Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you head to a warmer place this time of year? >

Do you head to a warmer place this time of year?

Do you head to a warmer place this time of year?

Old 02-18-2014, 06:44 AM

Yah, in my bed with a nice cozy quilt! Watch tv or hand sew, listen to a good book. Actually, I love our winters. Makes us appreciate the spring, summer and fall that much more; besides which daylight savings time starts next month and the snow is starting to melt today. And I am having a deck built out front with two By the Yard rockers (Google it - I am getting 2 Days End rockers) to sit out in the spring and summer, wave to the neighbors and sew bindings. Oh, sheer Heaven. Edie
Old 02-18-2014, 07:25 AM

We live in Ohio, and my husband hates the winter weather. He's from south TX and just can't handle the snow. So we come to New Smyrna Beach Florida. It's about 15 min. south of Daytona Beach. A very small, old town. Reasonable rates. We are here for 3 months this year. I bring my machine and quilt while here.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:35 AM

I am a homebody, so I don't want to spend 3-4 months away. I love to travel and have been in many countries and most of the states, but I am always glad to get home to my four walls. Plus, I had both hip joints replaced last summer and needed recuperation time. In addition, I fell Jan. 20 and tore my rotator cuff, so I am scheduled for surgery for that Feb. 27. More recovery time - which I much prefer to be at home!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

NO, I don't since I live in Southern California.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
NO, I don't since I live in Southern California.
Me either! I live in South Florida.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:36 AM

I just head to my quilt room after I get off work.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:12 AM

Headed to SC permanently 7 years ago. I love it here, in Myrtle Beach. Summers are hot, but evenings cool down enough to enjoy some outdoors time. This year we had to go through an ice storm, but since we're retired, we just stayed home until it melted away - about 2 days. Most of the time the winter weather isn't bad; you can spend time outdoors and we've even turned the heat off for a few days.

We do still have our home in NJ. My sister rents it out and what we charge her pays the taxes - in NJ that's a very good deal. When we visit with family we stay in the house, but use the downstairs. It seems to work.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:53 PM

I'm enjoying our 80 degree weather today. You are welcome to come to AZ
Old 02-18-2014, 02:10 PM

We spend 6 months in CT and 6 months in Tucson. We enjoy the best times of both states: it's hard to beat Spring and Fall in CT, and we catch the end of Spring and the beginning of Fall. Late Fall in AZ was warm and gorgeous - best one in years. Winter in Tucson - we haven't had one this year! It's been in the 70s and 80s the whole winter! The cost of living in AZ is so much less than the East, and I enjoy being in a city for 6 months with fabric stores and quilting lessons within 10 minutes of my home. Great dealer when machine gets fussy. We leave AZ when the temp hits 90!
Old 02-18-2014, 02:22 PM

This is our first winter to be retired. With all the snow we have this year we have been enjoying the snow by snowmobiling. Once the snowmobile season ends, we will head to Florida for a bit. The one good thing about waiting until April to go, there won't be much cold weather left when we get back. It has been a long, cold, snowy winter.