Cough mixture

Old 12-17-2014, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

If you have a persistent cough and the prescribed meds don't help and now someone else in the same household/family has it, you need to see a different doctor or go to the ER. There is a bacterial pneumonia going around that is contagious. My sister had a persistent cough that the doctor just kept giving her a cough syrup. He tried some antibiotics. This was a few decades ago. It started in June of one year. After a couple weeks and no better, I told her to see a different doctor. My family thought that was an insult. Finally this doctor sent her for exrays in December after Christmas. Dad called me and said they found lung cancer. I used to go to the same doctor but quit because of distance and other stupid stuff before the nurses were allowed for certain exams. Anyway. You need to be checked out. By the way, I do not get flu shots 1 in my lifetime and worse case of flu I ever had. Almost wound up in hospital. Have had the flu couple times since and nothing like what I had with the shot. I am adamant about people washing their hands. A persistent cough past 10 days with no relief from prescribed meds from beginning warrants a trip to the ER. Who wants to spend the holidays in the hospital or so miserable you don't spend with family?
Old 12-17-2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I have just been on main and read thread about a harmful seam ripper. It reminded me I went into holland and Barrett and asked for a cough mixture what tablets did I take, oh you can't have a liquorice one. The one I ended up with was a waste of time. So I went out purchased , lemon, honey sugar oh and whiskey . Mixed all this together with hot water . 24 hours later the cough was gone and I felt fine. Granma certainly knew best.
When I feel a cold coming, I always get the tea kettle out. I also get a Hibiscus, Cinnamon Tea at Krogers that is awesome and when you think it cannot get any better, I add a slice of Ginger, some local honey, a squeeze of lemon and a nice long tip of the Cinnamon Whiskey Bottle. I have a cup of this for several days -- just to be sure.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:34 AM

I usually get a bad case of bronchitis every year about when the weather changes. Prescription meds do not work. My daughter fixed me some cough medicine: 8oz jar of whiskey, some peppermint candy (however many you want) some lemon juice (whatever) and honey (your choice). I take a tablespoon full at a time and it stops my cough for approx. 2 hours. Bonus: I can take it at work and it doesn't make me drunk or dizzy. I don't drink and the taste is horrible to me. It takes a while for the peppermint to dissolve so this is best made up before you need it - just in case.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by AnnEliz View Post
DottieMo--How much of each, please. My DH has been coughing for 3 weeks and 2 trips to Doc--still coughing. Got it after he got 1/2 flu shot--I know--you don't get it from the shot--Bah to that, too. That's where he got it.
That's why I don't get the flu shot any more.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

did you get the flu from the modern shots? They are not supposed to be a live virus. I never got the flu shot until I got the flu and then was so sick I thought I was going to die, really. Now I get the flu shot and in about 30 years haven't had a reaction except maybe a sore arm a day or two.

I have had an unrelenting cough twice in the last few years which was bronchitis and the right drugs and then when nothing was coming up a prescription cough gel which worked fine. That cough was awful.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:11 AM

The trick with the honey is that it should be local honey. Fortunately, we have a group of beekeepers and a small local grocery that sells local honey.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

I got a prescription for coughing from my Dr. Didn't work, got another, didn't work, got another and it worked great. You have to find the one that works for you. Next time you will know what to ask the Dr. for.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:12 AM

the flu shot that's being given every year is an educated guess by the CDC. it covers the viruses that the experts think will come through. this year. they guessed wrong. the flu shot is still important--but the shot covered the type "B" flu--and the one that has hit, everywhere is type "A"--the bird flu. yes, it can lead to pneumonia. don't mess with a persistent cough. go to the doc. bronchitis can become chronic. yes, lung cancer is sometimes the cause of a persistent cough, as well. so is emphysema. but dang, people--get the darned shot. people die from the flu--there have been 7 deaths in our state this year, already. and if you are already immunocompromised, with diabetes, chronic disease of any kind, you need the protection. i want to live long enough to use all this fabric, and i don't want to get more by going to someone's estate sale...
Old 12-19-2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Edie View Post
My Mom put Musterole on our chests and then when it got a little better it was Vicks on our feet with socks, , Vicks on our chest and then up the nose. A cold will last either one week or seven days - That's it! But now that I can have whatever all of you are having, it's no big deal. Whoo hoo -12 years old and I get some hot booze cuz I got a cold". We had a cough medicine from the drug store (back in the 50's) that was so full of codeine, it would put you to sleep. They, eventually too it off the market. And I can't remember the name of it. Tasted cherry like, but ooh, it felt good going down. I still don't like colds!!!!! Edie
Was it Cheracol? If so, it is still available. It was a prescription cough syrup. I remember it didn't take much.