Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: sharing some more jo-anns savings . . .

Patty, I have the hardest time finding things I need with the 50% off coupons and when they had their last notions sale, I picked out two items I assumed were "notions" since they were in the same area but the ladies at the register said they weren't included. :? :( :? Other things were already on sale that I'd have liked to purchase, but I'm begining to think they're knocking off a little so you can't use the big coupons.
    What do you usually get when they have the half off stuff?

If they are not on sale I buy a fat quarter or a quarter yard of some cotton fabric or some buttons or one spool of thread...that is about it really...I don't make special trips anymore. :D

I bought a new rotary cutter at 50% off. I have 2 on the cutting table (one at each end) and one on the sewing table to trim blocks and cut thread tails. Sure is handy to have more than one.

June in Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by retrogirl02
    Patty, I have the hardest time finding things I need with the 50% off coupons and when they had their last notions sale, I picked out two items I assumed were "notions" since they were in the same area but the ladies at the register said they weren't included. :? :( :? Other things were already on sale that I'd have liked to purchase, but I'm begining to think they're knocking off a little so you can't use the big coupons.
    What do you usually get when they have the half off stuff?
    i start with magazines, but lately they've been putting those on sale for 10% off. today i needed some embroidery thread, so i used two different coupons and got two spools i needed for today's project (sulky wasn't on sale). they also have a machine embroidery book that i want at one of the stores, so i'll have to see if it's already on sale when i'm in that little town on friday. i live only 5 miles from one of the stores, so it's nothing these days for me to go in there every other day. they all know me by name!

i also get muslin and solids if they aren't on sale (for backings). and batting. insulbrite (for potholders) is basically never on sale, so it's good to use a coupon on that.

i think the notions aisle is going on sale friday. i always have a coupon 'in my back pocket' in case something isn't on sale. they know to tell me at the register! :) :D

thanks for sharing your ideas everyone....I hadn't thought of thread or magazines. I'm usually looking for material or templates, cutting mats, shears or rotary supplies. It'd be nice to pick up a new magazine or thread other than white or off-white.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricluvr
    are those good for in-store purchases or online only? i could use a teeny rotary cutter for cuttiing around curved templates. and another coupon for a pack of blades. those blades get you every time, don't they?

today they had all their blades on sale. I bought the Warm and Natural batting at 50% off.

bj
    I was in JoAnn's today and they had their fat quarters on sale for 99 cents. I was in a hurry so I didn't pick up too many, but I'm going back tomorrow. :)

I purchased a shape cut slotted mat for 50% off last week. I try to go for more expensive things with 50% off coupons.

Quote Originally Posted by june6995
    I bought a new rotary cutter at 50% off. I have 2 on the cutting table (one at each end) and one on the sewing table to trim blocks and cut thread tails. Sure is handy to have more than one.

June in Cincinnati
    as soon as they go on sale, you can't use the coupon anymore. the sales are never as good as the 40% or 50% off coupons. they use the coupons to get you into the store, then you give up and buy sales items because you're already there.

I buy all my El Burns books with coupons

i'm trying very hard not to buy any more books. i have too many books as it is, also too many mags. i would rather have more space for other things.
    i plan to start reading the older mags and discarding them as i go. i would offer them, but the shipping is too much.

maybe i'll do freecycle. they come and take them because it's local.

i, too, try to buy the most expensive stuff with the coupons. i'm taking my coupons to pheonix and los angelos over the holidays. who knows, right?
    don't leave home without them!

I learn a new and simpler technique with every El Burns book or video.
    She is amazing. You never have a problem with her patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    i'm trying very hard not to buy any more books. i have too many books as it is, also too many mags. i would rather have more space for other things.
    i plan to start reading the older mags and discarding them as i go. i would offer them, but the shipping is too much.
    I sell my old mags on ebay and can usually send first class in a manila envelope to keep the shipping cost down. I always charge a flat fee that covers the fees and the shipping. If they buy a few, use media mail shipping and the cost stays down too. Good way to make a few extra dollars!