Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Christmas gifting question... >

Christmas gifting question...

Christmas gifting question...

Old 12-06-2010, 12:28 PM

That sounds like the perfect solution to me!
Happy Holidays!
Old 12-06-2010, 05:44 PM

. Have your kids make thank you cards for the gifts. She will get pleasure from that.[/quote]
---------------------------------------------
HAND written cards. I have three of them from little kids, one card is about 6 years old, but I treasure them all. All three of them. These 3 are the only ones who have responded to gifts, and, not surprisingly, these are the only non-family ones I give gifts to.

When no response from kids, I show their parents my treasures, these gift cards. Surprised me, no response from their kids even then, so I just stopped sending gifts.

One lady told me her grandkids never responded to her checks she sent them. I told her to continue sending the checks, BUT to forget to sign them. Next day the kids would come for a long visit, or else as long as she took to sign the checks!
Old 12-06-2010, 05:52 PM

No. If you have time to whip up somethng and want to it would be okay.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:54 PM

one year my sister was in a tough spot and wanted to give gifts to me and my sister, but didn't have money to do so. she gave me a "coupon" that I cold redeem for her to come and make me a dinner I would never forget made especially from the ingredients I keep in my cabinets and pantryin my own kitchen. she knew I hate to cook, and of course, our dinner was memorable because her gift was so thoughtful. a few years later I was in her spot, so I gave her a coupon for a free night of babysitting and a day's worth of doing laundry.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:37 AM

no your not..she is probably doing this because she knows money is tight..just hand write a thank you note..
if your kids are young,have them color a picture for her.make sure no matter how old they are, that they also write a thank you note.
feeling obligated, only makes you feel bad..and it should be a happy time!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:52 AM

Go to you local Thrift store... you can get baskets very reasonable. Maybe make a large batch of homemade carmel corn, or any other flavor or get some microwave popcorn..... add some inexpensive cans of soda and a few boxes of move candy..... purchase for a buck a box @ the Dollar tree. Also maybe make a personal pillowcase for each...... out of YOUR STASH..... Kids LOVE snacks!!!

If you can't do any of this....... Do Not feel obligated as you did explain to her your situation. So try not to stress!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:54 AM

What about a promisary note..inviting them to select something from a short list of your choosing? Maybe lap quilts that are tied... if you don't do your own quilting. I also LOVE the idea of cookies.... both kids would "eat them up!"
Old 12-07-2010, 03:55 AM

What about a promisary note..inviting them to select something from a short list of your choosing? Maybe lap quilts that are tied... if you don't do your own quilting. I also LOVE the idea of cookies.... both kids would "eat them up!"
Old 12-07-2010, 04:03 AM

I am so sorry this friend is not getting the picture. I know exactly how you feel, even though her intentions are good it still puts you on the spot and knowing they are in the postion they are in money wise I would just want to shake some sense into her if I were in your shoes but sometimes people just don't get it and its sad because her kids will be the ones to suffer when they finally lose the house. I see this happening all around me and its truly sad.
If you can't do any gifts then it is what it is and you did let her know ahead of time. You have received some great advise from everyone I wish you luck w/ this friend but most of all a very merry christmas.
p.s. maybe some scaves if you have any leftover fleece.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by momymom
Make the kids a batch of holiday cookies. It's not expensive, and won't take long to make. Problem solved.
This is my suggestion, too. Kids of all ages love cookies!