Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you like the climate/weather where you live? >

Do you like the climate/weather where you live?

Do you like the climate/weather where you live?

Old 08-21-2011, 04:35 AM
Vat

Alabama is a really nice place to live. It is HOT (triple digets sometimes) , it is COLD (sometimes snow) , it is DRY (our pond is down about 3 feet right now) , it is WET and it is HUMID. And sometimes it is PERFECT ! ! ! If you don't like the weather in Alabama, stick around a while and it will change. But have been here all my life and can't imagine being anywhere else.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by genafan201
I'm originally from Florida, living now in Minnesota, and I can honestly say...I DO NOT LIKE IT...

Like Jim above, I hate winter (which is about 8 months up here), and when summer finally gets here, the bugs come out...we have mosquitos and these biting gnats here, and believe it or not, growing up in Florida with summers spent in southern Alabama, I never knew gnats would bite till we moved here.

If someone told me I had to choose between two places to live, it would be Hawaii (for obvious reasons), or central Tennessee...I really like that area.
Bite your tongue!!!!!! We are known world wide for our Mosquitos. They are the size of an SST. Sound the same, also. We also have big black flies that bite the hell out of you. We have the most beautiful Monarch butterflies and around this time of year, the wasps come out - go to the Minnesota State Fair. You will learn about our wasps that cling around the trash cans. They hurt! The sound of the Cicadas this time of the year is like a mourning song, ending the summer and preparing for winter. It is a beautiful sound. The sunrises and sunsets are so pretty. Except when we are getting ready for a good old fashioned gully-washer. Then the skies are green! Minnesota is the greatest state of all. It is probably the cleanest state in the union, relatively no air pollution, the people are helpful, most are kind and giving. We have skiing, snowboarding, ice fishing, the Winter Carnival in St. Paul and summer Aquatennial in Minneapolis (we live on the east side of the river) so there is a little friendly jealousy going on back and forth. Actually, I don't like Minneapolis, there streets are alphabetical. Our streets are named after Universities, Hamline, Wellesley, Stanford, famous scientists like Pascal, streets named after the contractor of a new addition's granddaughter like Melodie Lane or something that will go down for generations "My great grandpa named this street after me". That's St. Paul. We have great fishing here, Lake Mille Lacs, where the best Walleye in the world is caught. We have Minnesota Nice and that is great. Except for thems that don't like your driving 45 miles per hour in a 45 mph speed zone - should really be going about 65 or 70. That, we call keeping up with traffic. Gotta do that - Can't call it 25 mph over the speed limit. We have the greatest neighbors in the world. We are always there to help whenever necessary or for whatever, no questions asked. Anyone say to you "Could you do me a favor?" We never say "What", we always say "Sure". We have lived in our neighborhood for the 51 years we have been married, never thought of moving out of the neighborhood. Good grief, we share everything. Except our spouses, but then our spouses are so great, who would want to. Then they could never be neighbors or friends!!!!!!!

I will also admit one more thing. We are surrounded by super neighbors, well almost surrounded, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and Wisconsin. Basically, they are like we are. It is a joy to visit their states for vacations which actually we do. What would surround our state then would be Canada and they serve McDonald French Fries with vinegar. We use catsup, and lots of it.

We have other sports in Minnesota - We have the Vikings, the Twins, the Wild and the Timberwolves. We have iceskating rinks and warming houses. We have snow shoveling in the winter and lawnmowing in the summer. I have learned that if you mow your own yard, you can walk close to a mile, which is 2,000 steps which equals 100 calories and that is good for an ice cream cone. We have Grand Old Days, we have the Marathon in October that is probably the most beautiful marathon in the whole United States. We have the Science Museum, the Museum of Natural History, we have a Railroad Roundhouse museum ("Head for the roundhouse, Nellie. He can't corner you there!"). We have the Mississippi River and most important, the headwaters of the Mississippi. We are the home of 3M.

One more thing, what I love the most about St. Paul is that they roll up the rugs and turn off the lights around 9:00 PM and are up again around 5:00 AM. That's my Minnesota!!!!! Edie
Old 08-21-2011, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cyn
North Carolina has it all and it's not hard to get from one end to the next :)
ditto
my folks live in the Asheville area and absolutely love it. it has lots to do, and lots for seniors. they are not wealthy and find the housing to be very affordable. if i didn't have my DGKs here in MN, i'd move to NC.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:09 AM

Nebraska is good. It does get hot in July and cold in January, but all in all, once your retired it doesn't matter, you can stay in during the heat of the afternoons and stay in when its cold.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:15 AM

I like Texas most of the time...but this summer has been
horrible...hot, hot and more hot...no rain. Please send rain.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

On the eastern side of Washington, we enjoy all the seasons. No humidity, just beautiful!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:24 AM

This year has been horrendous - but so has every place across the country. I said originally that this was the BEST weather of any place I had lived. The bad part was the HOT HOT, HUMID HUMID in July and August only....not so much this year. It got HOT after winter (no spring)and am wondering about our winter this year.
In winter we have had mostly "dustings" of snow--maybe a foot once every 7 years which melts off within 4 days. I long for the weather that we have moved FROM - outside the Fresno CA area - it was hot but not humid...here we are "connected to...what...5 states? nice for traveling that doesn't take forever.
It's "different strokes for different folks" I would recommend to take a year and explore to get the feel first hand. No one should tell you what to like. Good Luck
Old 08-21-2011, 05:27 AM
QKO

We live on the other side of the Sierras from you, in western Nevada. We have 4 seasons that come and go when they are supposed to. We do have winter, and occasionally we have snow in the valley here, but it mostly melts by noon, or at most within a few days. The summers are warm and dry, it gets up to 90F for a few weeks in the summer most days, but rarely gets over 100F, usually only a few days a year. It cools off each evening so AC isn't needed at night. Also, it's very dry so we don't have the humidity problems, or the bugs that we did in MN.

There is a reason that the valley is largely occupied by ex-Californians. We're ex-Minnesotans -- we like the climate a lot -- it doesn't have the extremes that Minnesota did.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Cyn
North Carolina has it all and it's not hard to get from one end to the next :)
I live in coastal SC, but have taken vacations in NC. I love where I am because of the ocean being close, BUT, I must say, the weather in NC is grand, the people are very nice, you can live in the country, or a small town, but get to a city if you like. If you like the outdoors the hills/mts are just covered in trees. There are just a wonderful lot of things to do, and you can take w/e trips all over the SE from a central location.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:36 AM

i think this past year has been one of the worst for cold and hot here in Michigan. i hate the cold..it makes my Fibro rear its ugly head, and i suffer in the winters..
i love the south..the people are so friendly.a different way of life..slower paced i think.
Michigan is beautiful...more lakes than any other state, the fall colors are my favorite.
if i could find a place that just had spring and fall..i would be there!