Cleaning Laminate floors

Old 01-05-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Midwestmary
What percentage of water/vinegar do you use for a laminate floor? I've been using Pinesol - now I understand why the floors look cloudy.....also do you spray on the vinegar/water or mix it in a bucket? Helpful thread - thanks!
I did exactly the same with the laminate as I did with the hardwood floors, 1 ounce vinegar to 4 ounces of water. I put in all in the bucket and went down on my hands and knees and wiped the floors with the DAMPENED cloth. I tended to use something that I could wring out easily, and if I couldn't, then I would wipe it down with a dryer cloth. It might be just as easy to use a spray bottle, however I liked using hot water!

TreeFrog
Old 01-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Cyn

I put this stuff in my foyer and I wish I hadn't. Not only hard to keep clean but the dog and cat's nails click on it and it made the room kinda echo even tho it's full of furniture. Lesson learned.
Originally Posted by Marilyn Philips
Iknow one thing for sure and that is that I will never install laminate floors again. I hate the stuff. I know that I have a problem because I have an older dog that has puddling accidents frequently and I have to clean up right away. However, sometimes depending on how the light falls on the floor you don't always see these puddles so between that and the frequent cleaning the floors have been ruined. The installer did not mention until after the floor had been laid that I should not use water on the floors, only a spray cleaner which does not clean the floors. I even bought a Haan floor steamer, but that isn't good either because it leaves the floor wet enough for moisture to seep into the seams of the floor and leaves it dull looking. When I clean a floor I don't want to go over it 2-3 times to get all the moisture off. I have better things to do other than constantly cleaning the floor. The only thing that ever left it looking half way decent was mixing Murphys Oil Soap with warm water and even that didn't last long. Sorry folks I just had to vent on this subject.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:01 PM

We pput down laminate in several areas and I am not sure but what I would rather have the inlaid though I used to get wax build up.I am going to try the triple threat [water,alcohol and vinegar].I have tried water and vinegar and my kitchen floor looked terrible all streaked.
Going to use the three for windows also.
Thanks for all the ideas
Old 01-05-2011, 03:19 PM

Boy, you sound just like me last year. I tried so many things and was satisfied with none of them. I bought a shark steam mop and cleaned w/ water STREAKS..w/distilled water STREAKS..took it back. Tried Quick and bright UGH!Finally I found Rejuvenate at Home Depot and got it and a microfiber type head that I put on a regular sponge mop and LOVE IT! At Christmas my DD was in kitchen floor playing with DGGD and said "but mom, your floors aren't streaked". Knew then I'd found the one that works.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by noahscats7
Boy, you sound just like me last year. I tried so many things and was satisfied with none of them. I bought a shark steam mop and cleaned w/ water STREAKS..w/distilled water STREAKS..took it back. Tried Quick and bright UGH!Finally I found Rejuvenate at Home Depot and got it and a microfiber type head that I put on a regular sponge mop and LOVE IT! At Christmas my DD was in kitchen floor playing with DGGD and said "but mom, your floors aren't streaked". Knew then I'd found the one that works.
Well I might have to try the Rejuvenate. Hope they have it at lowes because we don't have a Home Depot. And I am thinking that the microfiber type head is one of the biggest things this kind of floor should have.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:20 PM

Be sure and wash it out when finished or it gets really hard. Just ask me how I know this!!!!!LOL All you do is spray a 6x6 area and spread with the m/f cloth head and do try to follow the way the wood is laid. Let me know what you think. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:44 PM

Katie: For a joke, you mentioned covering the patio doors. You might should seriously think about having the patio doors tinted. We had the same problem with our front door and the morning sun. It just made the living room seem dusty even when it had just been dusted. We had our front door tinted a couple of weeks ago, and it has worked great; plus it should provide insulation from the heat of the sun. It cost us $100 to have the door tinted and took only about 30 minutes. It might keep you from working so hard when your floor is actually clean. - Cynthia
Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 PM

Some of the later info reminded me of another warning the installer gave me -- "Never use vinegar on this floor, it is acidic and will remove the finish".
Old 01-21-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Marilyn Philips
Some of the later info reminded me of another warning the installer gave me -- "Never use vinegar on this floor, it is acidic and will remove the finish".
Wow Marilyn, I have been doing it for 20 years on my hardwood and for at least 10 on my laminate and have had no problems! Now that does not mean that the newer laminate has a different finish on it. So Marilyn it is good that you have posted this.

TreeFrog
Old 01-21-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
The Shark Steamer will get the floor clean and the steam dries lickety-split. No chemicals - just clean.
I would love one of these but some of the members here bought the one for $36 after T.G. at Walmart and had nothing but problelms.. it was on a note here so I haven't invested.