flint
first aid kit
pet food
water peur. tabblets
veg. seeds.
hand crank radio
emergy exit
Old 06-03-2010, 10:07 AM

Here's my survival trick. Find a friend that is paranoid about needing to stock up on survival gear. Then on that one-in-a-million chance the gear is needed, go stay with them. By the way, honey never goes bad and lasts forever. So, you'll always be able to satify that sweet tooth. If it starts to crystalize and get hard, just heat it up and it'll go back to normal again.

Oh, and I am not out of shape........round is a shape. :oops:
Old 06-03-2010, 10:55 AM

I never thought about that, I live in Ill. (we did have 2 in the last year I felt both, lived in Ill all my life and we never had one, scary. I see lots of friends are giving you great info.Glad to know friends are there for us.Thanks
Old 06-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisanne

One major way to stay prepared is to stay fit and strong. If you need to run or climb or hang onto something for dear life, or defend yourself against an attacker (human or otherwise), you need to be physically able to do it. (I say this as someone who very much needs to work on this.)
As far as defending myself, I will rely on firearms and knowing how to use them. I am not in the greatest of shape but capable of running, climbing and hanging on, but if I am injured at least I can protect myself. I am fortunate in that I am rural so if all hell breaks loose at least I don't have to escape an urban jungle. I also have an old fasioned hand well that the water is potable and safe. I am in good shape if I can stay home but if I have to bug out, I am in bad shape. Good suggestions here.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:30 AM

I take exception to being called paranoid. I have a first class first aid kit (sutures included) and what some would call survival gear. I guess those that live in tornado alley, hurricane and earthquake zones take survival gear a little more seriously than others. Being prepared is not paranoia. Ask anyone that has been evacuated for any of those things.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

I'm not going to worry about it. I'm glad everyone else is prepared.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:26 AM

I make sure my treadle sewing machine is in working order. Gotta have that fix. LOL
Old 06-04-2010, 05:30 AM

We had ordered a couple "kits" through Jim Bakker which included a pot, some food, and blanket(?) but most importantly, a container that you can put DIRTY water in, and it filters fresh CLEAN water. Lets all remember we NEED CLEAN WATER in case of an emergency!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:36 AM

There is someone we know who was "prepared" when we were expecting a disaster in Y2K (remember THAT?) - she bought barrels of wheat seeds and encouraged me to do the same. Her refrig and freezer were FULL of smaller bags, etc etc. Well, she is stocking up again. I asked her what happened to the rest of her stash, and she told me that it was old now.........'guess that freezer and refer didn't help?..and needed to refresh it. So much for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ she invested. If "the time comes", it comes. I have the faith, we prepare somewhat, but really, can ANYTHING really help us? Like I said we have the faith and there are so many scare tactics out there!! ..........we do have a firearm or 2-------
Old 06-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

We are only "somewhat" prepared. I think that so many DO put together great kits and supplies only to let it sit and gather dust and age. If you are inclined to put together what you need...it is a job to keep it current and fresh. A job that you HAVE to do and yes, that is expensive to keep throwing away and replenishing.