Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you still have hummingbirds?

We have had more hummers this summer then we have ever had before. Six feeders out and everyone of them were filled with hummers most of the time. I had to bring them in at dark each night to keep the raccoons from drinking the sugar water, and when I would bring them out in the morning the hummers would be on them before I could get them hung up. However, I have not seen a hummer for three days now so I brought the feeders in, washed them and packed them away for the winter.

Blog Entries
    I saw one earlier this week. We hadn't seen many all summer.

I only saw one this summer. We had a really cold summer though. Next year I am planting bee balm, which has red flowers that attracts them...

And you are further north then I am.

Blog Entries
    Ours left several weeks ago. This year they were fond of the lilies. It's cute to se a little hummer fly out of huge Stargazer Lily. The also developed a taste for tomatoes once they started ripening. That's a first.

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    Bobbie I saw one yesterday..I still have one feeder up. I need to go take it down..it's suppose to be down to 25* here tonight. I have heard that if you don't take the feeders away they won't leave and then the poor little things will freeze. I enjoy seeing them..crafty_linda_b sittin' & quiltin' on the Cal-Ore border

We're in the Kansas City area and I haven't noticed ours for about a week now.

havent' seen any for a week now. DH said he is taking the feeders down in a day or two. During the summer we have lots of hummingbirds! Love their little motors! They are a favorite bird of ours. We have woodpeckers, and orioles, and blue buntings. Even had a bald eagle and a pileated woodpecker, but not for awhile.

Blog Entries
    They are still here....however the temps are in the high 80's

I had very few, and they have been gone for a month. It snowed here yesterday and today.

Blog Entries
    I think mine are gone, also. Haven't seen them all week but I'm leaving the feeder up til it gets colder-just in case!

Ours are gone. Took my feeders down.

I saw 2 hummers very briefly pass through my yard last week. In the 20 years I've lived here, it was only the 2nd time I've seen a hummingbird.

Nope, think they're gone for the season

ours are gone for the season. They say to leave them out an extra two weeks after you have seen the last one. a few transients stop by on their way through.

Yes, still have them around.

Still have them here also. They really love our hanging fushia's.

Blog Entries
    Ours have been gone for a week - we have had 4 feeders up and filled them up almost every day for the past month or so. Seems that the hummers were a little slow/late in coming this year - but when they did - WOW - we would go outside with a newly filled feeder and just hold it up and we would be swarmed with birds eating basically from our hands. One hummer sat on my thumb while I was holding the feeder - so neat!!!!! We are in southern MO>

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
    Bobbie I saw one yesterday..I still have one feeder up. I need to go take it down..it's suppose to be down to 25* here tonight. I have heard that if you don't take the feeders away they won't leave and then the poor little things will freeze. I enjoy seeing them..crafty_linda_b sittin' & quiltin' on the Cal-Ore border
    Oh i didn't know that about not taking them down..mine is still out because I spotted my lil just a few days ago but our temps have been really wacky.

Ours are gone too, just realized last weekend they were gone. I think they left at night, them and some birds fly at night to stay away from predators.
    Leaving the feeders out will not keep them here, there or anywhere. Instinct tells them when to leave, the shorter days is one reason they leave. I usually have them around until the 10th of October.

Quote Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
    Leaving feeders up will not cause them to stay, instinct tells them when to leave. Google them and see what you find.

I haven't seen any for more than two weeks now, so I took the feeder down today. We had more this year than the last several years. I enjoy watching them so much and it's always a little sad to take the feeder down and put it away for the winter.

I live in Eastern Ky and I am still seeing one or two around.

Vat
    I haven't seen one in about a week now but am going to leave their feeder out several more days. Didn't have but three (3) all summer. Saw them really early, in March and thought we would have lots but didn't. I had thought it might have been the storms in April? Maybe we'll have more next year.

I brought mine in yest. they have all gone south :(

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast