Dog beds

Old 01-09-2010, 09:19 AM

Have you ever taken Winchesters ears in your hands and held them to your cheeks? I used to do this at the shelter with the long eared dogs. It gave them some lovin and me too. Their ears are soooo soft. He's a cutie.

He will probably eat the bed. You may have to wait until he is more trained in that area before making him one. However, canvas and double stitched should work for awhile. Kudos for the crate training. Our pup (now 4 yrs.) got to the point that he would just go in and stay for the night without us even shutting the door.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:05 PM

I guess you can tell from my avatar that I have a wonderful Bassett, too, named Arlo. I'm so sorry that you lost your other "baby". I know how hard that is. I'm sure Winchester will help fill the hole in your heart like Arlo did mine.

Arlo has two beds, one that's in the living room where he keeps his toys, chewies and bones , and one in our bedroom where he sleeps. He's a great snuggler and loves tummy rubs.

I have no suggestions for fabric, but I couldn't resist saying hello and welcome to Winchester. :D
Old 01-09-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Linsoblu
He's just to cute. I'll be glad to hear what others say to use as I would like to make some too! I like to find a pattern for one that is like a sleeping bag as one of my Dachshunds likes get inside the fleece cover I made for him. He's got into my pant leg a few times if they get left on the floor and when I have to help him get out.:)

LOL That is way too funny. I also have a long hair mini Doxie. He absolutely loves being under his "blankie" even if it isn't his. They are sooo funny. We also have 2 poms and one chews even tho he is 4 yo. I am sorry about the loss of your fur baby. I don't have any suggestions but am sure someone will help. Hugs to you and your new fur baby. :D
Old 01-09-2010, 02:27 PM

love your puppy!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 02:37 PM

I love the idea of the paint tarp fabric...as far as stuffing goes, I happen to save all my trims of fabrics, pieces too small to use for anything, selveges, squaring up pieces when cutting strips..etc. in a HUGE plastic bag on the floor near my cutting table. When I have enough of these, I use it as stuffing for pet pillows...works great, fully washable & dryable and the workers at the Pet Shelters love 'em for the dogs who are awaiting adoption.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:39 PM

He is soooo cute.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:38 AM

Thanks for all the cute comments...Winchester really loved hearing them, lol.

Thanks for all the great tips for bed. I'm going to wait to see if he outgrows the chewing. He still also has accidents if he goes long periods of time without going out, like when we're not home, so I think I'm better off waiting. I'm going to wait until he's full grown so I can make it the right size. I'll make it fully washable too.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 01-10-2010, 05:45 AM

something made out of tires :D or perhaps chain link? teething is a marvelous stage. With luck it will pass. Give him something so big he cant chew it to death like one of those rawhides meant for mastiffs.. keep him busy for hours and off chewing what he shouldnt. I babysat a little whippet puppy the other day and it nibbled on cardboard, a book, my sofa skirt.. I had to continually offer him a better suggestion. Finally he fell asleep. Phew!
Old 01-10-2010, 06:00 AM

He's got a couple small stuffed toys that my 19 month old gave to him, plus lots of raw hide. He's pretty good about not chewing his bed, but he likes to dig and when he plays with his toys he's get a little crazy and thats usually when the bedding gets bit or chewed. I like the idea of hanging a toy from the top of the crate though, I think I'm going to do that.

He's lost all his puppy teeth, that I know of...about a month ago we were finding baby teeth all over her bedding...so I'm assuming the adult teeth are well on their way.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:08 AM

Make him a bed out of used jeans---maybe a rag quilt. That would exercise his jaws and take a lot of effort to destroy.

He is a cutie---enjoy him---