Day light savings time:

Old 03-09-2014, 10:03 AM

I love daylight savings time, and some people still farm, at least until the large corporations finally run them out of business and have TOTAL control of the food we eat. I hate it getting dark at 4:30 pm in the winter.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:35 AM

I love daylight saving time. The only worry I have is for children going to school or the bus stop in the dark. For myself I enjoy the extra daylight to take after dinner walks or water my plants in my flower beds. I enjoy having dinner while it is still light and I can have the windows open to see the wildlife in my back yard getting their food and water before dark. I miss that a lot in the winter.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

All these time changes are the causes for "jet lag" and any other lag if you think about it. Looking at my computer clock tells me it's 1:40pm and my kids live in northern Indiana an hour ahead of us. When we talk time we have to ask your/my time.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:11 AM

About farming, before my DH passed 3 years ago, he would take his time to adjust the feeding times for our cattle. He gently did this about 2 weeks before each time change, worked here and we only run beef cattle, no milkers.
My current land renter has milkers and he does it gently as well, animals do not understand all the craziness. My 2 furries are set in their meal time, they know and let me know they need a meal, they like their internal clock.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by T. View Post
I agree, I don't know what it serves (now); it had a purpose when we were farming, but it's crazy for right now.
It still has a purpose. Its for the kids who have to go out and catch a bus, if left the same, some of them would be walking or catching a bus when its still dark out. Its safer this way. Do I like it, no especially when I have nights like last night where I can't go to sleep for most of the night and then I loose an hour and by the time I'm finally deep in sleep, my alarm goes off at 5 am to go to work. If it saves one child, then its worth it.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:42 AM

I saw a posting on Facebook about why didn't they jump ahead at 4PM on Friday instead of the middle of the night on Saturday. I thought it was a pretty good idea.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:02 PM

It sure would make it easeir to readjust your internal clock. I work Sun thru Wed and this morning was really bad trying to get up and then trying to function at work.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:18 PM

Thank you so much for the reminder! I have been sick the last several days and not watching the news. The only thing I have really done is the QB! Off to change my clocks!
Old 03-09-2014, 01:41 PM

Maxine says: It would be nice to do it the whole year, one way or the other....and not have to change and readjust our bodies and mind to a different schedule. Particularly if you are a full time worker or one on shifts. As a teacher, I hated it. But each to their own...its the USA law to obey.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:49 PM

And yet another reason to love retirement. I don't spend weeks trying to acclimate my internal clock, while dragging through a 40 hour work week. I wake when I'm no longer tired and can always catch a quick snooze if I need too.