Do you have a brown lawn?

Old 07-29-2011, 06:45 AM

We are having a drought as well, but the water table in the Florida Panhandle is high and we have a pump and sprinkler system so it's green.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:52 AM

Hi to all, I don't believe in watering the lawn when we don't have get rain for a while.
It has been hot has "H" here for about 4 weeks in a row.
If you have seen the news about N. ILL--we have had rain, rain, rain for about two weeks now.
I wish someone would come up with a idea to move rain water to drought states
Old 07-29-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110
It's a lovely, dry light blender shade of brown
ROFL!!! I love that! I myself have NO lawn, the Central Coast is considered to be a coastal desert and water is often a precious commodity here. When it's finished, my yard will be landscaped with shrubs, perennials, ornamental grasses, and rotating beds of annuals and vegetables
Old 07-29-2011, 07:16 AM

Out here on the coast, brown lawns in the summer are the norm. We only have two seasons...wet and dry. So the lawn/ meadows are green all during the winter and spring and brown in the summer and fall. Here is the up side...You cut the grass maybe twice...once if the season is very dry. No need to worry about it at all and if you have a goat no need to cut it ever. This is natures way for this place, so not a problem.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:27 AM

We are under water restrictions. We can water plants only 3 days a week. Lawns can only be watered if it is a new planting. Luckily it has rained a small amount in the last few days so my lawn has really greened up.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:30 AM

Thank you all for your prayers of rain. We are hoping that Don will pay us a visit here in Texas and replenish our dusty earth. At the moment we are in stage 2 water restrictions which means that according to your even or odd house number is your one day to water with sprinklers. Only outdoor watering by hand is being allowed. Here on the farm, we are trying to obey the city rules, but we had a large garden and have livestock to water.
In the 50's, the well went dry and my folks had to take a large tank on a trailer into town and fill it with water. We are hoping never to have to do that again. Here, the ranchers all have stock tanks for their livestock watering, but most of the tanks (ponds) have dried up. The last really good rain we had was last August when the tropical storm came through. Now even the cactus are starting to wither, the rabbits and possum are squeezing into the fenced yard for the dogs' water. We have to remind ourselves to put small dishes of water out and keep them filled for the critters these days. The large Hackberry trees that have been here for as long as I can remember are taking turns turning brown and dying. Yesterday, my husband and I spent the whole day in the heat chainsawing one that was near my greenhouse in anticipation of the coming storm which would have fallen upon it with the heavy winds. The last tropical storm that came through laid over two large trees and punctured our house. We didn't want that to happen again. I don't know if this gives any insight into how it is here, but it is starting to look like a desert.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by SugarCookie
Thank you all for your prayers of rain. We are hoping that Don will pay us a visit here in Texas and replenish our dusty earth. At the moment we are in stage 2 water restrictions which means that according to your even or odd house number is your one day to water with sprinklers. Only outdoor watering by hand is being allowed. Here on the farm, we are trying to obey the city rules, but we had a large garden and have livestock to water.
In the 50's, the well went dry and my folks had to take a large tank on a trailer into town and fill it with water. We are hoping never to have to do that again. Here, the ranchers all have stock tanks for their livestock watering, but most of the tanks (ponds) have dried up. The last really good rain we had was last August when the tropical storm came through. Now even the cactus are starting to wither, the rabbits and possum are squeezing into the fenced yard for the dogs' water. We have to remind ourselves to put small dishes of water out and keep them filled for the critters these days. The large Hackberry trees that have been here for as long as I can remember are taking turns turning brown and dying. Yesterday, my husband and I spent the whole day in the heat chainsawing one that was near my greenhouse in anticipation of the coming storm which would have fallen upon it with the heavy winds. The last tropical storm that came through laid over two large trees and punctured our house. We didn't want that to happen again. I don't know if this gives any insight into how it is here, but it is starting to look like a desert.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:43 AM

Deb, check my reply on page 5. I'm new and still haven't figured this all out.
Maybe you will understand how it is down here in Texas. The heat is driving everyone a little crazy.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110
It's a lovely, dry light blender shade of brown
Same here. My mother lives north of Dallas and keeps me informed as to how hot and dry it is there. I'll be so glad when this heat breaks :-(
Old 07-29-2011, 08:24 AM

I live in Eastern Oklahoma and the grass is brown. Now my shrubs are dying as water is so costly just water 2 lilac bushes, 2 azaleas and 4 blackberry bushes in buckets. Dust bowl just like the 30';s.