Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Credit Card Information Compromised from Connecting Threads. >

Credit Card Information Compromised from Connecting Threads.

Credit Card Information Compromised from Connecting Threads.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:46 AM

I sure wouldn't use my debit card to make online purchases as if anything happens there is no insurance to replace the money but there is w/ a credit card. Perhaps Pay Pal w/ a credit card listed w/ them. Someone on this board complained abut Pay Pal, that she couldn't close the website when she was through w/ the transaction, so someone spent her money on Pay Pal. I just looked at Pay Pal and you can close that window. The exit box to click is at the top of the page. If you make infrequent purchases on line, use the same card to keep track of everything. If your credit has been compromised, contact experian and the other 2 to put a freeze on your credit. If Your bank acct is compromised, better close that acct. Any more suggestions are welcomed however all credit report give good advice.
Hope you stay safe. We live in a world where we must always be on guard, watch for the safety lock when doing a transaction and I no longer will hand a waitress my card to pay the bill. Pay in cash.
Hugs.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:48 AM

PS. Whenever I do a transaction, I close out the site, then close my browser.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:08 PM

I have a CC with a $100 limit that I use for paying on toll for toll road and small shopping purchases, don't ususally go over $100 unless it is for dogs meds/flea stuff. Pay cash at stores and when we eat out, those are worst places as they walk away with card and can copy it while ringing up bill or take picture of front and back and hand it back to you.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

I had my Discover card taken over by a phone call! If the customer reps will accept the changes over the phone then I don't need Discover. It's the only card I used for online shopping, no other use. Security for online shopping is going to cost any business a lot of money. The stores that don't or can't pay for the security will continue to have all information compromised. Now I use pre paid card. Just be sure it has a security code on the back or it will be a gift card.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:13 PM

You can get a VISA green dot card and load it with the amount of money you want to spend. You do have to pay a monthly service fee of less than $5.00 if you want to keep it. We do this so no one can hack our regular account.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:00 PM

so thats how it happened i had my card cancelled as well i am in alberta canada so it has spread well. tick me off. they called me right away. inconvenient though as i am away for 5 weeks. so what does one do now when dealing with these companies in my case it is connecting threads.com which is one of my favorite online places to shop.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:09 PM

Well, that may answer why my discover was hacked! It has almost $3k in charges from January 26th until I saw it on the 28th. I called and my account was shut down and a new card issued. Scarey!
Old 02-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadP View Post
I had my card compromised after using it at Connecting Threads. Thanks for the info. I will be hesitant to use it there again and I had planned on doing so in the next few days.
The file has been closed to however it was gotten and is now considered safe so don't be afraid to shop at ConnectingTheads.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 PM

Our internet card was hacked Friday -- $1800+. The company alerted us -- 7 hits with 5 in less than 20 minutes. We have to do some follow through this week Before I called the fraud number back I checked online (in case the call was a phising scam) and saw the items. Then I called. You have to followup fast -- this is the second time in less than a year and I have no idea where this was picked up. I don't let sites save my card number, but I know it is stored somewhere,

I do a lot of shopping online and have one credit card with a lowish balance that is only used online and the folks at the card company know the card is only used online. They have been great notifying us of problems -- but they said not many of these folks get caught unless they get caught in a big sting.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 PM

I NEVER use a debit card anywhere. It is so easy for criminal types to 'catch' the debit card info from the 'air' when you use a debit card and your checking account can be cleaned out very quickly if they do.

At least with a CC there is a limit to what you are responsible for paying if your card is hacked. But banks aren't very willing to replace your balance in your checking account when your debit card is hacked.

I've never used paypal. My DH has an account, so I can ask him how it works.