Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
A different take on Enough Already >

A different take on Enough Already

A different take on Enough Already

Old 02-22-2011, 09:01 AM

I too am thinking we don't know all the facts involved in this project. But I do know that for the most part it was a great feat, in that she was given a great clean up and organized for future sewing. I too am not sure of the garage being the best solution unless they were going to close in the garage doors with a wall and windows and an exit door. Lots of bugs can get into garages! Otherwise the area is subperb! :)
Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 AM

I watched it with my husband- first thing he says- you're not going to get like that?

I was yelling at the TV- she's not a hoarder- these are quilts for our soldiers! She needs to be organized.

Hubby did agree with me that this was all good fabric and was just disorganized.

I thought the daughter a bit snobby- why couldn't the family pitch in and help organize instead of an "intervention"? And they won't visit because of the chaos- look to yourselves- offer to help.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 AM

Personally, I think these homes are staged. Look at your own sewing areas - needles and pins, threads, paper, dust bunnies? Don't you have them? These shows show stuff everywhere , falling in upon itself and NO DIRT!! The dirtiest homes I ever saw were on the British show about the two women who came in and cleaned the house up, after swabbing for germs and bacteria. Now those places were really a mess!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

I still wonder if this wasn't just a good way for them to advertise the show on OWN Network... Look how many people are talking about it.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:42 AM

ROFL I love Gibbs slap on the head. SO funny. Has anyone ever seen him hit Abbey? Not me. LOL
Old 02-22-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
ROFL I love Gibbs slap on the head. SO funny. Has anyone ever seen him hit Abbey? Not me. LOL
Or Zhiva! Goes to show we women don't "need" Gibbs'ed!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by suebee

I completely agree. I think her involvement w/ QOV was so important to her, it got out of hand...and just where was the family???it didnt happen overnight, we gotta know that. She has a large family but only 1 daughter came over??WTH??? I felt bad for her and her husband. They seem so genuine and good hearted folks. Her kids should be ashamed :hunf:

About to watch it in a few minutes, but I can personally say....I wouldn't be on one of those shows as an adult child of the hoarder whether I wanted to help my parents or not. I wouldn't want my kids to see me on TV making their grandparents uncomfy and I wouldn't want their little friends to know they were related to the hoarder on the show. Some of her children have kids of their own and they should be putting their kids needs first, not hers. IMO, when someone makes a huge mess, it's nice if other's help them clean it, but not an obligation to do so.

I know it's hard to understand for some folks, but it really isn't about the stuff. It's usually about someone who won't get help for a genuine psychological disorder that doesn't allow them to let go of inanimate objects, often putting them before living breathing people. As the adult daughter of a Soma addict, I have to say, sometimes a child has to have some space from their parent for their own mental health and the good of their own family. If a parent won't get help, at some point, the child has to decide if being around that individual is healthy for their own kids and family. I wouldn't condemn any of her children for keeping their distance, whatever their reasons.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
Ladies we all know that if our family member came into our quilt world and said "let me help you organize" they would be met with a (most likely) vicious "I DONT NEED YOUR HELP" and would run for the hills. We mostly are very protective over our world. I know I am. Somtimes it takes a stranger to get through to us. And as for feeling embarrassed for her, she signed the release and knew what was going to happen. It was her idea to quilt in the garage room. i think the family did the right thing to make her see what impact her generousity had on them. Sometimes we lose sight and need a "Gibbs" to the back of the head.
THIS!! My mother is what I call a "neat" hoarder. She has TONS of stuff but 50% of it is all neatly put away in boxes and cabinets and bins in different rooms of the house. The other half is "neatly" piled up along the sides of rooms not used often. I can't count the number of times I, my brother, and/or my dad has tried to help her purge the stuff. 4 years ago she agreed to a yard sale. It took 3 weeks to convince her to put out just 4 tables worth of stuff (she could easily have filled 20-30), and even then it was like pulling teeth to convince her to sell each and every item we'd pull randomly from a pile. I'm talking about items like never-worn shoes that had a receipt in the box with a 1997 date and she still had an excuse why she didn't want to sell it. It became too frustrating and disappointing for all of us.

So please, those of you who feel her kids and husband could have helped her organize vs. just complained about it, please know it is more likely than not they HAVE tried...many many times. But especially when it's a "Mama rules the roost" situation, it is very difficult to go against that. Even when I look around my own house, I have to own the fact that 90% of the "clutter" or "stuff" is mine, not my husband's. Through all of my discussions with mom (who I adore and am very close to btw) I had to stay cognizant of the fact this was HER house, not mine. And also that my hardheadedness and big mouth didn't exactly skip a generation, LOL. :D
Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 PM

Also, I meant to add that Peter Walsh isn't dealing with those extreme hoarding situations like on the TLC show. you'll notice he rarely if ever even uses the word "hoarder." I think he goes in and assesses the situation looking to see if the person genuinely wants help and is willing/ready to purge or if they are mentally unable to do so....and he passes if it's the latter. He is similar to that Clean House show, where again, the people are indeed very cluttered/messy, etc.. but the difference between them and those on the Hoarders shows is they aren't in such deep denial of the situation they need to get a psychologist in to hold their hand through every little step of the cleanup.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:57 PM

OK, I watched it and it really was an inexcusable mess before. I think it's good to pass fabric on to someone who can actually use it rather than covering your living room in it personally.