Cursive handwriting

Old 11-19-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by ABCQuilt View Post
I substitute teach while going to college to become a teacher. I was substituting 8th graders and they kept calling me Mrs. Cammom. I corrected them a number of times and they commented that is how you spelled it on the board. I am still in my twenties and could not believe that these children could not read cursive writing. On another note, I am going to college to be a math teacher and no student of mine will be allowed to use a calculator to tell me what 3 x 9 is etc. When I was in school we had to learn our times tables by heart and were tested very frequently. Here's hoping that I will make a difference!
Hang in there...you are doing the right thing...HURRAY for U!!
Old 11-20-2011, 08:15 AM

i suspect that longhand/cursive will eventually become a "gracious art", much like spencerian script and calligraphy. those who perfect it will be in demand in select circles, for hand written invitations, notices, and the like. but most folks will just fire up their computers, find a font they like (yes, they closely mimic cursive), and type away. then, press "print", and the task is done. it's all a part of the push to "push" that we all feel. the general population is like a bunch of lemmings, rushing toward something that they are not even sure about--but it's there.

i'm content to be a sucker for my computer--but my feet still wear luddite shoes. i want people around me who have a solid education in general, and just meeting a state's standard is not going to fulfill that. we need families who continue the education at home; parents who really accept that parenting is nothing but a huge, underpaid teaching job will be the salvation of the next generation. when the web crashes, and the "lights go out", we are going to need all of those skills we learned from our grandparents, including sewing, quilting, canning, gardening, fixing, making, creating, and *gasp* writing. keep the faith, folks. the "rush" is on, but ultimately, simplicity wins. and never, never, never, even for a moment, stop teaching--your kids, the grandkids, the neighbor kids, anybody who will listen. knowledge is power. the only way to pass on that power is to teach.

(nope. not a teacher. i'm a nurse, a wife, a mom, a grandma, a great-grandma. but i'll go to my grave an educator...)
Old 11-20-2011, 08:23 AM

Not only is cursive not being taught but I noticed a decrease in spelling words also. SAD
Old 11-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

Sad for me too, to learn my grandchildren aren't being taught cursive.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:19 AM

I had difficulties reading the frills & flourishes of my elders. I thought a lot had to do with the quills or ink pen nibs. Dad was a printer, fast, neat and, I thought, artistic. Mother used a modified version of the frilly script. I learned the Palmer method, but being a leftie who was being forced to be a rightie, the tilt of my letters, even written with the right hand, still leans toward the left, or if I slant the paper, the letters are upright. Although I have a continuous line style of writing, many of my letters appear to be ptinted. I was once asked for my signature. I noted that was my signature. No, they said, we need a cursive signature. I told them that was my legal signature,, and that was just the way I signed, if they wanted something different, it wouldn't be my legal signature. End of Discussion. They were not happy.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

it must be a regional thing- i checked and all of the local schools here still teach cursive- my granddaugters, neices and nephews are all still learning to read and write (hand writing) and a couple of them (2nd & 3rd graders) happen to have BEAUTIFUL PENMANSHIP!
so it's not everywhere that it's not being taught---thank goodness!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:53 AM

Thank you to all who are teaching things that are supplemental to subjects being taught at school.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:04 AM

Here is a thought to ponder. In the future how will these kids be able to read the Constitution or other historical documents?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:50 PM

Here is a thought to ponder. In the future how will these kids be able to read the Constitution or other historical documents?

They will find it here on the internet in print. Just as they will type everything on the computer or whatever new invention comes along next. It's called progress...isn't it interesting that we're all using it to have this discussion?

The Social Studies textbook that we use has the historical documents in print on the same pages as the originals.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:14 PM

Here's a good story. A few months ago, there were two stories in the Akron Beacon Journal on the same day. One said that cursive would not be taught in the public schools anymore. The other said a woman couldn't get her name on the ballot because she didn't have enough valid signatures.