Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
DH wants YOUR opinion please >

DH wants YOUR opinion please

DH wants YOUR opinion please

Old 03-11-2010, 02:20 PM

I say put the same thru the whole house. then get throw rugs. I have a friend that has this in her sewing room, its absolutely beautiful. I was surprised at how real it looked.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:23 PM

I say do the wood you like throughout the house.
IF he doesn't agree (obviously he doesn't), I would say carpeting in areas you want cozy (living room)... although a nice big rug would do the same thing....

My vote is to do the flooring you like. :) Have fun! post pictures of it when you're done!
Old 03-11-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I believe that the Amtico, Rustic Cherry is the floor we installed into our house last year.
You will love this flooring. I suggest doing it all in the same floor and just use some throw rugs around the place
Thanks so much for your input and great to hear your experience with this specific product! We have three medium size dogs (boxers) who are active. Between the dogs, the rain, and everything, the Amtico just seems like a perfect answer. I've talked to a few people who have it, everyone of them LOVES it, even after five years!
Old 03-11-2010, 02:27 PM

My ex was a flooring installer, I had Amtico cherry in my entry, only because there were some dinged up pieces that couldn't be used on the job. I would've had that through out my house if I could've afforded it. It's a good material, so he said...
Now my taste is running a bit darker, on my wish list is something wide with a dark stain, like Mahogony, or Ebony. Yeaaaaaa.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:33 PM

Thanks so much for your input and great to hear your experience with this specific product! We have three medium size dogs (boxers) who are active. Between the dogs, the rain, and everything, the Amtico just seems like a perfect answer. I've talked to a few people who have it, everyone of them LOVES it, even after five years!

We think it is the best stuff around and tell everyone who asks!!! We've only had it about 18 mos. Love, love love how great it looks!!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 02:35 PM

We have laminate wood the same color in two halls the powder room and the kitchen. It has been 12 years and they look just the same as then. Except I need to clean them LOL.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:37 PM

I like the idea of having the same throughout. Please tell DH to forget the white/off white carpet - you will be cleaning it all the time (as me how I know)!!!! I have tile in hallway and kitchen and bathrooms with a dark grout, so easy to take care of. The rest of the house is beautiful hard woods and so far easy to take care of. Only room with carpet is my sewing room and I am sure the former owner put carpet because it is over an unheated garage and would have been too cold in the winter. It is 21 x 21.

If I was looking at your house to buy, I think the sameness of the flooring would seal the deal - it did for me with this house.

Sorry hubby!
Old 03-11-2010, 02:39 PM

I vote for the vinyl planking. In our downstairs, we have a similar product (not as pricey) which looks as good as it did when it was put down 4 years ago. This house was built in 1908 and, of course, originally had hardwood floors which were painted and/or covered over thru the years. I feel that our vinyl flooring just restored it to it's "natural" look. It's easy to clean too!!! :D
Old 03-11-2010, 02:46 PM

I really like it and I agree with the throw rug idea. I have had hardwood and they are a pain in the butt. We put laminate in our foyer (it's really a good sized room) and we love it. It's so much easier to take care of. We have had hardwood for many years and I can't begin to tell you the hours that I have spent keeping it looking nice.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:51 PM

You two are at opposite poles. Compromise and put the wood-look laminate in your main rooms, something else in the bathrooms, at least, and maybe the kitchen.

Yes, they say that continuing the same floor (and wall) color into other rooms makes a small space seem larger, but how badly do you need to make it look/feel bigger?

OTOH, while hubby is right that giving each room different flooring with give it its own identity, that can also be jarring if the place is very small. With 4 bathrooms, it doesn't sound small, though.

If anyone has allergies, don't get carpeting. Otherwise, discuss it. Some people love the warm feeling it gives a bedroom. I personally hate it. You could use big throw rugs instead, if you like that look.

Now, if you're asking what I'd put, I'd want real hardwoods in all rooms but the kitchen and bath, and real tile in those rooms. Whether I'd use different tile in each would depend on what the rooms look like.