Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anybody here do Contra dancing? >

Does anybody here do Contra dancing?

Does anybody here do Contra dancing?

Old 07-16-2014, 05:26 AM

It can start out "sedate" but once everyone has the moves memorized and the band sometimes "kicks it up a notch", it can start to get rather "energetic"---especially when we have a lot of younger generation in the set. They love to do the swings really hard and fast!
Old 07-16-2014, 05:41 AM

Yes, I am a contra dancer. I love it. the learning curve is short and no matter where you go, the same 10 - 12 figures are done just in different combinations. Great exercise, great fun and since I am a single it is wonderful that you do not need to bring a partner. The community of contra dances across the US, and internationally too I understand, is warm and welcoming. There is not pressure for perfection just having a good time with other dancers. I also like the family atmosphere. At my first contra dance I had and 8 year old as a partner for one dance and later I had a great-grandfather as a partner. All are welcome. I have danced beyond my home state of Michigan. Just about any city or region of a state you go to, you can find contra dancing. Contact the organization that is 45 minutes away and see if they can "hook you up" with someone from your area who is also interested. Sometimes you will also find smaller groups of 25 or 30 that meet closer. Do give it a try!
Old 08-27-2014, 07:54 AM

I'm a former square dancer, and always wanted to do contra dancing. I was lucky to get my husband to square dance, and he actually enjoyed it. He'll readily agree to it, but did not want to do contra. My husband just had a total knee replacement, and judging by the slow progress he's experiencing, I don't see a return to dancing in our near future. But it is LOTS of fun, AND a great source of exercise!!!!! I HIGHLY recommend you to sign up for classes----with or without your partner. There's ALWAYS someone looking for a dance partner.