Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Does anybody here do Contra dancing?

Does anybody here do Contra dancing?

I hadn't heard of this before this weekend. I looked it up on you tube and it sure looks like fun. Only problem is the closest place to me that has it is 45 minutes away....and my DH/partner isn't that interested. But, it looks like a good time!!!
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

I did! YEARS ago! Loved it. Fast paced. Kind of square dancing with a twist. If your DH is not a dancer, he wont like it but i really enjoyed it. Not sure that I am up to speed to do it again. Go without him. My best friend and I used to go by ourselves and had a blast. Everyone dances with everyone.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I used to contra dance and it is great fun. The town where I now live has dance classes every Tuesday evening and big community dances every two weeks on Sat. It's a more sedate style of dancing and yes, everyone dances with everyone else.

I've never done it but I love to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    I did! YEARS ago! Loved it. Fast paced. Kind of square dancing with a twist. If your DH is not a dancer, he wont like it but i really enjoyed it. Not sure that I am up to speed to do it again. Go without him. My best friend and I used to go by ourselves and had a blast. Everyone dances with everyone.

sandy
    The only resemblance to square dancing is: you move to the calls given by a cuer. Round dancing does that, too. Line dancers do that for a while, but soon have the moves to each song memorized, and they are repeated each few measures. It's all fun and good exercise.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Love it, never heard of it before but just been watching on You Tube and think it's great, bet no one does here in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    The only resemblance to square dancing is: you move to the calls given by a cuer. Round dancing does that, too. Line dancers do that for a while, but soon have the moves to each song memorized, and they are repeated each few measures. It's all fun and good exercise.

Well, been 30 years since I contra danced. Nothing "sedate" about it either.
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    It's a very fast paced dance and oh so much fun. Easier to learn than square dance. We used to go but no place close enough any more. My husband didn't like it as much as I did. Go with a friend if you can. I love contra dancing.

Blog Entries
    Just noticed your location and this site lists Victorian dances and English Country Dances - maybe sometimes they have contra. Perhaps some of these places are close to you. http://www.walternelson.com/dr/event/

I'm afraid to try it ....may throw my hip out!!
    Hope you get to go and enjoy it though!
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

It can start out "sedate" but once everyone has the moves memorized and the band sometimes "kicks it up a notch", it can start to get rather "energetic"---especially when we have a lot of younger generation in the set. They love to do the swings really hard and fast!

Yes, I am a contra dancer. I love it. the learning curve is short and no matter where you go, the same 10 - 12 figures are done just in different combinations. Great exercise, great fun and since I am a single it is wonderful that you do not need to bring a partner. The community of contra dances across the US, and internationally too I understand, is warm and welcoming. There is not pressure for perfection just having a good time with other dancers. I also like the family atmosphere. At my first contra dance I had and 8 year old as a partner for one dance and later I had a great-grandfather as a partner. All are welcome. I have danced beyond my home state of Michigan. Just about any city or region of a state you go to, you can find contra dancing. Contact the organization that is 45 minutes away and see if they can "hook you up" with someone from your area who is also interested. Sometimes you will also find smaller groups of 25 or 30 that meet closer. Do give it a try!

I'm a former square dancer, and always wanted to do contra dancing. I was lucky to get my husband to square dance, and he actually enjoyed it. He'll readily agree to it, but did not want to do contra. My husband just had a total knee replacement, and judging by the slow progress he's experiencing, I don't see a return to dancing in our near future. But it is LOTS of fun, AND a great source of exercise!!!!! I HIGHLY recommend you to sign up for classes----with or without your partner. There's ALWAYS someone looking for a dance partner.
    Use your smile to change the world, but don't let the world change your smile.