Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cold Weather Grrrr not Brrrr >

Cold Weather Grrrr not Brrrr

Cold Weather Grrrr not Brrrr

Old 12-12-2009, 10:58 AM

We are on a well also (I was a city girl til we moved here). Two years ago during a cold snap the insulation slipped in our well house and the pipes froze. It was bitterly cold and my poor husband was out there working on it. Got it fixed and we insulated, insulated and insulated some more. No problems in the cold snap this last couple days. To "Beachlady", if you lose power during a storm be sure to get some water in pots before you lose pressure. Our power can go off for 4 days and at least we have some water.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:01 PM

I learn so much here. As a girl who has only ever lived in Australia it's hard for me to get my head around the cold that so many of you put up with. I have only once stayed in house where the pipes to the toilet froze (it was in a house up in the mountains) but none of the other pipes did so it wasn't a big problem. Where I live we only have been getting about 18 inches of rain a year so if we had to leave our faucets running we would be out of water in weeks. I love seeing all the photos of the snow as we are sweltering here. I would love to have a white Christmas one day. As long as it was only for a few days lol.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

We have been doing it too. Jim is planning to buy pipe warmers. I wonder if that is anything like leg warmers....
Old 12-13-2009, 08:35 AM

We got lucky and didn't get the freezing rain. We still have the cold and the forcast says it will get colder by Tuesday or Wednesday. Yuck!
Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I grew up in a trailer that spent most of the winter with frost on some of the interior walls. Frozen pipes were a way of life. As an only child, I spent many hours crawling under with my dad to fix broken pipes. (I'm very handy with a tubing cuter and PVC glue.) Even running water all night didn't save us many, many times. To this day, I HATE frozen pipes and any other plumbing problem. It is almost a phobia for me. I will not stay where the water does not work.

I think one of my favorite things about my house is the water has NEVER frozen here and if it did my husband would just tell me to go shopping until he fixed it. :)
I love your DH's way of thinking :D:D:D
Old 12-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Boston1954
We have been doing it too. Jim is planning to buy pipe warmers. I wonder if that is anything like leg warmers....
Aren't leg/lap warmers pets??? :D:D:D
Old 12-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

luckily our pump is in the house and we use enough not to have frozen pipes, the one that fills the tank in the house is good but the taps that run directly from the well are frozen. Since we don't need the second tap we are all good, and it is darn cold here today, it is -35 F At least that is what the computer is telling me it is,
Old 12-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

That is a Brrrrr AND a Grrrrrr cutebuns!!!!
Old 12-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Linda - K.
We are on a well also (I was a city girl til we moved here). Two years ago during a cold snap the insulation slipped in our well house and the pipes froze. It was bitterly cold and my poor husband was out there working on it. Got it fixed and we insulated, insulated and insulated some more. No problems in the cold snap this last couple days. To "Beachlady", if you lose power during a storm be sure to get some water in pots before you lose pressure. Our power can go off for 4 days and at least we have some water.
YES!!! People not used to wells may forget they are run by electricity and will not have water when the power goes out...waaay different from city water lines!!! We kept gallons and gallons of fresh water on hand.... and kept the bathtub full of water in one bathroom to dip out of for the toilet...and some extra water drawn for this too, when we knew a power outtage was probable.

Water can go bad if stored too long...especially if stored in the sunlight.... Jugs can split if frozen too...
Old 12-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

since I only have one tub, there is no water stored in it and you never know when the power will go out here, it doesn't happen often and then we don't have water, in the summer we have the rain barrel and this year I have one in the garage with me that has rain water in it and is replenished with snow at the moment. it is good to water plants with etc as we have high saline here.

We have not had any issues luckily with the well or anything, even when we had little rain and lots of people here, it produced well.

I am supposed to go out for groceries, I need to find my long johns and maybe even layer them, I will look like the michelin man