Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you like using gift bags for presents? >

Do you like using gift bags for presents?

Do you like using gift bags for presents?

Old 12-11-2015, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

I like them, they are convient. Especially when things are hard to wrap.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:23 PM

I love to wrap gifts, in fact. To earn extra money throughout college, I hired myself out to wrap gifts at Christmas time. I had so much fun, and found the odder the shaped gift the more fun I had wrapping it. I loved adding bows, etc. Continue to do it to this day. I have mom's with small kids drop off their gifts, paper, boxes and name tags, and I do the rest. Then they come by a day or two before Christmas and pick them up, so the kids find no gifts around the house. I even have a special way I write the name of the kids and from Santa, so the hand writing looks different than if they get a gift from mom and dad, and the wrapping paper is always different.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:33 PM

We only use gift bags if there is no time to wrap, since I love to wrap gifts even more than I like opening them. It always reminds me of Christmas at Grandma Helen's (the best Christmases of my life).

My family has a tradition of one box under the tree is wrapped especially nice, ribbons, bows, foofoo, etc. that gift is never given a label. It is part of our Christmas season to guess who it is for, what it might be, "I hope it is....", "I hope it is mine", etc. Christmas morning, it is the last gift under the tree, and only after all other gifts are opened and oooed and ahhhhed over, only then is the secret told, and the lucky recipient gets to open it after everyone has a last guess at what it is. Yes, you may take our tradition and adapt it to your own celebration. Merry Christmas all!
Old 12-12-2015, 03:38 AM

Gift bags can be very economical and good for our environment because they can be used over and over.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:12 AM

I have to wrap... and actually enjoy it. I even go all the way to putting ribbon and bows on each package (not the premade bow from a bag of bows)

I think it is far more fun to analyze the wrapped packages and to be able to "rip" off the pretty paper. I must have fond memories of Christmas from childhood.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:49 AM

You betcha I use em! I also do the traditional wrapping. My dil's mom makes fabric bags of all size, and then ties them shut with fluffy pipe cleaners. They can be reused from year to year.,great to do when Christmas fabric is way on sale.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I'm not opposed to gift bags but at guild at our gift exchange every gift was in a gift bag except mine. I had mine in a very pretty gift box, the kind that is wrapped but you open without tearing the paper. All the others looked the same, pretty bag with tissue sticking out the top. Most all the same size too. My box was chosen first. I watched the others choose but really they didn't ponder, just walked up and grabbed the nearest bag. I remember when all the gifts were wrapped in boxes and everyone spent some time choosing which box they wanted. Never under estimate the gift box. It really enhances even the most humble gift.
I make fabric bags that can be reused. I add outside pockets and sometimes inner zipper pockets.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:06 AM

I use gift bags for anything awkward to wrap, including shirts, anything fabric,etc... ( I have so many to shop for and it would be a hardship to find boxes for everything) Anything square or rectangular/easy to wrap gets the wrapping paper.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:27 AM

I love gift wrapping, but I admit that I do use a lot of bags. Using so much tissue bothers me sometimes so I try to recycle as much as I can. Our family uses a lot of bags AND WE HOLD ONTO THEM AND REUSE. It isn't unusual to see a birthday gift in a Christmas or Mother's Day bag. We all understand each other. It's become a family tradition and we try to remember who gifted in that bag.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

This is just a quick tip for those who may not have thought about it. Did you ever have the right size box for a certain gift but had writing all over and you needed the box to mail or just wrap. You can reuse the box by carefully sliding a letter opener or knife to undo the flaps and folds. Flip and reverse and refold and tape what ever works to hold it together. I often use strong mailing tape. You can also staple in some cases. If you glue, you may want to clamp/hold it together til dry. Gorilla glue and E6000 needs to dry over night. I save certain size boxes like the Priority Mail you may have received.