Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is it crazy to move 2700 miles west just to be warm? >

Is it crazy to move 2700 miles west just to be warm?

Is it crazy to move 2700 miles west just to be warm?

Old 01-19-2011, 02:32 AM

You need to do what's best for you.Maybe selling the house & renting close to your work would make a diff? I'm one of those rare ppl who likes winter :-) We don't get the bad winters we had yrs ago in SE Ohio.Love being snug at home when the snow falls, but I don't have to drive in it.

BTW,you might have big elec bills most of the yr. Our DD in Fl has a huge AC bill mostly yr rd.Just something to figure in. Good luck with your plans.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:24 AM

hi. you think your crazy.. we're are hoping to move from england to canada,where i live its the south west of england a place called devon, where we don't get any or not much snow, and moving to a place in ontario,where it aveages -34 in the winter.lol. now who's the crazy one.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:50 AM

explore ALL options.Would you stay in AZ, if your son didn't like it & moved away? ect. My aunt did what you're thinking, her son HATED AZ, picked up & moved to FL.Costs of housing, food, utilities vary from region to region, so be sure to check how such things will affect your bottom line.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:51 AM

FIRST - take a good look at all aspects of your life; housing, employemnt, family, funds. Once you take a realistic look at your "life" then you can make the decision. As they say "been there, done that" We moved to AZ from IL almost 20 years ago. We thought long and hard and had to make some really difficult decisions. But in the end all has turned out well. BUT the winters are great and in the summer we hang out by the pool. Good Luck in your decisions.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:35 PM

Run!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:55 PM

Maybe take a vacation there and hook up with some folks that can tell you about the weather year around. Also, need to know if utilities are close to the same price. When I moved from Calif. to TX I found out that ALL the utilities are higher as well as auto insurance and homeowners insurance.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:13 PM

I say life's too short to freeze your tuckus off when you yearn for warmer weather. Sounds like you have a plan, and if you're sure you can live for 2 years on saved cash, GO FOR IT!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

I like the southwest area but the water situation in the dryer hot climate is something to consider.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
With the exception of 7 years in AZ I've lived in NH / MA for my 52 years of life. I've discovered the last 8 years or so I really, really, hate the winter. I hate the snow, the ice, driving in it, shoveling it, looking at the mounds of dirty snow toward the end of the season, and I'm cold.

I have an old house that seems to regularly need costly repairs which is getting more difficult to manage financially being single. I have a good job with little chance of losing it, but I really don't like it - 30 years doing the same thing has taken its toll.

Nancy, 22 yrs. ago, after spending 4 previous winter vacations in AZ, My husband & I moved from NH/MA because we had reached our capacity for digging cars out of ice & snow. I have not ever regretted the move nor gloating of our 70 plus weather when the east coast is having another Noreaster.

Yes, I miss friends and some family left behind however, that's what they invented air travel for, and it works both ways. You will love winter and friends will love having somewhere to go warm and have friends there to visit.

After 20 yrs. the heat of August gets a little old but that's what we have the north part of AZ for. ANd if you ever miss snow you can always go up north and play in and go home to lovely weather.

Andie

My son will be going to a 4-year college in VT then his job will bring him to either CA or Europe. My daughter and new grandson want to / will be moving to AZ because she's tired of winter as well.

Would it be crazy for me to sell my house, quit my job, and move to an apartment in sunny AZ and look for a job there, if I have 2 years of cash to hold me over?

Would you do this?

I'll check back later tonight; have to make the hour drive to work.

Thanks. I really need some serious input on this.
:-D :-D :D :-D
Old 01-19-2011, 04:02 PM

Since I live a split life with 6 months in my home state of Wash. & the other 6 in Ariz. I would suggest that, if it's poss., you might wait til your dtr gets settled in Ariz. Try to live there for awhile. It's such a huge jump from where you are now. Summer in Ariz. is like sticking your head into a preheated oven. Of course everything is air conditioned. You'll also be surprised at how much your heart will stay in that old drafty house. Don't cut off everything there til you're sure you can adjust to a new surrounding.
Of course, it will also give you a new start which you might be ready for.
Good luck whatever you do.