Covid Opportunity

Old 06-03-2021, 10:43 AM

Default Covid Opportunity

What has being sequestered with Covid given you the opportunity to learn?

I have always wanted to be an artist, but knew I just didn't have that ability ever since my first grade teacher criticized my work. Well -- I had seen alcohol ink art online and loved the way the colors flowed and that all you had to do was blow them around with a straw. As I got into it, of course I needed the right paper that allowed the ink to flow (Kirkland photo paper or Staples, using the wrong side) and different devices to blow the ink around (low wattage hair dryer, airbrush, etc.), isopropyl alcohol and the ink (JoAnns' coupons). There are outstanding teachers on YouTube to learn from, too.

Now I'm learning to do modern calligraphy so I can do pretty lettering on the cards I make with alcohol ink.

So, even though I'm practically older than even senior citizens, I'm still excited about learning new things and thrilled that with the generous help of YouTube teachers, I can learn them.

How about you?
Old 06-03-2021, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

I learned that I have to let go of things that are beyond my control, well mostly. I didn’t learn a new skill but I sure mass produced masks!
Old 06-03-2021, 10:58 AM

I learned to bake sourdough bread. It definitely involved a learning curve. I made several frisbees before getting something edible.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:24 PM

We’ve been in this house for 20 years, and I used my kitchen more this past year than the previous years! I learned how much I enjoyed eating food at home. Well, of course, after the first 6 or 8 months, I was kind of over it (fixing and eating every single meal here).
Old 06-03-2021, 05:58 PM

I didn’t start anything new but I did read a lot - and I mean a lot!!! I do get electronic books sometimes but I still really want to hold an actual book, so I’ve been keeping Amazon, Barnes and Noble and BooksAMillion (BAM) coming to my home as I have free shipping from all three!!!

Sandy in Mooresville, NC (visiting family in Colorado)
Old 06-04-2021, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

I learned to relax and enjoy my home and surroundings. Cooking and pulling weeds isn't so bad after all. I was always on the go. Covid taught me to slow down and enjoy what I have.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:57 PM

I would say patience but I haven't quite gotten the hang of it just yet
Old 06-04-2021, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

Since retirement over 4 years ago we spent a lot of time at home. I felt much better about it when we started going out to shop for our own food. I like to see whats new or how so many people were hoarding so much TP, paper towels and different foods.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:29 AM

I haven't learned a new form of art nor have I caught up on all my quilts. I have started a number of tops and completed 12 so far. I have a ton of blocks made to put into quilts but am nowhere close to getting them sewn together.
What I have learned is to slow down and in turned stop hurting my body so much. I have a very bad back and all the activities I like to do put stress on my back. So I have slowed down. That is a miracle all its own. No Rhizotomy in about a year and a half. I have one scheduled for this month since it is finally catching up to me. Then I should be pain free for a good 6 months or more. COVID has taught me to slow down and love more where I am with what I am doing. My love of quilting and now using the Accuquilt System had increased what I can do to a point I will never run out of quilts to make.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:59 AM

I took three on-line classes from Helen Godden and learned her techniques for painting on her quilts using dyes as well as acrylic paints, and also learned some nifty new fmq patterns from her. I joined Debby Brown's Color Block quilt along in January and that means that each month I have a big quilt to practice all kinds of FMQ and ruler work ideas on without the stress of trying to do something completely original to put in a show. I have learned how much I enjoy just puttering around the house doing things that need doing and treating my creative outlets as fun hobbies rather than post retirement second careers- as someone who has always insisted that my hobbies pay for themselves, this is a real breakthrough .

Rob