Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is it crazy to move 2700 miles west just to be warm? >

Is it crazy to move 2700 miles west just to be warm?

Is it crazy to move 2700 miles west just to be warm?

Old 01-18-2011, 04:49 AM

[quote=Butterfli19]With the exception of 7 years in AZ I've lived in NH / MA for my 52 years of life. I've discovered the last 8 years or so I really, really, hate the winter. I hate the snow, the ice, driving in it, shoveling it, looking at the mounds of dirty snow toward the end of the season, and I'm cold.

I have an old house that seems to regularly need costly repairs which is getting more difficult to manage financially being single. I have a good job with little chance of losing it, but I really don't like it - 30 years doing the same thing has taken its toll.

My son will be going to a 4-year college in VT then his job will bring him to either CA or Europe. My daughter and new grandson want to / will be moving to AZ because she's tired of winter as well.

Would it be crazy for me to sell my house, quit my job, and move to an apartment in sunny AZ and look for a job there, if I have 2 years of cash to hold me over?

Would you do this?

Can you retire with 30 years but only 52 years old.

That's a very important matter for anyone to think about before any more.

If there's a pension that can be had, why not take the opportunity, move & be warm, and find other employment wherever you go.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:04 AM

I love Florida myself.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:49 AM

My mom & dad followed my sister from NY to Dallas, TX, and then 10-12 years later, followed her again to Western NC. NY was too cold in the winter, Dallas ended up being too hot in the summer, and NC is somewhere in the middle, except this year, when they've been inundated with snow!!
If it was me, I'd be tempted to go. The looking for a job while on vacation sounds like a brilliant idea!! God bless, whatever you decide.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:30 AM

Take a vacation to where you want to be in Arizona. Only look for a job the whole time you are there. Arizona won't be much fun if you are not working and then the stress sets in. If you find a job then I would give it serious thought. sounds like you are close to retirement.Hang in there until retirement. New job. You will lose your vacation time and seniority. Life is good no matter where you are when there is a pay check coming in.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:31 AM

Take a vacation to where you want to be in Arizona. Only look for a job the whole time you are there. Arizona won't be much fun if you are not working and then the stress sets in. If you find a job then I would give it serious thought. sounds like you are close to retirement.Hang in there until retirement. New job. You will lose your vacation time and seniority. Life is good no matter where you are when there is a pay check coming in.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:38 AM

I had an illness that made me really think about my life. I found it was the things that I hadnt done in life that I regretted the most, not the things I had done. What if you had only a short time to live? Would you spend it where you are, or would you move to somewhere warm and where your grandchildren are? Thankfully, I am better now, but I have never regretted the things in life that I have done.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 AM

Hate to say this been there, done that, before deciding, visit your daughter and see if you like the area No. 1. Number 2 see if there are any jobs in that area, there's nothing like moving and finding out they don't want you because of your age, and yes I know it's illegal but they do it anyway. They can use every excuse in the book your over quaified, not enough education, need a degreee in whatever. Like I say been there done that. You may find out you move there and can't find a job, or there pay scale is different than what you where getting. It's different on the West Coast from the East Coast. Think twice before doing it in this economy it's not a good obtion.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:21 AM

Get a newspaper from the city that you want to live-in. Check it out for about a month. You will get a feel for the area for very little money.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:27 AM

No it isn't. I hate the extreme cold. Don't know how our fellow quilters can stand it. Guess some just get use to it. It makes my skin hurt.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 AM

You are absolutely NOT crazy. However. Jobs here in Arizona are not easy to come by. We were one of the hardest hit states in the downturn, and are not recovering very fast. My DD had a high paying job with a custom home builder in Phoenix. She was laid off and it took over a year to find ANY job. She is working again in a different industry, for much less money. This story is the same all over the state. Don't expect miracles. Good luck.