it. You can find in some stores with the pudding mixes.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If I have a bowl of cereal, I like a really hot piece of buttered toast an dip it into the milk and cereal. I don't put a lot of milk on my cereal but DH does so he can drink the leftover milk right out of the bowl. He did this in front of our nephews little kids once. There eyes got so big. Their dad put their left over milk into a small cup till they got bigger and were able to drink from the bowl. Cinnamon toast sounds good right now!

Believe it or not, Junket is still sold in my area.

Blog Entries
    On very special days for dessert we would get ice cream cones (flat bottom ones) filled with fruit cocktail. We always thought we'd died and gone to heaven. The other special treat was fried home made bread. It was the best.

Power Poster
    love cinnamon toast!
    QUILTNMO

Peanut butter toast was my favorite as a child. It still is today.

I still love cinnamon toast! It used to be my all time favorite breakfast although we mostly ate cold cereal. I still have it from time to time, but since I'm supposedly on a no bread diet I don't get it nearly as often as I'd like to.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

My grandmother use to make me an after school snack of a piece of white bread spread with butter with cinnamon sugar. MMM
    Kookie (Patti)

Power Poster
    milk toast

It was melba toast (I think) made with hot milk and served with butter and sugar.

Mom only fed it to me when I was sick.

(Sounds kind of yucky today,, but then it was a treat.)

Blog Entries
    My favorite childhood treat was always a hot bowl of Zoom. Zoom is made by a local company (Krusteaz) and made from rolled wheat instead of rolled oats like you are probably more familiar. A pinch of cinnamon and a dust of nutmeg, milk and sugar. Yumm! I still have it for breakfast at least once or twice a month. Zoom is also what I use when making crisps instead of oatmeal, much more nutty flavor than oats in the same recipe.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I remember Zarex and Fizzies. I loved Bonamo Taffy. A treat for us kids was to eat at Grandma's house because she had butter and real maple syrup!
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Blog Entries
    Our favorite breakfast food was peanut butter-jelly on toast with a big cup of hot chocolate.

One of my favorite childhood treats was called Junket. It was sort of like pudding but much lighter. Came in vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. It was in little boxes and you mixed it with milk. Anyone else heard of this? Do they still make it? Wonder if I'd still like it--yep! Anything chocolate I'd like LOL.
    I remember using Junket to make homemade ice cream. It's hard to find, but is still available, I believe.
    Karen in Kentucky

Cinnamon toast has to be my favorite too.

My first thought was fizzies too. The closest thing to soda back then. On Sundays nights in the fall my mother would pop popcorn and we'd eat it with an apple while we watched Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color. They were delicious together. Also, when I was sick, Nestlés Quik always tasted good on my stomach.

Nestle's quik.....yummy!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ovaltine! Guess you have to be old as dirt like me to remember that. I loved it! Also, "coffee milk." I would go to my aunt's next door on Saturday or Sunday morning and she would give me "coffee milk" which is delicious! I still love lots of cream in my coffee and all kinds of flavors in it too. I'm a coffee junkie from way back. I too remember Junket ice cream. yum, yum! now I'm starving. I too also loved Nestle's Quik. My youngest called it "bocky" since he couldn't say Chocolate.
    Last edited by Helen6869; 08-15-2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: additional inof

For my kids it was '" toast in the oven '". Actually it was bread spread with butter then put under the broiler. To them it was the oven even tho the broiler did the work. Yummy !

This probably sounds wacky but I have always loved fried scrapple with maple syrup. To me, that was always a treat! Strange but true!!!

I loved spending the night with my grandparents because sometimes Grandpa would make us chocolate gravy for our toast.

Blog Entries
    My treat was a slice of homemade bread in a bowl with a mixture of half coffee and half condensed milk poured over it and then sugar sprinkled on top. I could go for some now.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I remember Junket. Mum would make it if we had a sore throat but sometimes she just made it as dessert. Not sure if they still make it.

Blog Entries
    I still buy Ovaltine if I'm having young guests.
    I thought my MiL was the only person who made chocolate gravy (I am not a fan, though much of her family is).
    Cinnamon toast reminds me of childhood, as does cracked wheat cereal with brown sugar.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Hamburger or cheeseburger. Yeah, so I was different.

Blog Entries
    Our treat on the farm back home was a cold biscuit (left over from breakfast if we were lucky enough), with a big slab of home-made butter and a spoon full of sugar stuffed in it. Oh yum--maybe I'll go make a pan of biscuits here in a little while.
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast