Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Do you have a brown lawn?

living in central TX is there any other color???

We have had enough thunderstorms along with our heat to not only keep ours mostly green, but growing, so we are still mowing. :(

Patti

a regular here
    It's kind of brown. Not much rain, no sprinkler system. It has been high 90's and 100's. Upside is not too much mowing which is great for me, since I really don't like to help with that but feel a little guilty when I don't. Go brown!

Ours is still very green, and getting mowed regularly. However, I have no garden. A trade off I guess.

We planted a new batch of grass this year after we installed a cement drive. The straw that we put down had cotton blight/ fungus spores. Been fighting it all summer. The 19 days over 90 isn't helping either.

I live in East Texas in a small town, Quitman. We are having a terrible droth here. Water is high so I'm not watering much if at all. My yard is definitely brown. and crunchy to walk on. I don't want to loose my hedges, azalia bushes, my dogwood tree. But I might if we don't start getting rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastexgal
    I live in East Texas in a small town, Quitman. We are having a terrible droth here. Water is high so I'm not watering much if at all. My yard is definitely brown. and crunchy to walk on. I don't want to loose my hedges, azalia bushes, my dogwood tree. But I might if we don't start getting rain.
    If you use a biodegradable dish soap, bath soap, etc., carry your used dishwater and bathwater out to water those plants. When I lived with a shallow well, that was the only way I kept some of my plants alive. Good luck!!

Patti

Quote Originally Posted by Pzazz
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastexgal
    If you use a biodegradable dish soap, bath soap, etc., carry your used dishwater and bathwater out to water those plants. When I lived with a shallow well, that was the only way I kept some of my plants alive. Good luck!!

Patti

Great tip! That's exactly what my DGM did with her water.
    They never forgot the horrible, seven year drought that Texas went through in the '50s but were probably always frugal from living on ranches in the Hill Country. A big bonus that I have heard about is that if you have aphids, throwing soapy dishwater on them is a good treatment (I think it is aphids, but don't quote me). I keep a dishpan in my kitchen sink and every drop of water that is collected during the day from handwashing or rinsing out dog water dishes, etc gets thrown out where needed at the end of the day. I don't wash any dishes in the nasty water, don't worry. By the way, it only takes a trickle of water to wash hands thoroughly--all of the important cleaning is in the soaping up and rubbing them together, and just takes a trickle to rinse. Learned that from DGM, too!

My yard is brown from dying grass. We are in a drought area and everyone is conserving waters.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5