Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Enough Already  with Peter Walsh >

Enough Already with Peter Walsh

Enough Already with Peter Walsh

Old 02-22-2011, 10:06 PM

I hate to appear an idiot -
but what on earth are you talking about?
I read all 4 pages and despite some clues
I still don't know!
J.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:38 PM

What was wrong with using one of her spare bedrooms? That house looked gi-normous so you know those bedrooms weren't that small! Could have stored fabric on all 4 walls!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Darn, I wish I got that channel. I know the show would make me feel better about my addiction lol
Have you tried to find the show on Hulu? There's more and more of them on there all the time.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
I hate to appear an idiot -
but what on earth are you talking about?
I read all 4 pages and despite some clues
I still don't know!
J.
It's a show along the lines of "Hoarders" except this one is called "Enough." It's about a woman who filled her very large (at least to me) living room with quilt related items for her Quilts of Valor efforts. It looked like she and four of her friends met regularly to create the quilts. Unfortunately, her living room was so full, there was no where for family to sit and visit, and they were concerned about safety and the ability to escape the house in case of a fire.

The show's host, Peter Walsh, is a professional organizer. In order to clear the living room, making room for family visits, he asked the home owners if there was another space that could be used for the QOV effort. They decided the garage was would be a good alternative. However, the garage was packed to the ceiling so they took everything out, lining it along the driveway (supposedly ~75 yds of stuff - decorations, etc.). alot of this went to donations or was tossed.

Once cleared out, a company that makes storage units arrived and lined the three garage walls with shelving. Peter Walsh, in the meantime, was outside with the owner, telling her she could only keep 100 (or was it 200?) plastic bins of the quilting stuff that came out of the living room. This is where a lot of us got the heebie jeebies about donating things! Her quilting friends helped with this process but some of the stuff that was in the donation piles, in particular one box of plastic zip lock bags with almost completed tops, seemed odd, to say the least, to be getting rid of!

The thing that disturbed me is she didn't know what they were doing in the garage (i.e., the shelving). If it had been me, I would have wanted to know so I could organize stuff better, etc. And, I agree, they didn't give her enough work space; just one table with cutting mat and sewing machine, although they did set up one corner as a packing/shipping area. I'm guessing more tables and chairs will be added to accommodate the qulting group.

All in all, there were many questions left unanswered. She did end up with a lovely, cleaned out, living/dining area, so that is a plus. I think most of us would kill for the setup she now has in the garage. But, where did those golf clubs go? What about the decorations that she did keep? But, the show is only an hour long.

One final note... when the soldiers showed up to help, my heart went out to them. Couldn't help but think about how precious these folks are and what they're doing to preserve our way of life, hoarders or not. God bless them all!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:21 PM

Dear quilter Beth,
Thank you for telling me...what I hope happened is that everything went to someplace like her church, where she could retrieve stuff like her UFOs later away from the cameras. The TV crew might not like to be accused of throwing away something valuable. What happens off camera doesn't count. Because she and her friends made so many quilts of valor - I am guessing that somehow military friends were involved.
I like to listen to CD books from the library while I quilt or (yik) clean house, so I haven't connected my TV to the network.
Actually we used to be kinda neighbors...I am originally from Berlin, and used to go to the Conway guild meetings in the late '90s. I was one of the original members of the Berlin quilt guild, In fact I was the instructor of their first saturday workshop, which was a mystery quilt. It was the simple strip, tube pieced, diagonal pattern that I know as the Amish sunshine and shadow.
Eveybody sewed their tops, but I made everybody who finished, keep tneir folded tops with the last stitches in their machines until everybody finished.I think only two didn't finish.
One of our members was newly expecting, and it was for her baby, so I asked her to open her top first. It was her first quilt and it was really beautiful! She sat on the floor with it open in front of her and just cried happy tears! Then we all cried happy tears too!
Everybody opened their tops then, and it was chaotic fun with everybody showing their tops to everybody else!
You have the most beautiful white cat! Is it Rudy? Just another guess...
I hate snow and cold partly because I am 81 now, I moved (eventually) to Port Lavaca on the south coast of Texas!
Jeannie
Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Dear quilter Beth,
Thank you for telling me...what I hope happened is that everything went to someplace like her church, where she could retrieve stuff like her UFOs later away from the cameras. The TV crew might not like to be accused of throwing away something valuable. Jeannie
Should have mentioned that most of the donated stuff went to other Quilts of Valor groups so it didn't go to somewhere that it wouldn't be appreciated or used. Will PM you, neighbor!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:44 PM

>>>>

LOL there is a contractual thing when they do a show like that... its a guess *she cant tell*. But... like debbie said... storage shed, and I add closets and other bedrooms, its just TWO humans living there...

I am presuming a lot of that *so-called clutter* in the living area tossed around lavishly came out of closets and other bedrooms in the house, which they never showed. Coulda been cubbies and good organization INSIDE the house for the small longarm and most of the fabric and things, just organize a corner of the living area for immediate ongoing sewing.. no one should be placed in a cement block garage for quilting, and a husband placed alone in a picture-perfect huge sized living room without a sign of life, to watch tv alone. That final living room looked sterilized and human-less.
I predict a sewing corner WAS brought into the living room, later, and useful cubbies for immediate fabric, and the small longarm I bet went into one of the many bedrooms. I also think she DID go thorugh those socalled -tossed without looking* boxes of family things for a lifetime, but not during the show.. but later.
BUT, reality aside, they were polite about the show, and 300 hours of hired able-bodied help, and 3-4,000$$ of shelves.. were gained by the couple who were willing to be on the public show, and could be re-arranged and utilized better after the show was over... I think.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:50 PM

I watched this also. I would give my right arm to have a work room so big. I just loved it.

Prayers on the Wind
Wendy :-)
Old 02-25-2011, 12:36 AM

Okay. Give: what was it all about?
Old 02-26-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
This daughter can go fly a kite.
I'm with you on that one! I didn't notice the storage shed,but I hope you are all correct. I couldn't begin to imagine the dollar value of all the fabric that was eliminated! But if she knew the other ladies who took all that fabric for their QOV groups, she could always go over to their garage/sewing rooms and search for a certain color or print if she needed to.