Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you decorate for Halloween? >

Do you decorate for Halloween?

Do you decorate for Halloween?

Old 10-03-2010, 01:49 PM

last year in news there was a man who kill them self in his porch and folks throught it was a holloween decor till he started smelling how sad is that
Old 10-03-2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Nope. We don't decorate, hand out candy or anything. Our church has a party (non costume) where the kids play games and get tons of candy.
This is what we do too. Our families decorate their car trunks or truck beds. We give prizes for the best decorated car/truck. I made a fall quilt for the grand prize.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:57 AM

I have an electric pumpkin (ceramic) that I made years ago and light that up in the window. We give money to the kids. I remember when we had to go through the candy to make sure there were no pins, needles, razor blades to injure our son (crazy people in this world, you know). I decided my husband worked too darn hard to have the candy thrown away, so I decided to give money. Well, now years later, the kids are parents and they ask if we still give money. Yes, we do! And they love it. Doors open at 6:00 and for the past few years, kids are done by 7:00-7:30. So we close down and call it a night. Oh yes, we buy a bag of candy - B utterfingers or Reeses Peanut Butter Cups for ourselves. Edie
Old 10-04-2010, 03:42 AM
Lyn

I live in a very small neighborhood and the kids look forward to my house. I wasn't going to dressup to hand out candy this year like I have every year. I was a cat once, scarecrow another. I was just diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis and not feeling well plus I am on some nasty meds. A neighbor came up to me and asked if I was dressing up this year because her kids love it. (my kids are grown and gone) so down to the basement to dust something off.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

We live way out in the country and have NEVER had a trick or treater, except the kids friends who would stop by! I do have a bunch of cute black cats I put around, and pumkins outside!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:53 AM

I live in a high-rise and our apartment is at the end of a hall. Across from us and one apartment down there is a family with children (well, pre-teen and teen now but still kids at Halloween). We decorate outside our doors for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas (me)/winter (them). One year the man directly across from me was away the whole month of October so we did his area also. Our best touch - yellow crime tape across his door.

Our building has a party for all residents and the woman in charge, a professional caterer who lives here, does the most wonderful decorations. You might reach for a piece of food and a hand will move in the bowl, eyeballs could be mixed in, stuff like that. You either love it or you don't. I usually lend her my Halloween quilts for the entrance to our building's community room.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:59 AM

I do not do Halloween. Our church has a trunk or treat for the kids. They play games & give candy. All kids are invited.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:57 AM

My grandson and I decorate the front porch every year, our tradition. The pumpkin pokes are wood. So no carving. I bought them from various craft fairs.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-105485.jpe  
Old 10-04-2010, 07:00 AM

That's a great picture (decorations AND handsome boy).
Old 10-04-2010, 07:04 AM

Halloween is one of my favorite days of the year and I always decorated and dressed up to give out the candy. I have a great front door decoration that the kids all loved. Here's the but, we now do part time in FL and we are there for Halloween. It is a condo complex that, although it is not 65+, there really isn't any kids there, so no trick or treaters. All my decorations are still in MA. Maybe one day one of my kids will want them. I do put a small quilt on the front door for other holidays like valentines and St. Pat's. Maybe I'll make a Halloween hanging for the front door.