dogs...which one did it!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:10 AM

I have two stories about Gus ( the schnauzer) and my quilting. When he was a puppy he loved threads that I had been using... oils from my hands maybe... and once he grabbed a thread that had a needle attached. About three days later he got really sick, straining and shivering. Vet visit revealed the needle about two inches away from coming out... $800.00, four days and a major surgery later he came home.

Fast forward 9 years...

This winter I spilled some pepsi in the sewing room and grabbed some scraps of batting to wipe it up. Tossed the scraps in the garbage and thought no more about it. Yep you guessed it. `Plimmed him up`like a cork in a wine bottle! Four cans of pumpkin later we got him to pass the offending pieces.

In our family now when someone eats too much and gets a tummy ache one of us will say, `That`s what you get for being such a Gus!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:41 AM

Great day!! Our last dog - a precious Boykin Spaniel - lived 14 years, and we never had a problem. But now since we are retired and have no one to keep a dog for us so we can travel some, we just enjoy our friends' dogs!! And all these messages make me so happy that we don't have a dog!!! When I think of the money I could spend on sewing machines instead of vets, I just grin!!!
But I love pets, too!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:34 PM

Well no evidence recovered so far in who did the deed. Will have to check tomorrow. They had some more peanut butter in the Kong's today. But I better becareful b/c maybe they will put two and two together and = eat fabric get yummies! Dugan hid behind the pool table today and looked at me with a very guilty face when I asked if he was the bad doggie? I really hope it doesn't cause a problem for them b/c surgery will be too much from the stories you ladies are sharing.

Kyia
Old 01-21-2010, 06:04 AM

My guys want to taste everything I sttich up...even hiding doesn't help. they visit fabric room and steal what ever they can and hide it in their crates. Have even had help 60+ lbs on my shoulder as i try to sew...cats were easier sewing companians, just put a chair next to me and they would sit & purr...any ideas you come up with please let me know.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
a friend of mine had a doberman that ... mmmmm ... passed a bra on a morning walk. she just kept walking as though she never saw it.
:-D I just can't quit laughing at this one! That's hilarious.

Cindyg
Old 01-21-2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by cindyg
Originally Posted by butterflywing
a friend of mine had a doberman that ... mmmmm ... passed a bra on a morning walk. she just kept walking as though she never saw it.
:-D I just can't quit laughing at this one! That's hilarious.

Cindyg
I laugh every time I think about this! Too funny. Not to get raunchy but I hope the owner isn't big busted! :-)
Old 01-21-2010, 10:43 AM

LOL - QB
Old 01-21-2010, 10:47 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

OH Please!!! Look at the darling faces!!! Must be one of the two legged residents of your house!! Did you ask your husband????
They don't look like they have EVER done anything wrong!!
hahahahahahahahahaha
Signed Aunt Doggie, mother to two Poms
Old 01-21-2010, 04:41 PM

Oh, what a situation!

My Toby is a husky/shepherd mix (80 lbs). The one thing I used to be able to count on was his companionship while I spent long restless nights piecing blocks.

He never tried to take anything. He spent many hours under the sewing table near my feet while I sewed.

He was and is jealous of my time playing with the noise-maker threadbanger. However, he can no longer use the stairs down to the basement sewing room. I quit sewing because I could hear him stumbling about upstairs looking for me.

I ended up getting an inexpensive second portable machine to sit at the end of a small table in the livingroom where he can visit me often, even if only for a few minutes at a time. The saleslady laughed and looked at me funny when I said I was buying a sewing machine for my dog. I am a 6ft. 2in. tall, 200 lb. guy with a beard. Made an interesting image in her mind, I guess.

It has been a hard winter for us both, he just tottered in to check on me for a minute. I am going to miss him.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:08 PM

I will never again complain about my girls (mini doxies) taking the scraps out of the trash and scattering them all over the house.