Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone live in Wyoming?

Does anyone live in Wyoming?

My DH and I are thinking about WY as a place to retire. Does anyone live there or know anything about it?
    We are looking for a state w/o state income tax.
    If so, what are the winters like? Does it stay nice in the summer?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated. It's tough to find anything out from long distance.
    SVAL

I don't live there, but my brother does. Summers are beautiful, winters can be challenging. It depends on what part of the state you live in.

Thanks Nammie: By challenging, do you mean lots of snow? Is there any part of the state that doesn't get the average I'm seeing of 4'?
    Our daughter lives in CO. So would be fairly close. She lived in Cheyenne for a winter. It seemed like it was snowing half the year. And the wind. Oh my.

Personally, seeing that you currently live in NC, I would say that the weather in WY would be a shock to your system. LOL Here's a couple of sites that may help you decide if the weather would be to your liking:

http://www.currentresults.com/Weathe...l-snowfall.php

http://www.wrds.uwyo.edu/sco/climate...mperature.html

Blog Entries
    i don't know about the whole state but where my brother lives, the grocery and gas prices are really high.
    even in years when they don't get the usual amount of snow, winters are bitter cold.
    summer can be pleasant. they are sometimes as hot as here, in the south.

it is a beautiful state, though, with a wide variety of scenery types; lots of wide open spaces.
    also, often looooooong drives between populated areas.

again ... a beautiful state ... but not an ideal place to live if you are at all "delicate". LOL
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Blog Entries
    From what I have seen of Wyoming, I would choose an urban area oriented to retirement. I would look for a house sheltered from wind (you want lots of evergreens nearby to shield your home from wind) and, for me at least, rural areas would be the pits. Found these websites with a little info:
    http://www.topretirements.com/state/wyoming.html
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ret...-1336965445977
    http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...ot-sure-2.html
    http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/05/reti...rement-states/

Blog Entries
    Tennessee has no state income tax.

Blog Entries
    I live in Wyoming and have most of my life we are close to the Montana burder and we love Wyoming but we are going to move 70 miles north so we can be closer to our family medical and shopping but we live in a nice quiet little town and in Wyoming you do travel to where ever you go I enjoy the winters but some people does not and depends on what area as to amount of snowfall but I cannot stand the heat either and our summers cannot compare to the east as we have no humidity I would suggest you visit here or try renting a place for a year and trying it but it is totaly different than where you live but of course I only was there for a short visit if you have any questions you may PM me and we could exchange emai addresses

I used yo live in Wy and still have family there and love it. I lived in southwest Wyoming and decided that I am not tough enough to live there. If you enjoy wide open spaces, long drives and winter sports, and are not bothered by wind and cold it is a wonderful place to live. Winter driving is a different challenge than the south. Snow plows and snow melting chemicals are ineffective because the wind blows the snow back across the road behind the plow and it stays to cold for chemicals to melt the snow. I still love the summers there.

A very good friend of mine lived in Caspar, WY. Her biggest complaint was "wind". Said she will never, never miss that. She now lives in Cauldwell, ID.

My husband and I just retired to Gillette Wyoming last September from Michigan. We love it here. The drier climate is wonderful for us. Neither one of us like the heat and are looking forward to a cooler summer. The wind is almost always blowing. Our winter here was not nearly as bad as what Michigan had this year. We had less snow and the school had only 2 snow days. The amount of snow really depends on where you are in Wyoming. The housing costs here are higher compared to what we had in Michigan. We are still living in an apartment and are thinking about moving to Casper....a bigger town and a more stable economy not so dependent on coal that Gillette is. Gillette is a lower elevation which is why we chose here first.

Blog Entries
    We just sold our home in the Idaho wilderness area and moving to property we own in the NE part of Wyoming. They do have snow in the winter but beautiful summers. I LOVE LOVE it there. We have 41 acres there covered in Ponderosa Pines. Less windy there than here in the mountains. Yes you have to drive to the bigger towns but I love the isolation. I have my mountain feeling, yet can look out over the prairie and see for miles and miles. We live 3000 feet lower so I can have a garden, chickens and not fear the wolves will come in and kill my animals. We have had the property for 7 years now and love it now as much as I did when we bought it. My best advise would be to travel ALL around Wy. and look at the many different places. I LOVE WYOMING.

Blog Entries
    We lived in Casper for a year. I worked then and the Co. would have to come and get me in a jeep. Our neighbor would clean our driveway off when it snowed with a snowplow.ha. They had golf games there and every month of the year it snowed. Now if your husband loves the outdoors, this is the place. The skys are clear and beautiful. You would have to be tough to be out though. We would go up to the mountain and cook our supper out.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Texas does not have a state income tax. Our winters don't really get that cold. It is rare to get below freezing in any part of the state and if it does, it doesn't last long. Lots to do in Texas!

I have Wyoming roots and we lived in Cheyenne for a number of years. We loved it and I would have gone back in a instant if I had had the opportunity. Weather is sometimes a challenge. I love snow and cool weather and would never choose anywhere it is hot. In our career we lived all over the country and the weather in all of these other places had challenges also-some of which I would rather not be in. Wyoming people are wonderful and open to newcomers. Medical care is good and linked to big hospital information and care. Two years ago we were traveling through and stopped at Lander in a campground (traveling by RV). My husband had a stroke before getting set up. A nearby camper jumped into action and took us to the hospital, came back to get me when my husband was admitted. When I got back to the campground the camper and the owner of the campground had set up our rig, unhitched our truck, and saw to my every need. The hospital had connection to Casper. We thought we had great resources. Yeah, I love Wyoming! We now live in Colorado and love the climate, snow, longer winter, cool summers and beautiful mountains.

Blog Entries
    I am another who has lived in Montana and Wyoming all my life and I truly love Wyoming could not or would not consider anyplace else

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghquilter53 View Post
    My husband and I just retired to Gillette Wyoming last September from Michigan. We love it here. The drier climate is wonderful for us. Neither one of us like the heat and are looking forward to a cooler summer. The wind is almost always blowing. Our winter here was not nearly as bad as what Michigan had this year. We had less snow and the school had only 2 snow days. The amount of snow really depends on where you are in Wyoming. The housing costs here are higher compared to what we had in Michigan. We are still living in an apartment and are thinking about moving to Casper....a bigger town and a more stable economy not so dependent on coal that Gillette is. Gillette is a lower elevation which is why we chose here first.
    Our place is between Sun Dance and Upton. Love it there. Property at the time we bought it was extremely low compared to Idaho. Love living with no close neighbors.

Blog Entries
    This is really a very funny question So far the count as I see it is eight.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I've lived in Montana(born there)and Wyoming. Now live in Northern NV (Reno). Love it here, still get a taste of the 4 seasons, but no long winters, dry climate, tons to do, Lake Tahoe is close, good medical care, a great quilting guild, several quilt stores with loads of classes and lots of help, lots of events year round, several theaters, (lots of plays), chamber and philharmonic orchestras, University and community colleges, lots of programs for seniors. (Sounds like a travel brochure.) After I got my degree, DH found great job in Denver, couldn't wait to get back to Reno and retired here.

OOPS, Forgot most important thing of all--no state income tax in NV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    Texas does not have a state income tax. Our winters don't really get that cold. It is rare to get below freezing in any part of the state and if it does, it doesn't last long. Lots to do in Texas!
    Correction.....I am in the Texas panhandle, and it does get below freezing here! Usually nice, but windy. I love it though. I'm a farm girl and love the open spaces but have towns within 30 minute drive and bigger towns almost 2 hours away on open road.

Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    This is really a very funny question So far the count as I see it is eight.
    peace
    Ha. It is funny. Thanks for a good laugh.

Washington does not have a state income tax and if you live close enough to Oregon you can take advantage of the lack of sales tax here. It does rain in the western parts of both states, but not so much in the eastern parts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kuntryquilter View Post
    Tennessee has no state income tax.
    Neither does TX
    Friends are the most important ingredient in the recipe of life.

Blog Entries
    My husband's BIL moved from Wyoming to Tennessee because he got mad about taxes or politics. Now his poor Scots wife is even more alone. I only know Worland area a bit (N/W part of the State) Good luck in finding a place to call home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast