Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dog beds

Some of you may remember me coming here to tell you about our black german shephard, Serena, who at the time was having severe skin problems and a list of others. Well, we had to put her down at the end of July due to uterine cancer which came on very quickly and took her quality of life just as quickly.

Well, in September, we got a new member to the family, Winchester, who is now a 6 month old Basset Hound. I'd like to make him a bed for his crate (he is crate trained) but he chews everything up and would destroy it if I didn't make it right. What would make a good sturdy quilt for him, any ideas?

Winchester
    Name:  Attachment-63945.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  50.3 KB

He sure is a cutie!! Maybe a thick denim or something?

He was small then, that was a few months ago. I have a very hard time getting pictures of him because he won't sit still!!

He's so cute!! Look at his ears!! :) What a sweetie he is!! :)

Sorry can't offer any suggestions, but I love your puppy! :)

I would buy a canvas paint tarp, they're pretty inexpensive at Home Depot, etc... wash and dry it they soften up nicely, and they're a nice neutral color, like oatmeal. I did that for curtains in my living room with some embelishments, people loved them. With a zipper, or velcro closure... for that matter, you could even forget the hardware, and make it like a big pillow sham, you know the two sides overlap in the back?.. if he tears it up, so what, you could make another. You can buy an insert for it, or foam, or stuff it with straw.

oh he is just too cute!

OMG he is too cute. We had a Dalmatian that ate everything--I could have made his quilt out of stainless steel and he'd chew it up!! The canvas paint tarp VJ suggested would work really well and would be inexpensive to replace.
    Good luck-show us more pictures!!

Blog Entries
    So sweet! Sos sorry about the loss of your other furbaby

How about (I think it is called duckcloth?) I have some of it in a neutral color I would be more than willing to send to you if you are interested. It is a very touch material when you pull on it-not sure how it would wash but...
    He is adorable! And I am very sorry for the loss of Serena. It is never easy to loose a pet.
    Hugs
    April

tough material that should read! LoL
    Hugs
    April

My sheltie was a chewer too... he destroyed everything that went in the crate with him... then I used velcro.\

I put velcro strips (adhesive type) on the crate floor close to the edge. Made a thin pad the exact size as the floor of the crate and attached the velcro to it. As clever as he is, he couldn't get a grip on the pad or the edges. I made sure he had other things to distract him in the crate and after a few tries he moved on...

He is adorable! Used to have Bassets. No suggestions about bedding, but the painter's cloth sounds like a good idea.

At that age, he'll chew whatever he can get. A scruffy old blanket for now, and lots of chew toys until all his big dog teeth are in would be my suggestion.

Blog Entries
    maybe hang a chew toy up in his crate? It would be a little more of a challenge for him and he might leave his bedding alone?

I would go with whatever was cheap to replace until he grows out of chewing everything.

Definitely agree with amma about hanging up something to occupy him - a nice big raw hide chew.

I made a large piece for the floor, for my wire fox terriers to play on. I used the fabric that sweats are made of, I can't think of the name of it right now, but it is great, and so easy to wash and keep clean. It doesn't crawl on the carpet either when they play. Wft's eat everything.....and they have not bothered this material.
    I also, made for one of their beds, a case, made from the cotton muslin, for the stuffing for the bed. It is east to remove and wash now..it's like a big pillow case, but all ends are sewn closed. Hope this helps.

we recently "inherited" a miniature dachsaund who was not potty trained. I finally got her a crate and she ate and messed all the bedding I put in there. Now I put an old, fresh, clean bath towel in there and I don't have to worry if it gets messed up. (she loves it)

He's just to cute. I'll be glad to hear what others say to use as I would like to make some too! I like to find a pattern for one that is like a sleeping bag as one of my Dachshunds likes get inside the fleece cover I made for him. He's got into my pant leg a few times if they get left on the floor and when I have to help him get out.:)

He's just to cute. I'll be glad to hear what others say to use as I would like to make some too! I like to find a pattern for one that is like a sleeping bag as one of my Dachshunds likes get inside the fleece cover I made for him. He's got into my pant leg a few times if they get left on the floor and when I have to help him get out.:)

He is adorable!!! I love Basset Hounds! They are so cute looking and the long ears just adds to it! :) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have you ever taken Winchesters ears in your hands and held them to your cheeks? I used to do this at the shelter with the long eared dogs. It gave them some lovin and me too. Their ears are soooo soft. He's a cutie.

He will probably eat the bed. You may have to wait until he is more trained in that area before making him one. However, canvas and double stitched should work for awhile. Kudos for the crate training. Our pup (now 4 yrs.) got to the point that he would just go in and stay for the night without us even shutting the door.

I guess you can tell from my avatar that I have a wonderful Bassett, too, named Arlo. I'm so sorry that you lost your other "baby". I know how hard that is. I'm sure Winchester will help fill the hole in your heart like Arlo did mine.

Arlo has two beds, one that's in the living room where he keeps his toys, chewies and bones , and one in our bedroom where he sleeps. He's a great snuggler and loves tummy rubs.

I have no suggestions for fabric, but I couldn't resist saying hello and welcome to Winchester. :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linsoblu

LOL That is way too funny. I also have a long hair mini Doxie. He absolutely loves being under his "blankie" even if it isn't his. They are sooo funny. We also have 2 poms and one chews even tho he is 4 yo. I am sorry about the loss of your fur baby. I don't have any suggestions but am sure someone will help. Hugs to you and your new fur baby. :D

love your puppy!!!

I love the idea of the paint tarp fabric...as far as stuffing goes, I happen to save all my trims of fabrics, pieces too small to use for anything, selveges, squaring up pieces when cutting strips..etc. in a HUGE plastic bag on the floor near my cutting table. When I have enough of these, I use it as stuffing for pet pillows...works great, fully washable & dryable and the workers at the Pet Shelters love 'em for the dogs who are awaiting adoption.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast