Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleaners

Cleaners

Looking for a good cleaning agent that will get the grease off of the back splash and wall by my stove.

Blog Entries
    ammonia - if you can stand the smell and fumes.
    Nikki in MO

I use softscrub for most of my cleaning. I use it on my laminate counter tops as well as my ceramic tile backsplash. Also bathtub as the manufacturer recommended nothing more abrasive than that. Use a rag vs a sponge though when using. Sponge really holds the suds well when trying to rinse the surface. A rag rinses much cleaner, thus the wiping of excess/residue of the softscrub is easier with a rag.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Windex works great. Like NJ Quilter stated use a rag. I spilled some Windex on my floor the other day and it cleaned up that area like nobody's business. I have a refill bottle so I just dumped some all over the floor and it was the nicest I have ever seen my kitchen floor. Brought the shine back!

Have you tried those Clorox wipes? My daughter uses them all the time and swears by them. I use a mixture of vinegar, water, baking soda and that cleans up a lot of stuff.

Liquid comet in a spray bottle

For the icky greasy feel I use baking soda and water paste. It works great if it's real bad a few drops of dawn dish soap in the paste helps too. I also use it on my Tupperware that gets that feeling that you can't wash off and on the build up that you get on anything around the stove and the exhaust fan. Make a waterish paste rub it on leave it on for a few minutes and rinse clean. It also works on laminate and butcher block.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Yes, the clorox wipes work. Or 409 cleaner works good.
    Lori

I use Clorox wipes for almost everything.
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

mix vinegar, baking soda and some dawn dishwashing liquid and put it in a spray bottle. Works on everything in the kitchen and bathroom.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Bicarb soda mixed with water or a bit of lemon juice.

Ordinary dish detergent and a good big tablespoon full of washing soda, hot water and you are good to go. Wear gloves, washing soda is a bit harsh on your hands. You can also add it to your (clothes) washing machine and use half the amount of washing powder/detergent. It cuts grease, is cheap, softens water, more environmentally friendly and you can use on most surfaces. I keep a little sugar basin and spoon (labeled of course) on my kitchen windowsill, add a dash to the washup water and it gets dishes cleaner, quicker. If I use the dishwasher I chuck a bit in there as well.

Two words....Krud Kutter. Amazing stuff and can be found at most hardware stores. It comes very concentrated, dilutions for different jobs are found on the label. When I find it on sale I pick up a gallon, no such thing as too much Krud Kutter in the pantry. LOL

What is washing soda? Is it Borax? Haven't heard of that in a long time!

I use a degreaser (comes in a large spray bottle) to clean my fan area above my stove. Bought at Home Depot. They have several brands. Now I will use nothing else.

Try a bottle of Fantastik. I find it a great grease cutter.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I use Dawn dish detergent right out of bottle on a rag, it will remove everything, let it soak on the surface for a few minutes

Blog Entries
    Totally Awesome. You can get it at dollar General. It great foe all kinds if cleaning and cheap too.
    Melinda in Tulsa
    Where the wind comes whipping thru the plains and we really DO have Earthquakes!

Love my Babylock Unity, Symphony and Serenade!

Blog Entries
    I invested in a steamer and not use chemicals to clean.
    ​We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone.

Blog Entries
    I use a mmicrofiber cloth and Dawn diswashing detergent. Works, safe, not harmful to me or surfaces.

OOPS! See "kdid" already said this.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I have tried every cleaner known to man and haven't found one that will take the grease spots off my backsplash without scrubbing forever. I even used oven cleaner but the spots were still there after setting for an hour. I got a razor blade scraper to use on my oven glass window. That works great. No scrubbing needed.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    I love, love Super Clean...It is engine cleaner for cars but I found it works better then anything I have ever used...Cuts grease like it is nothing....

Simple Green. It works great on grease and just about everything else and the best part is that it is a "food safe" cleaning product so you don't have to worry about any leftover residue that might not get rinsed off. I used this stuff to clean a stainless steel popcorn popper kettle when working concessions/snack bar and it took everything right off and didn't leave any streaks.
    Miss Rita

Blog Entries
    After years of trying just about every new product that claimed to make cleaning easier in 2004 I started using vinegar and bi-carb. Just recently I've discovered how micro cloths will clean anything. If you feel it still need more just wipe over with a cloth wrung out in hot soapy water. Ask me how I know.
    They don't need to be expensive cloths. I bought mine in a discount store. To clean your cloths soak in hot water to which you've added 1 TBsp of washing soda.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    What is washing soda? Is it Borax? Haven't heard of that in a long time!
    Sodium Carbonate.....here's a link to "make your own", but I'm guessing the commercial one may work better.
    http://naturesnurtureblog.com/2012/0...-washing-soda/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast