Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Day light savings time:

I saw a posting on Facebook about why didn't they jump ahead at 4PM on Friday instead of the middle of the night on Saturday. I thought it was a pretty good idea.

Blog Entries
    It sure would make it easeir to readjust your internal clock. I work Sun thru Wed and this morning was really bad trying to get up and then trying to function at work.
    Judy

Thank you so much for the reminder! I have been sick the last several days and not watching the news. The only thing I have really done is the QB! Off to change my clocks!

Maxine says: It would be nice to do it the whole year, one way or the other....and not have to change and readjust our bodies and mind to a different schedule. Particularly if you are a full time worker or one on shifts. As a teacher, I hated it. But each to their own...its the USA law to obey.

And yet another reason to love retirement. I don't spend weeks trying to acclimate my internal clock, while dragging through a 40 hour work week. I wake when I'm no longer tired and can always catch a quick snooze if I need too.

Blog Entries
    I've been yawning all day long!!!

It starts sooner and ends later than it used to. It used to start in April and end in Oct until 2005, when it changed to what it is now.

I have been sleepy all day. There are some interesting articles online about how DST is bad for you.

It also doesn't save any energy. One article I read stated that DST costs around 1% more energy than standard time and several countries are considering ending the practice.
    As to the poster who said kids would go to school in the dark if it wasn't for DST has it turned around. For the past several weeks, the kids were catching the bus at sunrise until tomorrow when it will be pitch black. Besides messing with our internal clocks, it makes it more dangerous for commuting in the morning.

I wonder which one is the right time?
    :-)
    CAS

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
    There are worse things on this earth than daylight savings time.
    I AGREE. But I had my Verizon box which fortunately was displaying the correct time this morning. It will take a week for my body to adjust to an hour's different. Always had a terrible time when I had to fly back from NY. For weeks, my body was STILL on EST !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

"Daylight Saving" time....has anyone ever saved any daylight? :-)

I feel sorry for all you all over the country but it takes adjusting for us. We have to remember we are on California time, now. In the winter we are on Colorado time (our previous home). We have to take that into account when making long distance evening phone calls. The rest of the country should take it into account when calling in the morning. When the phone rings at 7 am we assume they don't realize it is NOT 8 am. The phone doesn't get answered until after 8.

I look forward to daylight savings time because that means it's light longer in the evening. I work 12hour shifts and it's no fun going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark too.
    Families are like quilts, lives pieced together, stitched with smiles and tears, colored with memory and bound by love.

I don't think it even helps the farmer's. They work by the daylight hours, not by the clock. Someone asked what is the real time??? We just came off of the real time.

I prefer Central Standard Time, my body is tuned to that time. I wish they would just choose one.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by lclang View Post
    Daylight saving time is nuts! Like cutting a piece off one end of fabric and sewing it back on the other. Accomplishes nothing. Most people are smart enough to get up earlier (or later) if they need to adjust. The rest of us are just aggravated for the convenience of a few. Rant over now.
    Ditto I totally agree with you lclang

I haven't been watching any TV, just DVD movies so didn't see the notice about the time change. Plus my alarm clock I found out was still set at the year 2005 (factory setting) as I replaced the battery backup and had unplugged the clock so lost all my programming. It wasn't until I came down to read a few emails that I saw the notice on AOL News. Almost was late to the Sunday meeting. Our congregation was a bit lacking as others had forgotten to change their's too. Have reset my clock to the correct year and date so I'm good for when it changes in the Fall. This clock changes automatically for me. Have 3 radio/clocks like that in the house.......Thank Goodness.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I love DST. It allows more time after dinner to work in the yard. We have had such a cold and dreary winter this year that I really need the extra light

It was amusing in church Sunday morning at the beginning of the service when the minister went through the ritual of announcing that people who were there must have remembered to set their clocks ahead, but he really should have said something 50 minutes into the service when all the people who forgot to set their clocks ahead arrived.

I love it when we change for the summer - nice long evenings to sit outside in - can't wait

I can't stay awake long enough for the drive in movie to start. I do not like DST!!!

Blog Entries
    this one is getting to me. I'm sleepy all the time and wanting to go to bed very early. what gives with that? it should be later since we sprang forward.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2