Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is it crazy to move 2700 miles west just to be warm? >

Is it crazy to move 2700 miles west just to be warm?

Is it crazy to move 2700 miles west just to be warm?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:25 PM

Make a quick check of the jobs in the area you want to move to. Then check out the housing and then make your decision. That is what we did when when we moved to our wonderful little house (1800 sq ft) in the western slope of Colorado, our retirement home when the time comes around for us to retire in about 10 years!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 PM

It's very sad to move at older age far away from your dear ones, one gets older and it becomes more difficult to make new friends. May be the warmer climate may give you more energy, there are so many "may be's". May be a change is good as a holiday.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:14 PM

Its not crazy. you will injoy the move make new friends, keep in touch with old friends meet new quilters find new LQS. Basicly Start a second life. Your children are grown. So whats the down side? I would check the cost of living, and job opertunities first. Do you have a retirement at your present job? Take Vacation time fly out rent a car and tour the area talk to locals,check with local law enforsement, Chamber of comerce, Churches, schools and newspapers they can give you all kinds of info on the area, jobs, and life styles. Happy hunting it sounds fun.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:24 PM

I would go for it, if I could see my way clear. However, I am having the opposite problem. I am moving to Iowa from warm and sometimes cold Oklahoma because my only child and grandchild live in Iowa. I have a sister (younger) who lives in Texas where we were born and raised, but I wouldn't move back there unless I was desparate. My husband died 5 years ago, but we had talked about moving to Iowa whenever my mother passed away. Well, she died 4 months before my husband and I was her executrix and am just now ready to close her estate. When that is done, then I will be moving. I really hate to leave all my friends of the 50 years I lived in OK, but I am 73 and will need someone to "take care of me" in a few years. If I move now, maybe I'll be able to make friends while I am still able to get out and go and do things.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:25 PM

We traveled over 1,000 miles to get to Florida. I'm sure we would have traveled 3,000 or more if necessary. Think it over carefully and then do what your heart tells you to do.
Winters are not only cold, they are painful, gray and gloomy. We did love winter when we were younger and could get outside to ride our snowmobiles and to go ice fishing.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Dee

Winter may be hard, but 3 years ago we moved from Az., tyo Pa., as it was way too hot for us. 120 and up is not human. We are retired, but jobs in Az. are not to plentiful and low paid, so think it over well. I have a single SIL who is a nurse and finally got situated. But good luck in your decisions.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:56 PM

It's currently daily highs of 79 here in sunny Arizona. Job commutes tend to be pretty short here...There are lots of very safe areas...Gilbert, Mesa, Chandler, Queen Creek, Casa Grande. I am SO grateful I don't live where it snows!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 PM

The best way is to get on your computer and start looking for a job and see what they have listed. you didn't say how close to retirement you are, alot to consider ,but it would be nice to get out of the snow ice and cold. check out the housing prices and what rentals are going for.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:28 PM

Take off running. I wish I had done that. By the time I got my DDs raised, I had too many years in to lose the retirement. Well, I ended up on disability from all the stree (and commuting 2 hours a day when I was not traveling for the job). Go for it.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by trish b
It is not so crazy as you may think. However think about the job you have and is that type "sell able" in another market. We live in Oregon and transplanted from "cold & Hot" Illinois 34 years ago and have never looked back. We took a vacation back then and found a job first. Best of luck with your decision. Trish B.
Trish B. we could have traveled the same road at the same time if you drove from Illinois to Oregon. As I say about Illinois...it's a nice place to fly over! :thumbup:
(Keeping in mind that I landed in Illinois from Hawaii in October...right ahead of one of their really snow filled winters. That was a change. :-P