Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
A different take on Enough Already >

A different take on Enough Already

A different take on Enough Already

Old 02-22-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I think it's hard for any of us to have an idea of what is REALLY going on with the family and I don't think we can even form an opinion because we don't know the whole story. If the family dynamics is messed up, they need to sort it out and fix their relationships.

Sorry, but a "living room" that is filled to the rafters with bags of fabric IS a problem, no matter what charitable organization is SUPPOSED to be the recipients.
I totally agree - we don't know if/how the children tried to intervene in the past. We don't know what is in those other rooms ~ perish the thought! I'm thinking this lady uses her charity quilting as an excuse & is in denial. Husband was quite submissive & I felt daughter was justified in her feelings - the 'message' she got was family is not important if you don't have a place for us to sit & visit.

My husband's reaction - "you're not going to get like that are you?" lol
Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 AM

I agree that the family could have helped with organization, it was obvious that it was not dirty and there were lots and lots of beautiful quilts being produced. There was plenty of room left to organize the fabric that was given away.I didn't think they really looked into her heart.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:11 AM

Any hobby, past time, volunteer group that comes between you and your family is a problem. No matter how you look at it. Her child and grandchildren were going without their grandmother because of some fabric held together by thread. Yes, the organization she quilts for is a good cause. Her family is a better cause.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:18 AM

I agree the living room needed cleaned out or organized. What part of the country was she in. I couldn't move my stuff to the garage unless it was heated (pricey) and sealed better. But, at least she does have a place to quilt now and a place for her family again.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace
Any hobby, past time, volunteer group that comes between you and your family is a problem. No matter how you look at it. Her child and grandchildren were going without their grandmother because of some fabric held together by thread. Yes, the organization she quilts for is a good cause. Her family is a better cause.
An interesting thought. I hate to think that my relationship with my grandchildren depends on the condition of my house. I can go to their house, or take little ones to the park, attend their sports events or out to eat. Lots of things can be done. Not everyone has a nice big house for entertaining family. We go where there is enough room, depending on the size of the group at the time. My mother never cooked, baked, or had family events at her home. She still managed to have great times with her grandkids and her great grandkids. And if they live in LA, there are 11 months out of the year when you can entertain in the back yard. There was more going on here (or not going on here) than we will ever know.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
OMgosh. I am so torn between feeling sorry for her and her addiction and her family feelings. This statement really said it all. I quilt a lot and to keep my family involved I make everyone a quilt or two and they still ask me for more. LOL. My family supports my quilting and my charities, and I support family by putting them first. Thank you for your insight.
Now I have to go call my son and see how our brand new baby granddaughter is that was born last night while I was at the guild meeting. She has already been gifted with a quilt by Grammie and it's pink. YEah.....He has 3 bother boys.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by np3
This is not what I was expecting. Nothing was said about her going into debt so I have to believe that a lot of this was donated. And it was for a good cause. Volunteers were helping her. How did it get like this?

Why didn't the daughter invite her to come over instead of complaining about the mess? Everyone in that house could have helped with the organization. Why didn't they show the rest of the house? Was it because it wasn't a mess?

The garage was a mess with personal things, sporting goods, decorations, luggage. Why wasn't the husband keeping it clean? Most husbands are capable of putting in shelves and cupboards in a garage for storage.

If she was buying, storing and not using, I might have felt the problem was hers. But she was very active in making quilts for a very special purpose. I blame the family and the volunteers. JMHO
I completely agree. I think her involvement w/ QOV was so important to her, it got out of hand...and just where was the family???it didnt happen overnight, we gotta know that. She has a large family but only 1 daughter came over??WTH??? I felt bad for her and her husband. They seem so genuine and good hearted folks. Her kids should be ashamed :hunf:
Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 AM

NP3 - everytime I read the comments, I get new views. LOL. If the board members have so many reactions, just think about family. Maybe her family can give a little too and join in to help with her quilts.. my older grandkids already quilt with me when they visit. Even my GS who is 13. Oh well, we will never know. She has a heart of gold and I hope she is able to balance both loves now.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by justflyingin
Is there any way to see this show on line for someone who lives overseas?
Here's a few minutes:
http://www.oprah.com/own-enough-alre...lts-of-Valor_1
I have not seen the episode yet but the lil snippit from above makes it seem like she wasn't a hoarder at all. Just un-organized..
Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 AM

Ladies we all know that if our family member came into our quilt world and said "let me help you organize" they would be met with a (most likely) vicious "I DONT NEED YOUR HELP" and would run for the hills. We mostly are very protective over our world. I know I am. Somtimes it takes a stranger to get through to us. And as for feeling embarrassed for her, she signed the release and knew what was going to happen. It was her idea to quilt in the garage room. i think the family did the right thing to make her see what impact her generousity had on them. Sometimes we lose sight and need a "Gibbs" to the back of the head.