Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Did you know that.......

Did you know that.......

.........if you reverse your car down your driveway between the house and the fence you should make sure your rear passenger door is closed! crunch!
    ........if you leave your car jammed and scrunched between the fence and the house until your irate husband comes home to untangle it every neighbour in the suburb will surely drive past and stare at your masterpiece!
    .......a car door can bend back on itself and its hinges....with a little persuasion........
    .......if my DH buys another motorbike tomorrow I'm not ging to utter a peep!!!

Yes, yes, I know and I feel your pain!!!!

OH NO! Hope the bill at the body shop isn't going to be too horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    OH NO! Hope the bill at the body shop isn't going to be too horrible.

Good luck with that! I wanna know how much it will be to fix the door!
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Rats, that must have hurt. Sorry to hear about your crunch.

Power Poster
    Oops! You must have been very distracted when you did that!

Did you also know that if you leave a vehicle with a standard shift parked on a hill in neutral that it will roll forward?

Never had that problem living in the city. Too many times I had people running into my back bumper because they were driving to close to me!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    Ohhhhh, that smarts! I heard ( big crash) a lady back into a cement light pole this week. I didn't see it but apparently the friend in the passenger seat was helping her reverse. With friends like that, who needs enemies!

Oh Ruby, I'm so sorry. I hope your dh isn't too hard on you.

Oh how I feel your pain. Many years ago, while trying to negotiate a very tight parking area, I managed to crunch my fender with the warning post. Always figured the parking lot people should have paid for the repairs because their post certainly didn't do its assigned job!!

And just last week I barely (and I mean by the barest of barely) managed to NOT scrape the top of my car. Who sticks a sign 6 feet into a parking spot without putting a barrier below the sign??
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

I feel your pain but just wait a bit. Karma will get even. I backed my van out of the garage into the side of my husband's truck sitting in the driveway. He was soooooooo mad at me!!! I got 6 months of teasing about it. Then, with my husband driving, we went to the cemetery on Memorial day. He told me to watch him back up using the mirrors to guide him. I told him to stop because the drive was 2 narrow gravel paths, one for each wheel and he was not on them. He said he was watching and CRUNCH!!!!!!!!! He backed into a fence post and scrapped the whole side of the van from front to back. I have not heard a word about me hitting his truck again. Just give it time......

Yikes! I am soooo sorry. You are okay, I hope? Bet you were sick and shaken up, at least!

Did you also know that when you back up into a car that's illegally parked, at night, in front of the hotel where you worked at age 20, and that car is filled with a family from Italy, that the driver of the illegally parked car will teach you Italian words that are delivered with the same inflection as English cuss words ?

Blog Entries
    Oh, I am so sorry. It is such a sinking feeling.

Did you also know... that if you drive a VW bus with a loaded car top carrier on the top of your bus through "the" mall parking lot (a high fallootin' mall) with a metal bar hanging from the roof (warning you of the height of the roof) of said mall that it will pop that car top carrier off in a second and drop it on the ground behind you????

Too make matters worse, if you have a 16 year old daughter in your car who is embarrassed at the predicament... along with a car of teenage boys not far away laughing their silly heads off and asking what you do for an encore... that your daughter will immediately get out of the bus and carry on with a pretend dialog (for the boys' benefit) as if we had purchased a carrier (at the mall) that was fully loaded with camping gear and how are we going to get it all 'in' the bus. I'm not clear as to which was funnier the predicament or my teenage daughter with her drama queen solution!

My hope is that you can laugh at this in the future. Our family has and still does.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Funny!!! And so sorry!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Isn't it funny how English cuss words have become international and some of the sign language also.
    Quote Originally Posted by zozee View Post
    Yikes! I am soooo sorry. You are okay, I hope? Bet you were sick and shaken up, at least!

Did you also know that when you back up into a car that's illegally parked, at night, in front of the hotel where you worked at age 20, and that car is filled with a family from Italy, that the driver of the illegally parked car will teach you Italian words that are delivered with the same inflection as English cuss words ?

Can so relate to this post. Earlier this summer I backed out of the garage with the front driver's door not quite closed. I got distracted looking for my sunglasses - anyway the door was completely open plus more by the time I stopped. Geeeeez! My husband wasn't home at the time so I had to wait a couple of hours to "break" the news to him. When he got home he looked at it and didn't say a word, just shook his head, which after being married 50 years, I know meant he was speechless. Anyway it cost me the $100 deductible to get it fixed and didn't cost quite enough to increase my insurance premium. We laugh about it now but it wasn't funny at the time.

same thing on my new (2015) Explorer, it's automatic but the manual says specifically "the auto may roll forward or backward even in park if the emergency brake is not set" So how long before the emergency brake pedal wears out if I set it everytime I park because I really have to step hard to get it set.?

did you know
    Grandma (90+ yo) getting her van in reverse instead of drive and going by an attached garage at 30 MPH as my DDIL watched, will take out the door of a 30X40" shop, wreck a 4-wheeler, a trailer, a lawnmower, tool table and cabinets and the rear wall of the shop and total the van. Bless his heart, my son, who's home it was, didn't say a thing.

I learned not to back out in a hurry. It can make small cars smaller. I backed my minivan out of the garage and forgot that I parked my little sports car in the driveway the night before. Well, now that little car is a bit smaller.

Blog Entries
    No one was hurt-and the damage was fixed at home. Its been 36 yrs and I am still hearing about it. My car had a flat so my boyfriend said he would it fix it later just take his van. Me and my best friend were shopping all the 2nd hand stores -getting ready for Halloween- our last stop of the day was a Goodwill with roof top parking. Half way up the ramp there was the most horrible screeching sound-well the front ladder rack did fall over but the back one didn't-We were stuck. I had to call home. BF and my brother came to rescue us. The only way to move the van was to flatten all 4 tires and take off the other rack. He never said a word -he handed me my keys and told us to finish our shopping. A few minutes later some lady came in and was telling the clerk about the 2 guys stuck on the ramp.She said they were laughing about it. By the time we got home the racks were fixed. Thank goodness he didn't have ladders on it. But after that day I never parked on the roof again.

These are hilarious! Thanks for sharing your story and making my day a bit brighter!!!!
    LOL
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

So sorry to hear about your misadventure. I am glad you are okay!

Glad you are OK! Try convincing your insurance company that your car was rear ended by a pick-up truck driven by a dog!! Years ago our car was parked out on the street. Someone came to visit their friend a few houses up from us, and left their dog in the pickup. Somehow the dog got the truck out of gear and it rolled down hill into our car!!

Oh my, you have all made me feel a bit more human about it all!!! Your tales are all so comforting!!!! So the car is off to the panel beaters......youch...deductable is about $600...oh well, I didn't really need to buy that coverstitch machine I've been thinking about! DH has been very chivalrous about the whole thing; in fact, he is very proud to report to anyone that will listen how well his homemade welded gate stood up to my onslaught with the car! Son-in-laws x3 have had a good laugh at my expense too. Luckily my dear old Mum has lent me her car whilst mine is being fixed so all is well....DH even got to purchase another motorbike after detaching my car from the gate. Crikey, that's motorbike number 4 but I don't think I'll complain about it...just yet....will wait a few months....tactful and self preservation etc you know!
    Thanks again to everyone for cheering me up.

DH and I laugh stuff like this off. If no one was hurt we laugh about it and forget it.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.