Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is it crazy to move 2700 miles west just to be warm? >

Is it crazy to move 2700 miles west just to be warm?

Is it crazy to move 2700 miles west just to be warm?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Caroltee
You need to hurry before we run out of room...
This is hilarious!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:10 PM

find it amusingly comforting that we all have a gripe about where we live. I think it's like hair - if yours is straight you get it permed and if it's curly you take a flat iron to it. It's always something, or something else.

I really feel that I don't want to stay here, but that is assuming I find some place I can gripe less about. I know I would miss the ocean, the change of seasons, and the smell of lilacs so there would have to be a greater gain, but today, I feel the need to be elsewhere.

I printed out a US map today and decided to check out AZ, TX, and FL. Whichever state beckons me I will fly out to during my July vacation and take it from there.

There is this thing deep, deep inside me that just wants to change my life, you know?
Old 01-19-2011, 04:18 PM

My grandparents left a plush life in the DC area for a warmer, less plush west coast existence. Nothing crazy about it. Other than driving across country with two hyperactive kids in 1949. That was kind of crazy.

I love Texas but some of the worst heat I've experienced was in Austin. Wherever you land, just be aware that they may have their own version of annoying weather conditions. It's a change though so will take you some time to reach an annoyed state. :0)

One word of caution, I have two friends who moved to opposite coasts and yet their complaints remain the same. Sometimes we take the problem with us.

If it's your heart's desire, I say go for it.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by ilovequilts
It's currently daily highs of 79 here in sunny Arizona. Job commutes tend to be pretty short here...There are lots of very safe areas...Gilbert, Mesa, Chandler, Queen Creek, Casa Grande. I am SO grateful I don't live where it snows!!!
I have to disagree on the commutes. I had 40 mile one way commutes for several years, and 20 miles is very common. That may not be as bad as some places back east, but not what I would call short.

Someone else mentioned getting a larger house very cheaply. Yes, such bargains can be found right now but, remember, although the cost of the house has gone, the cost of cooling it has not. $400+ ac bills in summer are not unusual for a larger home.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:21 PM

Not crazy in my book! I grew up in NJ, came west to Albuquerque in 1978 and settled here....but in March I'm taking the final steps to ARIZONA!!! I have relatives in NM, but have some in Arizona as well. Just turned 62 and going to retire!!! where it is sunny and warm!!! and can leave in the summer when it is TOO hot LOL. Work sort of just ties you down, ya know? I can't wait. Good luck whatever you decide, but I'm with you!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
Daughter is talking about going / moving to AZ this fall with my GS who will be 10 mos then. She has an old flame there so I am not sure if she's thinking with the smart part of her brain right now, but Oct is still a way off, so there is time to save her. ;) I told her to do what she feels she needs to do, but right now is not time for me to pack up and move. I also told her I may want to check out the Carolinas as they have a coastline and seasons, but not so extreme.

I love my old house as I feel a kinship to it, and we've lived here 13 years this year - the longest I've lived anywhere. We are aging together and my plan was to spruce her up a bit this year - paint the entire inside, new carpets, kitchen and living room set. It's a New Englander with an attached barn, has 19 windows, and it's perfect for the other three seasons.

Maybe I feel overwhelmed because I'm single, by choice actually, and have always lived with someone, either parents, husband (now ex) or kids. I really don't know who I am or what I can do and I'd like to find that out. If she does move and DS goes to VT college, I'll get to know me as me, and maybe my future residence will become clearer.

Since DD was an infant I've wanted to start a business sewing clothes and things for babies and toddlers and that would be my chance. Since GS has been born I have been able to sew some things for him and I feel that I want to pursue this. I'm a domestic at heart and somewhat of a loner, and between sewing, photography, and sitting on the porch with my coffee on a nice spring day, I feel like the richest and happiest person in the world.
Maybe what you should do(as many others do) is stay in the house you love and go to a warmer climate during the winter or some part of it. I was going to suggest anyway that you not tie your future to your DD or anyone else( though I can see you already see that). Their plans could change and they could move again. If you could take a vacation from the cold even for a few weeks maybe that would be enough to break the 'hate the snow/cold' feelings or at least make it more bearable for you.

Good wishes for whatever you eventually decide.