Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Do you ever feel blue for no reason at all?

It used to happen to me often. I went to the Doctor.He said the answer is DRUGS, Actually, I just take a nap and try not to worry about it.(Not much help am I?)

Dee
    Yes, that feeling is very normal. I get that way when its cloudy and rainy for a few days in a row. I get busy sewing and all is better.

Quote Originally Posted by nyelphaba
    It happens to me frequently, I call it menopause.

I was about to say the same thing or possibly peri-menopause. If you haven't been to see you Gynocoligist lately sounds like it's time for a chat with them. Hang in it can get better with help today. {{{{Hugs}}}} :D

Blog Entries
    I've had lots of those. It seems like they come on for no reason. I'm going to be 76 this month, so it's not menopause (I hope ) ;-) In all these years, women have called to talk to me about their 'blues' because they always say that I never am 'down'. Little do they know! I have 6 daughters and 3 sisters, all thinking I'm always cheerful. I should win an award! I find that cheerful peppy music and getting busy with an project usually snaps me out. Later, it gives me a bit of a measuring stick and insight into the saddess that some have all the time. I think it is good to feel it once in awhile, just to give us better understanding. Next time, force yourself to do something nice for someone. A call, a cookie for the next door neighbor, pet your dog or cat. It will fix you, promise! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

For me it didn't go away. My sleep cycle was affected. My blues led to crying and my appetite was a mess. Didn't want to eat. Then I would have days when I just wanted to sleep all the time. Enough! Got referal to psychologist, talked a couple of times, then to a psychiatrist for medication (NOT WELBRUTRAN-really puts the weight on) Found one that worked and life looks a lot different now. I am 61. Talking to the psychologist a bit more helps too. Better that spilling every thing on every friend I have. That's my story. I'm stickin to it. fbs810

When I get blue I always have this sense of longing for something, oprobably something I missed out on in life. For me the blues seem to go away as fast as they came.

Blog Entries
    A little later in this post, it kind of sounded like i was blowing the blues away. Not so. I have had the real kind too, that aren't blues but a serious health condition. By all means, if it hangs around to the point you are losing sleep, weight, eating too much, these are serious. See a Dr right away.I thought we were referring to the temperary come and go stuff. Sorry if it seemed like it was just fluff. :| :|

I agree that it could be hormonal....however, maybe u need to get away from ur present environment...it may do wonders for u....

To me being sad is like smoke that settles around you. Its wispy and sneaky and can get into the crevices of your heart and mind and its so incredibly HEAVY. The good thing about it is ~ its smoke and it will dissipate and go away. When I get sad for no reason I go outside and spend some time in the sun and the air. I try to get up a little earlier before it gets too hot and just enjoy the silence of outside. I wish you well my friend...its hard sometimes because you can't really explain why the sad is there...A few times even loosing myself in a quilting project is all I need to zap it away...other times that doesn't work. A good long hard cry sometimes will help.... =)

Honey, just smile and don't let anyone know how you REALLY feel. I have been under an inordinate amount of stress for over 3 years now and it finally caught up with me. Dr happened to notice my mood, put on an antidepressant and something to help me get some sleep and now I'm dancin. Hang in there, it does seem like life catches up once in a while

I get the blues myself. For me it means my thyroid is off. If it lasts too long then I have it checked and the medication is adjusted.

Lately I look for happy material so I can sew to make myself feel better.

Good luck to you I hope things get better soon.

I'm feeling that way today, can't get motavited and could just sit and cry for no reason.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by colin' s grammy
    I'm feeling that way today, can't get motavited and could just sit and cry for no reason.
    Oh, I hope it is better today. Has something happened that you can put your finger on? (you don't have to share, just think about it). If it has, look at the prayer for serenity. It will get you through. We need to accept that fact. Don't beat yourself up for someone else's shortcomings. If that isn't the case, and you aren't getting sick or something how about a shower, fresh clothes and make-up if you use it, and a walk or drive or any thing you can do for a scenery change. Even the library is a good place. Free quilt stuff there. Hope any of this helps, better yet , I hope it has passed. Hugs and smiles and a pat on the back.
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbup:

I find crying productive. I ask the Lord "if I must go through this, I need Him to help me through it." Please check with your doctor...life is too short to feel blue for no reason. You are in my prayers.

If it lasts for more than a couple of weeks see your Dr.

and if your husband says your bathroom isn't clean and you spend 2 hours crying and scrubbing and won't let anyone talk to you, maybe you should see a dr. If you are blue frequently, gain weight, are constipated, sluggish in your thinking and lose hair, see your dr. could be depressed mood, hypothyroidism, sleep apnea, or restless leg syndrome, stress or maybe all of them,
    Meds, help so can a therapist, manning yourself with information might help.

Oh yea, that happens to me every once in awhile.. I hate it! Sometimes I just want to sit and cry for no reason at all, you feel lifeless, tired and no ambition to do anything... I do think it has alot to do with menopause, I've been going through this for at least 8 years, and I am sick and tired of it, wish it would just go away!!
    Hope your blues go away soon, mine so far have always gone away almost as fast as they've come... all of a sudden one day I wake up in the morning and I feel great so much energy and no more feeling blue, until the next time it hits me again.

Quote Originally Posted by arimuse
    I actually was very depressed/moody from about the age of 14 until I hit menopause. (wanted to commit suicide around 14) The hot flashes were a B* but even thru them, menopause made me feel like I had a whole new life in front of me. Being old, except for the beat body is the best time of my life!

I have never ever liked Drs or meds - the only time I went to Dr for it was when I was 19 and the Dr said: "do you have a boyfriend?", yes, "is he here?", no, in Vietnam, "well, you'll feel better when he comes home." The end. After that the only time I've been to a Dr is for mandatory work physicals. (Oh, went in for diabetes tests, too - at least 5 times in 30 yrs cus I know my own body and how its acting - they said every time, you're fine!! My GF F and uncle died of diabetes complications, it runs on dads side - I kept telling them to check for both kinds, nope, only give me the same one test over and over. Now, I just follow dads diet, eat 6 small meals thru the day and religiously stay away from sugars and hidden sugars and feel 100% better!)

I do think hypothyroid is an underdiagnosed issue and can make you feel just terrible. You have to beat a Dr over the head to check for certain things.

It is esp very depressing to be alone on holidays. I was/am alone alot. Hubs is now on the boat for a week. Try not to drug yourself with foods or anything else that may become addictive (meds, smokes, booze, shopping etc). Find a scent you love, that makes you crazy happy when you smell it. Lately I've been nuts for the new Old Spice deoderants. Open one and but it on a vent that is running, hot or cold, just to get the smell in the room. Wear it all over you! It's what makes you happy to smell!!! What matters is you and your mood - not the what will people think if I do THAT - thing.

If you like certain colors, go thru your stash and play with them. Start a small new project you can pick up when you want and you wont beat yourself up for not finishing. Try anything new you always wanted to do but were afraid to try - anything. Wear a color you love, but were told "looks bad on you!" What is your fav movie (NOT a sad one! a happy one!)Watch some of your fav funny/happy ending movies. Make a pot of homemade - loose popcorn in a real pot, pop it not the micor, put in your fav flavors, or try something new - I watch Arsenic and Old Lace and eat chili popcorn.

Get outside, mow the lawn, the smell is incredible, plant something, anything, go for a walk, get a little sunshine on you, 20 min in the sun can lift you. Ride a bike. Take a day and see what/how you eat then start a better way - even eating right can make your mood better. Smile at everyone. Go to the grocery and let people in line ahead of you, smile. Talk to strangers in line, smile. .Do not dwell on feeling depressed, do not talk to people about problems, do not talk in any way negative, dont watch any news shows any pointlessly violent programs. The brain is a wonderful machine, it will go where you program it. You can program w/ chemicals (meds) or you can program with chemicals already in your body - the thing with your body is you are in charge of it and you have to figure out what will program for you. Smells, smiles, foods, laughter, can help release the hormones, trigger brain changes to turn off the depression. Sad, angry, violent things, darkness, can make it trigger into depression.

The aloneness can be altered just by a PM to anyone on this board! We are all here and will be here if you are so down you just want to talk w/ someone. sharet
    This is great advice - thanks!

Also, just wanted to add, that often when I think I'm blue for no reason, it just means that I don't know why I'm feeling this way - and there could be a very good reason.

I think I have been every color of blue there is. Just always remember, And this to shall pass.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4