Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: epidural question

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone
    As a grandmom-to-be I am wondering about epidurals. My DD thinks she would like one STAT when she enter the hospital. Now back in the day many took Lamaze classes and had the baby without drugs. I was one of those and am wondering about the safety both for Mom and baby. Thanks for any insight.

piney
    Everyone has different levels of pain they can tolerate. My first I did with no drugs at all, my second I did with minimal drugs, and my third I had an epidural with. My experience wasn't that great. I had back labor and it doesn't help with that. So I want through the pain of getting the epidural and it didn't work like it could have.
    A friend of mine had it(our babies were 6 weeks apart) and she just loved it. This was her 5th child...a little surprise baby, her youngest before that was 15.
    Lol, and you'll have to inform her that she won't get one as soon as she walks into the hospital, that she has to be so far into labor before they will give it to her.
    I wish her the best for a quick and painless labor. Hope you post baby pics. :)

There are so many variables - you just never know what might happen! We did the Lamaze classes; with our first, spent 18 hrs in labour then an epidural then a few hours later an c-section - under epidural - DH got to stay in the OR, first to hold our new baby boy. Next two were also long labours, epidurals and 'VBAC' (vaginal birth after cesearian) - with both of my girls, we were almost at the decision point to have to go cesearian again, they finally turned at the last minute and out they came!

Both the births for the girls - only one side 'took' - really bizarre having relief only on one side!

The best advice I'd offer - do your research, know what the options are, be prepared for anything!

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Typically, you have to be dilated to a certain point before you are given one, it can stop your contractions.
    Also, if you are too far along (dilated) when you get to the hospital, they may not give you one LOL if they think you are going to deliver fairly soon :roll: :D:D:D
    Agreed. I had one two years ago when my daughter was born. They wouldn't give me one right away. They gave me injectable drugs first (against my better judgement.) When they did give me the epidural, it was great...except one little spot on my left side which was unaffected...so I still felt contractions there. This was good for when I started pushing..helped me know it was time to push. However, I too ended up have a C-section when the Doc decided my pelvis wasn't shaped right either. My daughter is almost two and the most beautiful little person on the planet! She'll be ok. It hurts, but she can take it! The Doc's won't let her go through unnecessary pain.
    Congrats on impending Gramma-hood! Best wishes for Momma and Baby!

I think the best thing to do is leave the decision up to the mother and doctor and refrain from any negative statements like, "when I had mine I didn't need it" etc. New mom's have enough worries and things they will feel guilty about. They don't need to feel looked down on by others or to feel pressured into doing it the "right" way. There is no right way as everyone is different. I had 2 epidurals and I napped during labor and enjoyed my deliveries.

Blog Entries
    Whatever she wants to do is the right decision for her.
    I was supposed to go in to be induced, and found out my DS was full breach. The decision was out of my hands at that point because the standard of care was C-section for breach deliveries. I'm just glad they found out before I spent a day in labour!
    I firmly believe that no woman has the right to tell another how to give birth.(even if you're her mother and have strong opinions one way or another) OK, I'm off the soapbox now.

epidurals are drugs. i do not approve of giving drugs to babies, unborn or not unless there is a critical situation. they definitely are not necessary, as before they existed, nobody had them!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappy
    epidurals are drugs. i do not approve of giving drugs to babies, unborn or not unless there is a critical situation. they definitely are not necessary, as before they existed, nobody had them!
    Hmmm, pretty strong point of view. I'm glad you had easy deliveries. But if we follow the "they used to....." theory, we'd also have to add " they used to lose mom's in delivery, they used to lose more babies at delivery, they used to have more birth defects from difficult labour, the fathers never got to watch (because they'd be in the parlour with their cigars) etc, etc, etc.
    An epidural does not give drugs to the baby. It is a local anesthetic that affects the mom.
    Giving the mother narcotics to dull the pain (shots) DOES affect the baby as they cross the placenta barrier.
    The risks of epidurals now is a LOT less that even 15 years ago.
    As another poster said - you wouldn't have a tooth pulled without anesthetic , would you ----- they used to!
    Just because one mother can pop out babies without needing pain control does not give her the position to dictate other's needs.
    Just sayin.

My Ddil had an epidural it paralyzed her legs but had no effect on on pains. It all depends so it is a personal decision. It may or may not help and they don;t usually give it until it is almost over anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappy
    An epidural is a drug given to the mother, but it doesn't reach the baby. It stays in the spinal cavity and the baby doesn't get any of it. It doesn't save your life, but it saved the lives of both my first kids. Of course nobody had them before they existed...how could they? Scientific advances should not be put down. I am sure our grandmothers would have taken them if they were available.

Nothing wrong with an epidural. When I had my son four years ago I was told that I could have one at any point that I wanted it. I could have gotten it when I first walked in. I decided to wait until I thought I really wanted it. I was dilated to a 9 before I got mine. It didn't totally take away the pain but it definitely helped ease it. And it helped me relax. So when it was finally time to push I was ready and able. Less than 5 min of pushing and my son was here. The more mommy is relaxed the better it is. I say if she wants the epidural let her have it. Also the day I went in I was also told about all of my options and what the pros and cons are of everything. This wasn't the first time I had this explained either. This was an informed decision

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I have a feeling this topic is going to get locked!!!
    Let's not get too opinionated here!! Our experiences are as varied as our quilts and there is no right or wrong. :D

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by shequilts
    As one who once taught LazMaze classes, I can tell you this is the way to go. Why suffer? It does not harm the baby and can allow the Mom to cooperate better.
    As one who until recently taught HypnoBirthing Childbirth Education classes, I am so surprised you feel this way! Labor does NOT have to be suffering. There are literally thousands of women who give birth pain free, including me and both my business partners. We are not freaks of nature, I assure you. Training and education can make a HUGE difference in ones perception and expectation.

Besides which, the drug used in an epidural is fentanyl, a narcotic that is also used as one of the "street drugs" our country is fighting the drug war against. As a narcotic it DOES cross the placenta and affect the baby, even if he appears to be okay in a few hours.

Most reputable hospitals and doctors do not recommend starting an epidural extremely early in labor because it can slow down the process, lower blood pressure, affect the baby's heart rate, and require the use of other drugs to correct the problems the narcotic caused. We call it the domino effect that leads to a c-section in labor.

Guess I'm still passionate about giving every baby the best chance at his start in life; it should no longer be about the mother at that point. Off my soap box now. Sorry.

Jan in VA

4 babies and no epiderals option at that time also spinal tap said no way did lamaze

I had two epidurals { Spinal Blocks} and the only thing the Doctor's told me at the time was that years down the road they could cause me to have Authritis of the spine trouble and he was right I do suffer from Arthritis of the spine, so bad I wished that I would have thought more about that advise
    before taking the themback then :shock:

If she does decide to get an epidural, be sure that they give it 'soon enough but not too soon' (like I have any clue how to tell when that point is, LOL!). I do know that giving it as the baby is crowning, as happened with my first, is useless and led to my decision to try natural with the others. I did have a local for the snip and the stitches afterwards.
    DD had said she wanted whatever drugs they would give her, but by the time she went to the hospital it was past time for them to be effective, so she ended up doing natural anyway. Thankfully DGS only weighed 6 lb 9oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    I didn't want one, but I wound up getting one after I was in labor for 20 hours and felt like I just needed to rest. It relaxed me enough to the point I had my daughter an hour after I got the epidural. Without it, I probably would have had to have a C-Section. My daughter was 10 pounds 2 oz at birth and I didn't feel a thing.
    I was in labor for 16 hours because the epidural would not work and so in the midst of all the time, my bladder dropped. Since had to have it tied up; still have some problems. 61 years old now. Suggest you get an epidural as soon as doctor says it is okay.

I have had two c-sections, one with epidural, so I could remain awake - I had placenta praevia and my baby was delivered 1 month early....Both of us did beautifully. The second I had under anaesthetic...delivered a healthy baby and though I missed "the action" bonded with him straight away and no problems there either.

Each birth is different, some people find it easy, others not....I don't think there's any right or wrong way. You have to look at the options and pick the one that is right for you and your baby.

Luckily, this is not one for us to decide. It's between your daughter and her doctor. Of course, these days she will surely read all the pros and cons on the Internet before she decides. They won't give it to her right away, and she does need to understand that, so she can cope with whatever labor she will experience. I had an epidural for my first, after many hours of labor, and it was a relief, but I did not like losing control. Baby was vigorously alert. My two later babies were less complicated births and an epidural would have been overkill in those situations, in my opinion.

Lots of judgement here. This is a personal decision between mom-to-be and her doctor. Should we go back to the old days, when mom was alone in labor and delivery, dad in the waiting room? Forced to be shaved and have enema while contracting? As an L&D nurse I can say that we do nothing to hurt the baby, IV drugs are only given early in labor and they wear off quickly, long before baby is born and needs to breathe. Epidural drugs are injected into the epidural space. They never get into the bloodstream, and do not make either mom or baby sleepy. Trust your daughter and her doctor to make the right decision for her.

I took lamaze with my first, did not want an epidural. Had to have a C-Section and thus an epidural. Planned the C-Section with my 2nd & 3rd, had the epidural with the 2nd, had a Saddleblock with the 3rd.(Dr. suggested it) I was sick afterwards with the epidurals, but the Saddleblock left me feeling paralyzed from the belly down for many hours after delivery. I did not like that.

3 kids all natural, but my longest labor was 5 hours, last one in 1 hour.

[quote=amandasgramma]I had natural childbirth --- if I were to do it again -- I'd have an epidural......and a Mai Tai.......and morphine........and and and............ :)

I'm with you. I had five and I say "Give me all you got and wake me when it's over!" LOL

My doctor had one with her babies and so did I. She will have to wait till she is dialated to a certain point but for me it sped up my delivery - my nurse told us when I wanted to be checked that because of my epidural it would be a few more hours. To her surprise she ran out yelling to call Dr. I was having my baby now! Also my baby was VERY alert when he was born! Let your granddaughter decide.

Never had one. Having listened to horror stories about how bad labor was from my grandmother I decided to have drugs with the first one.They gave me Demoral then yelled at me when I finally woke up because I didnt help get myself into bed. Bed? What bed? I didn't even know what I had for 24 hours after giving birth. And I felt like c**p for weeks afterward.
    2 more natural all the way. I was fine . I was relaxed maybe because I didn't go to the hospital until I absolutely had to, had my kids quickly. Ready to go home a few hours later.
    I was offered an epidural and I thought about it until they told me where the needle was going.NOPE I am doing fine.

Had first son at hospital with all the bells, cords and moniter's and drugs. DR believed in Demerol but not epidural.
    Had second son at home with a midwife, no drugs and I given a choice I would do the midwife option.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast